+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Ours watch it at the weekend- max 2 hrs a day. That's it.

So, can't see how I'm being defensive. Stating that "tv is bad for your kids and will cause XYZ" is awful. Yes, perhaps it has the potential to cause XYZ. That doesn't mean it will- which is the way Lilaah was posting.
    I don't think she posted "xyz will cause" she used language like "associated with" which were from the research.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    Ours watch it at the weekend- max 2 hrs a day. That's it.

So, can't see how I'm being defensive. Stating that "tv is bad for your kids and will cause XYZ" is awful. Yes, perhaps it has the potential to cause XYZ. That doesn't mean it will- which is the way Lilaah was posting.

If your kids only watch 2 hours on the weekend, great. Mine watch way more than that and I'm not offended.

And too much TV is bad for your kids.

We have a massive childhood obesity problem. Screen time is a major factor.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (25-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    If your kids only watch 2 hours on the weekend, great. Mine watch way more than that and I'm not offended.

And too much TV is bad for your kids.

We have a massive childhood obesity problem. Screen time is a major factor.
    I agree. The research is out there, and plenty of it. I'm a little surprised at the reactions on this thread tbh. Like any research, it is not going to apply 100% to every child out there. It's not saying these are guaranteed to be the impacts on *your* child. But knowledge and information is good - it means you can make informed choices. That's all. It's not about telling people how to parent.

Another factor to consider is sedentary behaviour, which is a by-product of screen time, whether it be TV or devices. Sedentary behavior is having a huge impact on the physical and emotional wellbeing of people of all ages, but especially children.

I get it - my son watches waaaaaaaaay too much TV and I do get a little twitchy when I read the research. I feel defensive. The bottom line is I make a choice that works for my family (although if I'm being really honest it is sometimes out of laziness as well), and I try to balance out that choice with other activities, lots of interaction and face-to-face time.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (25-04-2015),Tinkers  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My kids have too much electronics on the weekend, age appropriate things but too much and we are working on it.

I did find that turning the TV off in the morning was the best thing ever - breakfast taking 30 or 45mins on a school morning drive me batsh!t crazy, eating should not take that long. They spent more time watching than eating then complained their cereal was soggy - I just put an end to it. It took a few days for them to adjust and me too - in the hour and a half before we go to school they can make a massive mess but what can you do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I read all the replies and I don't have anything else to add except that I'm obviously not the author of the research so I'm not going to defend its limitations, which every research study inevitable has. I just want to say that for me, I look at the findings through the lens that some of the worlds leading experts in Paediatrics and child development read those studies and thought they were sufficiently good enough to make recommendations off of them and when it comes to making decisions about my own kids TV watching, I won't dismiss that.

@DT75 I'm not here to attack you, I'm literally just sharing some findings.

have a nice weekend everyone.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 25-04-2015 at 01:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamyMummy View Post
    I'm the mum who has the tv on all day everyday when home. My 15 month old watches maybe 20-30 mins a day.

I think personally there is more important things to stress over other than Tv.

I'd limit it if you are concerned.

Edit- regardless of wether the tv is on or not my child will still try and eat cat biscuits.
    ^^^:This

After reading this thread I am definitely feeling like the worst parent who's doing everything that's going to guarantee my ds has speech issues and adhd when he's older

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by munchkin275; 25-04-2015 at 16:55.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Tbh this thread has made me feel better as I always knew TV was bad but it reassures me to know there are plenty of others out there who let their kids watch TV. As for speech delay etc, I'm not partic bothered if my child knows 8-10 words less as I'm bringing him up bilingual so I think the extra language more than makes up for it!

For the record although I don't necessarily agree in the research as I also think there are too many variables, I think lilahh is entitled to her opinion and if she wants to make decisions based on her research then fair play to her.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh2489 For This Useful Post:

DreamyMummy  (25-04-2015),harvs  (25-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm trying to stop having the TV on all day because my DD isn't interested! As a single mum from day one, I had it on for noise and to feel like there was a little more going on...it was hard to entertain a little one 100% on your own, 24/7. But I honestly think it was great for DD. She was never the sort of child to just sit and watch, and 'tune out' so to speak. She's incredibly bright and engaged, would pay attention to the music and some other stuff, then continue playing. The only time I would actually put her in front of it was in her high chair with a toy or two so I could shower. I'd usually let her watch Dora and it taught her SO much. It literally taught her to talk. She learned the alphabet and numbers from it (she knew all upper & lower case letters and numbers from 1-20 before she was 2). It hasn't affected her negatively at all and I don't feel bad about her watching either TV or DVDs nowadays, but as I said I'm only just now realising that I can probably take a bit of my own TV time back as I just have ABC2 on out of habit and she barely pays attention. Sometimes she'll ask to watch something on the iPad and given that she doesn't nap anymore, I'm happy for her to watch a Play School episode for quiet time. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on this but OP, if you feel it's causing problems then maybe implement some structure to the TV watching in your house, be firm and remember you are the parent, you make the rules. It might result in some tantrums but you'll probably be surprised, kids adapt quickly! Just be ready with a distraction before it happens Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by babyla View Post
    I don't think she posted "xyz will cause" she used language like "associated with" which were from the research.
    You must not have read the article. It's an extremely convincing read that screen time for under 2's causes language and cognition problems.
    She did. And, actually, the article doesn't say that. It says it has the potential to harm... The above 2 sentences are what bothered me.

Also, discussing/debating in a thread isn't getting defensive. I'm tired of reading "you're being defensive" when someone is only discussing/trying to make a point.
    Last edited by DT75; 25-04-2015 at 20:18. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son started talking Spanish after Dora. I had no idea what he was talking about lol

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (25-04-2015),amcyus  (26-04-2015),DT75  (25-04-2015),RaraMum  (30-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (25-04-2015),VicPark  (26-04-2015)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast