+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Enough View Post
    @harvs I don't have two hours to read through the page you referenced, any chance of a summary?
    Yes. There is a good chance of a summary. You know me so it won't be that concise but I'll try for fewer than two hours :-)

But in a nutshell - the page was started in March and is being used as a place to gather as much evidence as possible to bring her down and any articles etc in the media are linked there too as if it's a giant archive. The mods say they are united by having watched love ones die slow and painful cancer deaths, and their disgust that she would pretend. So basically it's been their mission to prove that she was pretending.

They have found her presence in old forums when she was younger, such as a skater forum, that shows her lying about being in hospital after heart surgery, THREE times, and then do things like cross-reference her posts with photos of her from her private Instagram and blog on the day in question (gathered using exif data that shows the date/time of a photo being taken) proving that she wasn't in hospital etc.

They have uploaded photos of her eating pizza, drinking alcohol (during times when she was allegedly healing herself), being in places nowhere near where she claimed to be at the time, all from her blog. Belle initially engaged with them, and they are sure she is reading this page because any attention is good attention. But within hours of them beginning to upload this she pulled down/disabled her sites, although they have everything archived any way.

But the three interesting parts (to me)

- there is a screenshot of Claire Bowditch's facey page which appears to out Belle (it's a bit of a long bow I admit but rather convincing)

- there are some posts in the skater forum that seem to suggest she manufactured the heart thing then the cancer thing after a boyfriend tried to break up with her, to manipulate him into staying with her and this is where it began; and

- they are trying to prove that her partner had to have way more knowledge about everything than he is claiming to have had, and I am really interested in this aspect in particular.

I'm sure there is more to it that I've forgotten, but it seems to me that the entire page has been the catalyst for the media to break the story, they've been very focussed and diligent about saying it's not a site to threaten or abuse Belle, just to uncover the truth.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes you are right, I had heard a rumour they were changing it and it looks like it has been changed in the new DSM (number 5).

Quote Originally Posted by OneBabyBoy View Post
    Just a quick note:
    I assure you that personality disorders are a mental illness. I know for a fact that my psychiatrist, psychotherapist and psychologist all consider it a mental illness also. No issue, just letting you know.
    Last edited by beebs; 23-04-2015 at 23:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ive been thinking about this a lot today, & why i feel sorry for her. I dont feel sorry for her in that she is the innocent victim she has tried to make herself out to be. I pity her, and i pity her for her stupidity. She has completely ruined her entire life. This wont go away, it will follow her forever, until the day she dies. She will be unemployable. No one would ever trust her again. I find it really hard to believe that money was her motivation. A mentally healthy person wouldnt risk losing everything in their lives for a bit of money. A mentally healthy person would see the consequences. I pity her for the incredibly stupid mess she had made of her life - but i dont think she is a victim.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Just some thoughts ...

The hallmarks of mental illness can include very erratic behaviour, difficulty with daily living and personal care such as poor hygiene or inappropriate clothes, lack of or oversleeping, inability to form or maintain relationships, social isolation, destructive behaviour, alcohol and substance use, fear and paranoia...

The list goes on. None of those tend to be compatible (when totally untreated) with the kind of work it takes to build a successful app, negotiate a deal with Apple and do media appearances.

I don't believe for a second that mental illness is the root cause here and it's frustrating that whenever someone does something really bad we look to mental illness to explain it. All this does is tarnish genuinely ill people with actions they aren't that connected to.

It's so common that we hear a story of someone being bad and we assume they have to be mad to have acted that way, when in fact all humans possess the capability of both good and bad actions. But we can't fathom the bad so we assume there must be a chemical or neurological cause.

The whole reason we have a criminal justice system is because people do bad things. If all bad things were the result of mental illness then technically all criminals would be not guilty by reason of insanity or mental incompetence.

I think it's probably likely that her original actions weren't intended to result in worldwide fame and deception but she had plenty of chances to slow down or stop along the way. She didn't.

