+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Our TV is on abc for kids ALL DAY. He will watch what he wants and walk away and play if he's not interested. We are a free for all in the family with screen time and they actually self regulate really well. They have outside time, play time and TV time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's a well adjusted 4 year old now and have no issues at all
    This is us too! It's in all day. If DD wants to use the iPad I turn it to a channel I want to watch. We go out every day to either the park, a friends house, the shops, or for lunch. She also plays by herself or with me. So it's not an issue for us....

Quote Originally Posted by goldencrumble View Post
    I don't have an issue with how much kids watch TV. But in our house if you tantrum over the tv it automatically goes off, whether it's been on for 5 mins or 2 hrs. I don't tolerate tantrums about tv.
    This too. If she gets upset or tantrums about it, it either goes off or into something I want to watch.

My DD is 3 and so switched on. She knows things I often think how the heck do you know that, then we watch a rerun of a cartoon and that's where she has learnt it.

OP I would set rules around it's use and be consistent with them. Guidelines are guidelines, they aren't hard and fast rules and at the end of the day if you're kids have had a mixture of 'experiences' and not just TV you're doing okay!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I've got clear rules around TV, it goes on once a day, after lunch for around 30-45 minutes.

The kids know not to ask at any other time and having such a set time removed any possibility of whinging or tantrums.

I would put some clear guidelines around it.

Also, someone mentioned about TV being better than eating cat biscuits while you're cooking dinner, kids don't need to be entertained by their parents all day, if you are busy doing something, it's ok to leave them to their own devices, in fact I think it's better. They need to be able to entertain themselves.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Crumpet87  (25-04-2015),Starfish30  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    It's hard to not let an under 2yo watch any tv when there's other kids in the house. My youngest is 2, and only really paid attention to the tv in the last 6 months.

My kids probably do watch too much tv. But it's only ever abckids or nick jr. They are 6, 4, 2. But they are also out of the house every day. We go out in the mornings to gym, then home for my 2yo nap. Then we go out on the afternoon for school run and park. My 6 yo does 3 dancing classes a week, girl guides and swimming lessons. My 4 yo does footy training 2 afternoons a week, footy on Saturdays and swimming lessons. My 2yo starts swimming lessons next week. We are always at the park every day. So I'm not concerned if my children have more than the recommended screen time, they are very active anyway.

But it I think the problem here is you work full time from home and it's impossible to work in that situation.

I would take the kids out in the morning to park, come home for lunch and the 16 month old nap. Then you can get work done while the older one watches tv. I think if this isn't possible you should look at daycare a couple of says a week.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 24-04-2015 at 13:54. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Free maybe... Informative not.

One link says that kids learn less from TV programs than they do from equivalent live presentations (ie engagement with mum it dad teaching then the same thing). Well duh. The problem is - it doesn't take into account that parents can not engage with their kids teaching them things 24/7... It doesn't go into whether or not 30 minutes of Sesame Street is more or less beneficial than bub eating the cat biscuits or dog poo because mum is busy cooking dinner.

The other article says there's not enough evidence to say young bubs learn from TV and it may possibly be harmful. Not really a convincing read.

I think I will risk the 30 minutes of my bub watching Sesame Street or his baby einstein DVD... Worst case scenario it's slightly less productive than eating cat biscuits - I figure though bub will still end up with an equivalent amount of brain cells though considering he was breastfed and the research shows that's beneficial too 1-1 = 0.
    You must not have read the article. It's an extremely convincing read that screen time for under 2's causes language and cognition problems. I've taken the findings to save you the trouble of reading the article:

- For each hour of baby DVD's (i.e. Baby Einstein) that infants 7-16 months watched, they knew on average about 6–8 fewer words
    - Watching 2 or more hours per day before 12 months was associated with a sixfold increase in the likelihood of language delay
    - Watching Sesame street before 3 years of age is associated with a language delay
    - Each hour of average daily television viewing before age of 3 years was associated with poorer performance on various IQ measures
    - The more TV children watch as infants (before age 3), the more likely they are to have attentional problems related to ADHD at age 7
    - Both violent and non-violent content viewed by infants is linked to attention problems

