+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Reading eggs program for 3yr old

Just wondering.....I was in Big w the other day and I noticed there's reading eggs programs for computers.....are they worth it for a 3 yr old? Useful? A waste? He has it on his iPad.

Thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I think reading eggs is great but not for a 3 yo unless they show a huge interest. They will learn how to read in school and might find the first year boring if they can read and the rest of the class can't.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I think reading eggs is great but not for a 3 yo unless they show a huge interest. They will learn how to read in school and might find the first year boring if they can read and the rest of the class can't.

Thank you for your response. He will be 3 soon and just wondered if I should get it, he has it on the iPad but he just presses the screen, I thought it would help him.

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    DD was 3 (maybe 3.5) when we joined it.

It is a fantastic program .... but like everything its only good if it suits you.

- at 3.5 she was too little to use the mouse (they didnt have an ipad app at that time) so I had to do it with her and help her a lot

- she was SUPER interested in learning how to read. We did it because she was trying desperately to learn to read and I had no idea how to teach her (and school were not willing to help ). Its not something I would recommend for that age unless your child was really, really wanting to learn to read.

- I did also buy the books and workbooks to do with it, and for that age these were great. She got a lot out of the physical books/excercises etc as they were easier and better for her than the computer program.

- as she got older, and better at reading (and better able to use the computer/concentrate for longer etc) the program got better and more interesting for her as well. Its not just for those just beginning but is good up to about Grade 3 or so, and has lots of fun things/games/activities as well

So ... I would say 3 is a little early, but if your DS is really interested - buy a long term subscription as he will use it over the next 2 or 3 years.

If he isnt really desperate to learn to read just yet ... then other apps for letters/phonics/sight words would be better at this stage

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    His just getting interested in books. He can't read, he knows the abc (if he sings it) knows some letters.

I didn't know you had to pay for the ones at big w, but that's ok. His not at a stage where he will sit and write or things like that. But loves his iPad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    His just getting interested in books. He can't read, he knows the abc (if he sings it) knows some letters.

I didn't know you had to pay for the ones at big w, but that's ok. His not at a stage where he will sit and write or things like that. But loves his iPad.
    I have never done reading eggs or any reading apps with my kids, not that I think they aren't good or useful we just never really thought of it.
    We've always just tried to read with them and to them during the day and at bedtime and I honestly think that has helped them develop a love of books and reading.
    So my advice would be look at reading programs/apps further down the track if you want to but in the meantime just enjoy books together.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by BH-KatiesMum View Post
    DD was 3 (maybe 3.5) when we joined it.

It is a fantastic program .... but like everything its only good if it suits you.

- at 3.5 she was too little to use the mouse (they didnt have an ipad app at that time) so I had to do it with her and help her a lot

- she was SUPER interested in learning how to read. We did it because she was trying desperately to learn to read and I had no idea how to teach her (and school were not willing to help ). Its not something I would recommend for that age unless your child was really, really wanting to learn to read.

- I did also buy the books and workbooks to do with it, and for that age these were great. She got a lot out of the physical books/excercises etc as they were easier and better for her than the computer program.

- as she got older, and better at reading (and better able to use the computer/concentrate for longer etc) the program got better and more interesting for her as well. Its not just for those just beginning but is good up to about Grade 3 or so, and has lots of fun things/games/activities as well

So ... I would say 3 is a little early, but if your DS is really interested - buy a long term subscription as he will use it over the next 2 or 3 years.

If he isnt really desperate to learn to read just yet ... then other apps for letters/phonics/sight words would be better at this stage
    This was my DD exactly (except I'm a teacher, so do know how to teach children to read). I'd opened it up online to check it out and she was immediately attracted to it. She would sit on my lap and point at the screen while I did the mouse. She was already showing lots of interest in reading and lots of pre-reading skills.

It's a great program but I agree that at that age I would only get it if he was showing a big interest as it's really designed for 4+ years old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I use it with my Kindy class. Some love it and others aren't interested.