Think about the big American bank executives in the sub prime loans fiasco that led to the GFC. They were similarly defrauding people on a massive scale with serious consequences. They were self interested criminals, as is Belle Gibson.

Just because she's female and younger and blonde doesn't mean she's any less capable or culpable.

Not mad. Not sad. Just bad.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (24-04-2015),Best Things  (24-04-2015),BH-KatiesMum  (24-04-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2015),VicPark  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    ...A mentally healthy person wouldnt risk losing everything in their lives for a bit of money. A mentally healthy person would see the consequences.
    Yes, mentally healthy people would risk everything to make a lot of cash. Think fraud, embezzlement, armed robbery, con artists...

They see the consequences and do it anyway.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ScubaGal For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaGal View Post
    Yes, mentally healthy people would risk everything to make a lot of cash. Think fraud, embezzlement, armed robbery, con artists...

They see the consequences and do it anyway.
    se i would see a big difference in the risk of being caught. Surely a logically thinking person would figure out that eventually the truth about her being sick would come out eventually. l

Thanks
    Reviews
    Belle Gibson is definitely in the running for Most Terrible Human Being of the Year 2015, in my eyes.

I feel sorry for her family, especially her son. I hope she can stop navel gazing long enough to realise she owes a FULL, UNCONDITIONAL apology and I hope she gets the help she needs but most of all I hope she just goes away from public spotlight and we never hear of her again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think Belle is a despicable human being. I think she is a money grabbing, calculating fraudster.

I hope she gets everything coming to her. I hope Karma bites her on the **** big time.

I don't believe her partner knows nothing. He was sitting pretty. I believe he knew she was fine. He was hardly going to rock his money boat.

I was diagnosed with breast cancer on 21st February 2014. I have and am living the cancer life. My family has been pushed to its limits and back. My marriage almost didn't survive. I had 4 surgeries last year, (with many more to come) as well as chemo and radiotherapy. I had my boob removed and all my lymph nodes from my armpit. I now have one side of my chest flat because I can't afford the $20,000 I have been quoted for reconstruction. I cant lift anything heavier than 1kg with my left arm or I will get lymphodema (swelling of the arm and hand which I will have for life). I have had to have my ovaries and tubes removed because my cancer feeds of estrogen. I look at my scars every day. I only sleep about 4-5 hours a night because the medication I'm on for the next 10 years (which will try to stop the cancer coming back) gives me insomnia. I now have joint pain in my fingers, back and jaw. Chemo has screwed my memory. I am left wondering every day if and when cancer will come back and in what body part. I am left wondering daily whether I will see my daughter grow up, get her drivers license, her first boyfriend, get a good job, go overseas, get married, have children. I want to be around to see my daughter as an adult.

For this woman to be making money from people like me, I find horrendous. I have no pity or empathy for her. She deserves everything she gets.

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Life is Good For This Useful Post:

BH-KatiesMum  (24-04-2015),Busy-Bee  (24-04-2015),heplusme  (24-04-2015),Mama Mirabelle  (24-04-2015),Mod-RaryGirl  (24-04-2015),RaraMum  (24-04-2015),ScubaGal  (24-04-2015),Sunnybambino  (24-04-2015),Wise Enough  (24-04-2015),yadot  (24-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    @Life is Good thank you so much for sharing your harrowing experience on this thread. It gives me a great deal of insight in to the extent of insult and pain this charlatan has caused.

Do you mind me asking - did you know of her before this story broke, and if so had you already concluded that she was a fraud?

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I used to follow the wench on instagram. I bought the damn app.

Im appalled. I stopped following her about a year ago because it was just too damn suss. Her instagram looked nothing like you would imagine someone dealing with cancer would look like. It looked like a dream life; a sham.

Her husband is a big fat phucking liar. So he never ever went to a drs appt with her? A scan? Never asked to read her reports from tests? Not much of a partner than is he?

She's a disgusting psychopath.