Cat biscuits would be far better for your infant than watching TV. Despite knowing the above, I let my 18 month old DS1 watch 20-30 mins of TV every few days when I was desperate, because you gotta do what you gotta do. But don't just pooh the research- it's there, and it's crystal clear. It's bad for infants.
    Last edited by Lilahh; 24-04-2015 at 13:57.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lilahh For This Useful Post:

Blessedwith3boys  (24-04-2015),Crumpet87  (25-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-04-2015)

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post

Cat biscuits would be far better for your infant than watching TV.
    Actually our cat biscuits are a choking hazard. Somehow TV seems like the lesser of two evils in this household!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Chunkydunks  (24-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-04-2015),VicPark  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxwell's Silver Hammer View Post
    Turn it off. Kids do not need tv.
    sure they dont need it, they also dont need toys etc

I sure as heck didnt *need* the kfc I just ate but hey I liked it

op if you feel theyre watching to much then limit it, my toddler doesnt watch tv as he WONT, ive tried, good god Ive tried because I'd love to be able to get 45 minutes of peace without him being a terror lol

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    as for the harming kids thing
    my nephew is very advanced in his use and understanding of language development and has had the t.v going in background his whole life, he knows his entire alphabet and recognises all his numbers as well

he's the same age as my ds who is being assesed for potential speech problems ... we dont even have a t.v aerial so the most he gets is like 1 abc for kids episode on the ipod once a day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default 16 month old obsessed with watching TV!! Help!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    You must not have read the article. It's an extremely convincing read that screen time for under 2's causes language and cognition problems. I've taken the findings to save you the trouble of reading the article:

- For each hour of baby DVD's (i.e. Baby Einstein) that infants 7-16 months watched, they knew on average about 6–8 fewer words
    - Watching 2 or more hours per day before 12 months was associated with a sixfold increase in the likelihood of language delay
    - Watching Sesame street before 3 years of age is associated with a language delay
    - Each hour of average daily television viewing before age of 3 years was associated with poorer performance on various IQ measures
    - The more TV children watch as infants (before age 3), the more likely they are to have attentional problems related to ADHD at age 7
    - Both violent and non-violent content viewed by infants is linked to attention problems

Cat biscuits would be far better for your infant than watching TV. Despite knowing the above, I let my 18 month old DS1 watch 20-30 mins of TV every few days when I was desperate, because you gotta do what you gotta do. But don't just pooh the research- it's there, and it's crystal clear. It's bad for infants.
    Was your bub breastfed until 2? Because if he wasn't he's still screwed (according to the research).

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (24-04-2015),grumpybump  (27-04-2015),heplusme  (24-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default 16 month old obsessed with watching TV!! Help!!

I'm the mum who has the tv on all day everyday when home. My 15 month old watches maybe 20-30 mins a day.

I think personally there is more important things to stress over other than Tv.

I'd limit it if you are concerned.

Edit- regardless of wether the tv is on or not my child will still try and eat cat biscuits.
    Last edited by DreamyMummy; 24-04-2015 at 18:11.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-04-2015),BettyV  (24-04-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2015),nh2489  (24-04-2015),SheWarrior  (24-04-2015),TeamCarts  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Was your bub breastfed until 2? Because if he wasn't he's still screwed (according to the research).
    I thought you were the rational one? What kind of inflammatory bait is this? So you are saying because the ideal situation is often unattainable we shouldn't even try?

And fwiw he was BF for as long as I was capable of (15 mo) because like everyone, I knew the benefits and did my best to give him a great start. He also watched TV. This thread had some posters who didn't seem clear on the reasons for the guidelines, so I elaborated with the research to help inform decisions. So chill out?