+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Transitioning away from feeding to sleep

Dd is 9 months old and we've been happily feeding to sleep up to this point. It works well for us but we're now coming to a point in time where we need to make some changes. I'm heading back to work 2 days a week at the end of June and dd will be at childcare for those days. Obviously they can't feed her to sleep so I need to put in place another settling cue for her. She sleeps with a comforter but hasn't really learnt to associate him with falling asleep. I'm thinking about starting to play lullabies while I feed her to sleep to see if I can slowly transition her to a point where she'll settle to the music while just being patted. Has anyone tried something similar? Any advice about how long I should pair the two cues? What step comes after feeding to sleep while playing the music? I'm worried it'll be too sudden to go straight from music and fed to sleep to music alone. I hope this is making sense to someone. Any advice would be appreciated.

A small point - dd does have suspected digestive issues which means she wakes through the night with wind pain. I'm not looking to change how she resettles in the night. Just how she goes down initially.
    Last edited by BettyV; 24-04-2015 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same concerns when my 10 month old started day care, I always either feed or carry him in the sling to sleep. And I still do! Apparently they had to rock him and hold him for the first couple of weeks, but he's since learnt the sleep cues that are unique to child care and easily goes down in the cot there.

I know that doesn't answer your question, but don't stress too much if you don't quite get there in time, how your DD sleeps at home might be totally different to how she sleeps at day care

I'm sure plenty of other people will have some great advice about transitioning away from feeding to sleep. I vaguely tried to condition DS to associate some music with sleep, but was worried that he'd instead learn to associate it with feeding if I paired the two. So I suspect introducing the music after feeding has commenced but before sleep would be better than turn music on, then start feeding, then sleep.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @deku. It's comforting to hear your son was able to sleep at daycare even though he fed to sleep at home. I just hate the thought that dd might end up crying herself to sleep there.
    I think turning the music on after I start feeding is a good suggestion.

Can anyone else offer some advice or share their experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Could you contact the daycare and see what their routine is for getting bub to sleep? And try to do something similar at home?
    - no point trying to put effort into a new sleep cue if it's not what they do at daycare.

From what I've hear after a month or so bubs are able to play by one set of rules at daycare and one at home.

Good luck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    I'm a little different because DS self-weaned so he literally stopped feeding to sleep instantly :-(, but he still had a bottle before naps for a long time.

I just wanted to pop my head in and say in my experience the CC staff should follow what you want as much as possible. Now obviously they can't BF, but if your DD still needs rocking to sleep then they will do that. If you get her to a point of bottle then bed then they will do that. I can't imagine them leaving her to cry, even if only because it would be so disruptive for the other babies and would make their job harder.

I know the lead up to CC can be such a stressful time. Entrusting your precious cargo to someone else is so hard. Don't put too much pressure on yourself to have her 'ready' x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I spoke to the daycare carers on Thursday and they will do whatever I ask re sleeping. So if I want to send a musical toy for her to listen to as she settles that would be okay. However they did add the caveat that they can't always rock to sleep because it's quite time intensive and they have 8 babies to 2 carers. @harvs it is hard letting go a little. I'm trying not to stress myself out about it but I'm a bit of a control freak. Maybe I should still try adding the music to her settling "routine" but not focus too much on stopping the feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Subbing too.

I have always wondered how they handle settling so many babies at childcare. It's not like they can prioritise the sleep of one bub over the other! Or do they?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Both my girls were cuddled to sleep at daycare and by other carers but fed to sleep by me. They worked out the differences pretty quickly.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 10 month old is BF right before every sleep at home, but on her 1 daycare day a week she refuses milk (no biggie, drinks water/eats food), the carers do my routine of zip into sleeping bag, give dummy & pat her back a few times.
    Took about 3 weeks for her to work out that's just how it's done at daycare. She usually sleeps more at daycare now than she does at home!
    I was amazed but babies don't take long to work stuff like that out 😊

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (25-04-2015)