+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

    Default Reading eggs program for 3yr old

    Just wondering.....I was in Big w the other day and I noticed there's reading eggs programs for computers.....are they worth it for a 3 yr old? Useful? A waste? He has it on his iPad.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    my house
    Posts
    17,710
    Thanks
    1,392
    Thanked
    7,295
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think reading eggs is great but not for a 3 yo unless they show a huge interest. They will learn how to read in school and might find the first year boring if they can read and the rest of the class can't.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

    Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think reading eggs is great but not for a 3 yo unless they show a huge interest. They will learn how to read in school and might find the first year boring if they can read and the rest of the class can't.

    Thank you for your response. He will be 3 soon and just wondered if I should get it, he has it on the iPad but he just presses the screen, I thought it would help him.

  5. #4
    BH-KatiesMum's Avatar
    BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Perth WA
    Posts
    22,410
    Thanks
    5,372
    Thanked
    5,815
    Reviews
    3
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    DD was 3 (maybe 3.5) when we joined it.

    It is a fantastic program .... but like everything its only good if it suits you.

    - at 3.5 she was too little to use the mouse (they didnt have an ipad app at that time) so I had to do it with her and help her a lot

    - she was SUPER interested in learning how to read. We did it because she was trying desperately to learn to read and I had no idea how to teach her (and school were not willing to help ). Its not something I would recommend for that age unless your child was really, really wanting to learn to read.

    - I did also buy the books and workbooks to do with it, and for that age these were great. She got a lot out of the physical books/excercises etc as they were easier and better for her than the computer program.

    - as she got older, and better at reading (and better able to use the computer/concentrate for longer etc) the program got better and more interesting for her as well. Its not just for those just beginning but is good up to about Grade 3 or so, and has lots of fun things/games/activities as well

    So ... I would say 3 is a little early, but if your DS is really interested - buy a long term subscription as he will use it over the next 2 or 3 years.

    If he isnt really desperate to learn to read just yet ... then other apps for letters/phonics/sight words would be better at this stage

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

    Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,505
    Thanks
    365
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    His just getting interested in books. He can't read, he knows the abc (if he sings it) knows some letters.

    I didn't know you had to pay for the ones at big w, but that's ok. His not at a stage where he will sit and write or things like that. But loves his iPad.

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    17,747
    Thanks
    5,085
    Thanked
    8,691
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    His just getting interested in books. He can't read, he knows the abc (if he sings it) knows some letters.

    I didn't know you had to pay for the ones at big w, but that's ok. His not at a stage where he will sit and write or things like that. But loves his iPad.
    I have never done reading eggs or any reading apps with my kids, not that I think they aren't good or useful we just never really thought of it.
    We've always just tried to read with them and to them during the day and at bedtime and I honestly think that has helped them develop a love of books and reading.
    So my advice would be look at reading programs/apps further down the track if you want to but in the meantime just enjoy books together.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

    Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    4,110
    Thanks
    1,604
    Thanked
    2,087
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    DD was 3 (maybe 3.5) when we joined it.

    It is a fantastic program .... but like everything its only good if it suits you.

    - at 3.5 she was too little to use the mouse (they didnt have an ipad app at that time) so I had to do it with her and help her a lot

    - she was SUPER interested in learning how to read. We did it because she was trying desperately to learn to read and I had no idea how to teach her (and school were not willing to help ). Its not something I would recommend for that age unless your child was really, really wanting to learn to read.

    - I did also buy the books and workbooks to do with it, and for that age these were great. She got a lot out of the physical books/excercises etc as they were easier and better for her than the computer program.

    - as she got older, and better at reading (and better able to use the computer/concentrate for longer etc) the program got better and more interesting for her as well. Its not just for those just beginning but is good up to about Grade 3 or so, and has lots of fun things/games/activities as well

    So ... I would say 3 is a little early, but if your DS is really interested - buy a long term subscription as he will use it over the next 2 or 3 years.

    If he isnt really desperate to learn to read just yet ... then other apps for letters/phonics/sight words would be better at this stage
    This was my DD exactly (except I'm a teacher, so do know how to teach children to read). I'd opened it up online to check it out and she was immediately attracted to it. She would sit on my lap and point at the screen while I did the mouse. She was already showing lots of interest in reading and lots of pre-reading skills.

    It's a great program but I agree that at that age I would only get it if he was showing a big interest as it's really designed for 4+ years old.

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    11,104
    Thanks
    7,258
    Thanked
    5,872
    Reviews
    11
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I use it with my Kindy class. Some love it and others aren't interested.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Reading eggs program
    By 2BlueBirds in forum General Parenting Tips, Advice & Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 27-02-2015, 18:48
  2. 5yo and reading
    By Anjalee in forum Preschools and Schools
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 13-11-2014, 11:54
  3. Reading eggs
    By Jensha in forum General Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-04-2014, 20:33

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
The MAMA Centre
Pregnancy, birth & beyond care with your very own midwife. Home & hospital birth support, VBACs, antenatal & postnatal care by medicare eligible midwives & holistic health practitioners. Massage, chiro, naturopathy, yoga, counselling & beauty therapy
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!