+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Swaddling-safe, effective?

I had ds1 in UK and never swaddled as I got the impression that it can be unsafe due to baby overheating and it's not great for hips. Also I was worried about getting into a habit that might be hard to break. However over here I seem to see people mentioning it quite a lot and have seen a few ready made swaddles in shops. Just wanted some thoughts and ideas as to whether it's safe, does it work and why and if so which brands would you recommend? Am currently 31 weeks pregnant so willing to try with ds2 if it might be useful.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I wrapped both girls in muslin swaddles till 8-9 mths. First 5 mths arms in then arms out. It was our sleep cue too.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (23-04-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Love to dream swaddle up- brilliant for my dd, wish it was around for my boys.

The hip issue is a non-issue so long as its worn for sleeps only. It must not be worn all the time as some people were doing. I'm sure you know that the tightness of the swaddles prohibits the baby from putting their legs in the normal "froggy" position.

Is it safe? As safe as a swaddle can be, and you should stop once baby can roll. The ltd swaddles can be bought in a transitional style- where the arms zip off. They can be expensive but look out for sales or people selling second hand on BSS pages.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Swaddling-safe, effective?

I've heard the concern about hips. We used the ergo baby swaddle system which swaddled the arms and chest firmly but puts the legs in a frog position in a looser bag. Dd loved it.

Eta - it was a 0.6 tog rating so no real overheating risk either.
    Last edited by BettyV; 23-04-2015 at 20:56.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (23-04-2015),NicT  (17-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    DS wouldn't sleep without being swaddled. Best thing was if I was out and knew he was getting tired, I just wrap him up and he'd drift off to sleep. I used my own wraps that I made. I found store bought ones too small so just cut a square of flannelette (I think that's usually 112cm square). DS was a May baby in Canberra so these, plus a bit more to keep him warm, were prefect. As it warmed up I cut old sheets in half and used them.

I had heard something about it being a problem for the hips. Some swaddlers are designed with baggy bottom halves and the wings to wrap around bub's arms.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was told by a hospital physio to be careful with the love to dream swaddles as they don't always let babies legs fall into the 'frog' position.
    She said if you go up to the next size up a bit earlier rather than later it makes it easier for them to get their legs into the correct position.
    There isn't the same problem with Muslin wraps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheMadHatter For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The nurses at my family clinic who run our mothers group recommend you use muslin wraps for swaddling that are about 1.2m by 1.2m. You swaddle to limit the chance of bub waking themselves up from the startle reflex which they loose around 3-4 months. It's now recommended you swaddle with arms up so that bub can get to their fingers and comfort themselves. if you think about it it's more comfortable to sleep if you can move your arms a little than having them pinned down your sides! I think this is why there are now more wing suits in the shops these days! Just keep in mind that if you use a wing suit or other special swaddle suit thing that you only put them in it when they are sleeping and that they aren't completely immobilised. My clinic said they had one mum come with a 7m.o. who's arms were stuck up around their head because they'd been put in a wing suit for too long (we're talking months here, most of the day) that was too tight.

So swaddle for sleep only and only with enough tension to stop the startle reflex!

Btw some bubs seem to stop needing to be swaddled from an earlier age than others!

Good luck!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to netispaghetti For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (24-04-2015),ScubaGal  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks all for the advice. Now I need to decide what swaddle to get- arms in, up, legs froggy etc etc!! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mushy View Post
    Don't swaddle the hips at all. It can cause issues later on and if there are issues at the start can mean hip dysplasia getting worse and needing a brace. My daughter had hip displacia (sorry bad spelling) and the orthopedic surgeon told me not to swaddle hips ever as it is bad for them and we managed to avoid having to wear a brace following that advice . Swaddling essentially came about when the recommendation to sleep them on their backs instead of their bellies. Also watch carriers etc as they can be bad too. Good luck
    You're absolutely right. We swaddled my DD in a LTD from day 1 and she ended up with hip dysplasia. Not saying she wouldn't have had it regardless as there were other factors involved, but our ortho said it definitely made it worse and he absolutely hates the bags. I saw a LTD swaddle the other day and they have definitely updated the shape to allow for more hip movement but still not enough IMO. 12 months in a brace and still the possibility of surgery - you couldn't pay me to use one of those bags now. When I had my second child, I swaddled him with the Lil Fraser wraps. Tight across his arms, loose around his legs to allow him to sleep frog legged, then into a Gro Bag. Ergobaby make hip friendly swaddles, I haven't tried them but they are meant to be great.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessbaby For This Useful Post:

mushyxxx  (24-04-2015),nh2489  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys that exactly the kind of advice I was looking for as when you look at product reviews everybody loves them and you don't get any info on any negatives. I was worried about the hips, I know certain carriers are bad and my husband jokes that I'm on a personal crusade to ban non ergonomic baby carriers!! So if I'm worried about something that is used for few minutes to hours a day I should be bit concerned about something that holds baby on that position for 10-12 hours. I think I'll def look into ones which along more hip movement like the ergobaby one.