+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    I used to not make a big deal about screen time in under 2 year olds. But the recommendations are there for a reason, and after I dug a bit deeper I was alarmed. Here is a free access article reviewing the literature, and another that has an informative summary:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/1...8.01027.x/full

http://abs.sagepub.com/content/48/5/505.short

In short: TV for under 2 year olds has absolutely NO benefit for development, and it harms their language development, cognition, and attention. Background TV also has a negative influence. Content really matters: cartoons are worse than educational shows, and exposure to violent content increases aggression.

Obviously it's really hard because these days, Mums are expected to be super women and need 30 hours in the day to get everything done. TV is a great tool for mums... but it's not good for babies.

When it's DS1's screentime (he is turning six, he picks from the TV or the Wii or iPad, he gets 45 minutes on weekday afternoons, and 2 hours on weekends), I either remove DS2 (7 months) from the room, or give DS1 headphones and send him to another room. It's not as if DS2 can never ever ever look at a TV, but he isn't allowed to sit there and watch it. It might sound like I am Amish, but the research is really, really alarming!!
    Free maybe... Informative not.

One link says that kids learn less from TV programs than they do from equivalent live presentations (ie engagement with mum it dad teaching then the same thing). Well duh. The problem is - it doesn't take into account that parents can not engage with their kids teaching them things 24/7... It doesn't go into whether or not 30 minutes of Sesame Street is more or less beneficial than bub eating the cat biscuits or dog poo because mum is busy cooking dinner.

The other article says there's not enough evidence to say young bubs learn from TV and it may possibly be harmful. Not really a convincing read.

I think I will risk the 30 minutes of my bub watching Sesame Street or his baby einstein DVD... Worst case scenario it's slightly less productive than eating cat biscuits - I figure though bub will still end up with an equivalent amount of brain cells though considering he was breastfed and the research shows that's beneficial too 1-1 = 0.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (24-04-2015),Ashram  (27-04-2015),CazHazKidz  (26-04-2015),DailyDiversion  (24-04-2015),Giggle  (26-04-2015),heplusme  (24-04-2015),lilypily  (24-04-2015),nh2489  (24-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Our TV is on abc for kids ALL DAY. He will watch what he wants and walk away and play if he's not interested. We are a free for all in the family with screen time and they actually self regulate really well. They have outside time, play time and TV time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's a well adjusted 4 year old now and have no issues at all

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (24-04-2015),CazHazKidz  (26-04-2015),Chunkydunks  (24-04-2015),CompareTheMeerkat  (24-04-2015),DarcyJ  (24-04-2015),Gracie's Mum  (26-04-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2015),Mod-Zeddie  (24-04-2015),mushyxxx  (24-04-2015),nh2489  (24-04-2015),RaraMum  (30-04-2015),Sethysmum  (24-04-2015),SheWarrior  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If TV is causing behaviour you don't want, then I'd take it out of the situation. We have a similar problem with the iPad - our 3 year old loves the peppa pig drawing app and I downloaded it for him when he was sick one day. He was ok at first but then he'd crack the biggest tantrums he's ever had when we took the iPad away so he simply doesn't get it anymore. I understand that's hard with TV, but I'd be looking at doing something like that if it were me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you don't like the amount of time your kids watch TV- turn it off. It's not hard. You are the parent.

Personally I can't stand having the TV on in the background or during meals. When my kids were younger and no longer having a day sleep they used to watch TV as 'rest time'.
    If tantrums get thrown about TV going off, they get warned that that kind of behaviour only leads me to not want to turn the TV on at all. As such, my kids don't watch TV through the week at all now. Oh except for MKR.

As an aside- when I had my first bub and did lots of things I wouldn't do now, he used to watch afew hours of ABCkids. He actually learnt how to read from watching Sesame Street. He is an unusual child though so it's not necessarily going to happen for everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have an issue with how much kids watch TV. But in our house if you tantrum over the tv it automatically goes off, whether it's been on for 5 mins or 2 hrs. I don't tolerate tantrums about tv.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to goldencrumble For This Useful Post:

ICanDream  (24-04-2015),MaximumStarlight  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    Our TV is on abc for kids ALL DAY. He will watch what he wants and walk away and play if he's not interested. We are a free for all in the family with screen time and they actually self regulate really well. They have outside time, play time and TV time. It doesn't bother me in the slightest. He's a well adjusted 4 year old now and have no issues at all
    Yep this is us too. The only time i turn it off is if they are watching it instead of doing something they have been asked to do, like get ready for school or tidy up their toys.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My 2.5 yo learns so much from Sesame Street and play school! It's obviously not his only source of education and I spend plenty of time with him but at that 3pm mark when he's cranky but won't nap and I'm tired and want to nap its just so much easier than the alternative!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I love play school! But I hate it when dh just puts the tv on for background noise.

Like a pp said ds actually self regulates his tv watching. It could be because he is quite young though so most programs don't interest him. Mostly only ones with singing or where the actors or characters interact directly with the audience. I imagine this may change as he gets older so will probably have to limit tv time more.

I try to work on a philosophy of everything in moderation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    The recommendation for babies younger than 2yo is 0hr of screen time. Sorry

Between 2 and 5yo it's 1hr per day.

IMO 45min of uninterrupted screen time is way too much on a daily basis and I think your youngest is telling you this in her own way.
    I agree and I am actually quite alarmed the amount of people on this thread that don't seem fazed about the amount of time their kids are in front of the tv.

We have never allowed the boys too much tv time, same goes with ipads and the play station. Time is limited and they accept that. They do not need to have the tv on to be occupied. They play in their room, they play outside, ride their bikes, sit at the table drawing, colouring in or doing activities. The tv goes off for periods during the day and no tv during mealtimes.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think that's a lot of tv.

We have never allowed tv during mealtimes, as it encourages overeating (not watching what they are taking in so are still "hungry") and bad habits (taking an hour to eat a piece of toast!). Also, the tv is in the lounge and we only allow food in there on special occasions.

I would stop the tv during meals. And make it 15 minutes two/three times a day. I know it's essentially still 45minutes, but it's not 45mins continuously.
    Little eyes need tv breaks. It might also help with the constant asking for tv.
    She gets to watch tv 3 times a day... sound better than 1.

ETA: whenever we had something that would be a problem when it turned time to take it away (e.g. ipad for 30mins, whinging and tantrums after), we stopped allowing altogether. It's easier now that they are older, and it was hard at 2 and younger, but it had to be done- tv was leading to negative behaviour so we stopped using the tv.
    Last edited by DT75; 24-04-2015 at 12:38.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (24-04-2015),MaximumStarlight  (24-04-2015)