+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Explaining Anzac Day and war to a 3/4 year old.

Starting next year we will take the kids to dawn service but I want to be able to explain to DD what it's all about which inevitably means explaining what war is.

How do we do that in an age appropriate way? How do you respond to questions about why we went to war. Given I don't 'agree' with war, I don't want to indicate that I do but I want to show that we are still grateful for what our service people did for us all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you google Defence Community Organisation they have some kid friendly books available to explain about the defence force..not sure whether they go into depth on the history of ANZAC day but they would be the people to call for recommenations on where to find such a book

3. The Following User Says Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We explain to our girls that Anzac day is when we thank all those people that make and keep us and other people safe. When Dh went on his deployments we always told the girls that daddy was trying to make other little girls and boys safe.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    At that age I think it's too young to completely understand, my 4 year old DS understands a lot of things so I thought this year I would explain it and bought a great book called " why are they marching daddy" and read it to him but it still went a bit over his head so I've left it and will bring it up again next year and take him to the service and the March ( he starts school next year and his school is quite heavily involved with ANZAC day celebrations so that will help as well)

He is watching the March on TV with my mum who just said its a soldiers celebration day today and he seemed happy with that explanation ! My dad was in Vietnam and he's definitely not ready to hear about how poppy went to war yet

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have never missed a year of the ANZAC dawn service, but this is the first year I have really had to offer explanation of the ANZAC story, war, soldiers etc to my 3yo (my youngest of 3). I just tried to keep it simple explaining that is "a special ceremony to remember the soldiers who died in the wars to keep us safe" etc,... it obviously didn't go too well as when I woke him at 4.30am, the first thing he asked me was "Will they have Nerf Guns at the Dawn Service Mum?" ...oh dear, hopefully next year his understanding will be better!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've always said its about the soldiers who fought in a war to protect us and keep our country safe. We remember the men and woman who died to protect us and there to support the servicemen and women who continue to protect or country.

My family is military and I have never missed a dawn service. Both my boys went from birth , my DS1 had the concept from 3 and DS2 will be told the same thing. I don't sugar coat or avoid it, and we make point of remembering the men and women who fought for us and continue to do so.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to silverbreeze For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just explained to my 4yo that we are saying thankyou to people who have worked very hard to keep our country a safe place to live. Probably next year I will say that people have had to fight hard, and some have died, to make sure we live in a safe country. I dont like war, i dont think that anyone likes war, but sometimes it is neccessary. This is the view point I will be portraying, that it is sometimes needed to keep us safe, amd we are so so thankful to those who have sacrifices for that cause.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (26-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (27-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD is 4 and when we enrolled her at kindergarten they asked if there was anything we wanted the kids to learn about - i said ANZAC day.

We also did a little bit of digging to find out who we were related to and photos etc . Basically anything age appropriate we could find (eg we found a list of what one soldiers belongings were that were sent home).

DD now understands that the soldiers fought for us to have our lives as we have them today.