+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh - I don't mean that she should get away with it or anything, at the very least she should be ordered to have a psych evaluation to see what is going on. And if there is a mental illness or personality disorder she should be required to get treatment for it. Such a horrible thing to do.

But it isn't that far removed from what hardline anti vaxxers do every day. Giving out extremely dangerous health advice, based on nothing. It aggravates me, I think they should be dragged over the coals too. But clearly this isn't the type of things that people get charge for - for some reason!

Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    @beebs that's exactly right. I can completely understand how you would seek comfort in feeling you had done everything you could, how you could gain hope from witnessing others triumph over this disease, how on some days hope is all you have and how you would be willing just to try anything. And I think many of us have heard anecdotal stories of people that made simple changes in their life and went into remission (I've heard at least three), so her philosophy wasn't actually all that woo woo. I mean, eating healthy food is common sense in a way.

I can sort of on a very distant level understand someone pretending to have cancer, but claiming to be able to cure it just seems a whole other level of cruel.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),heplusme  (23-04-2015)

Witwicky is offline A closed mouth gathers no foot.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Her behaviour just screams Personality Disorder (I.e.: antisocial PD), especially the apparent limited empathy following all of this and her 'woe is me' post on Twitter today, playing the poor victim. Bleugh. She needs help.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Witwicky For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-04-2015),harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    But it isn't that far removed from what hardline anti vaxxers do every day.
    This is exactly what i thought when i heard about this!

She may have mental issues, or she may just be a selfish b**ch who thought she would cash in on clean eating from a new angle. Either way lying about having an illness is deplorable and good luck ever getting another job, love! I guess people like this are tried in the court of public opinion.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

beebs  (23-04-2015),harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Lying about having terminal cancer is just awful, however convincing others that eating 'healthy' has cured it is even worse. I just hope that no one has ignored medical advice & died because of it.

Surely her close family would of known she didn't have cancer or did she also have them convinced? Surely a partner would want to go to appointments/be supportive of treatment? If they knew, I think they're just as bad & should be held just as accountable.

What about the money that was promised to charities but they never received? Did they pocket it all? If that's all been reported accurately I hope she is held responsible for it & made to pay the money that was meant to be for charity.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rocky27 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on Belle Gibson's deception

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky27 View Post
    Lying about having terminal cancer is just awful, however convincing others that eating 'healthy' has cured it is even worse. I just hope that no one has ignored medical advice & died because of it.

Surely her close family would of known she didn't have cancer or did she also have them convinced? Surely a partner would want to go to appointments/be supportive of treatment? If they knew, I think they're just as bad & should be held just as accountable.

What about the money that was promised to charities but they never received? Did they pocket it all? If that's all been reported accurately I hope she is held responsible for it & made to pay the money that was meant to be for charity.
    Well since reading the Facebook page I referenced above, I now have significant doubts about her partner as well. I am very interested to see how this all pans out.
    Last edited by harvs; 23-04-2015 at 19:04.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    I am strongly of the opinion that people should be held accountable for their opinions and messages, especially when those messages promote 'alternative' medicines. They should be required to publish data of the outcomes of people who have followed their 'medical' advice.

This is a particular sore point for me as we are dealing with a similar situation in the family. A family member was diagnosed with a particular cancer nearly 20 years ago. They received the required medical treatment and consequently still alive today with excellent quality of life. The family member is monitored medically on a regular basis and recently when a level of something rose their new(ish) partner encouraged 'alternative' practices to tried and tested medicines.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    There is mental illness, and there are personality disorders, the two are very different and should be treated as such.
    Just a quick note:
    I assure you that personality disorders are a mental illness. I know for a fact that my psychiatrist, psychotherapist and psychologist all consider it a mental illness also. No issue, just letting you know.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to OneBabyBoy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on Belle Gibson's deception

Haven't read any replies. Yeah she's wrong and should face punishment... But the people that 'fell' for her shenanigans need to accept some responsibility - this is a perfect example of why people shouldn't take advice on health issues from common Tom, Di@k and Harry's. Take advice on a fad diet from a plain old mum and you're asking for trouble.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),Mod-Degrassi  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @harvs I don't have two hours to read through the page you referenced, any chance of a summary?

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I'm struggling to understand this whole thing, it's just so sad and shocking. The thing I really can't grasp is why did she have to pretend to have cancer, I mean there are heaps of 'wellness' bloggers out there with their 'whole foods' 'clean eating' philosophy. Obviously she can cook and her recipes have been well received, why not just be a regular food blogger with a focus on whole foods. I just can't believe people do things like this, it's like something out of a tragic soap opera but unfortunately real people have potentially died because of her.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),melimum  (24-04-2015),yadot  (23-04-2015)