+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Maybe I'm cynical but when i originally saw her "survival" story I didn't believe her. I thought then that she was a pathological liar and was waiting for this kind of story to break.

I don't feel sorry for her and don't buy the sob story for a moment. I feel sorry for the people that were so desperate for something to work that they fell into her web of lies

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (23-04-2015),harvs  (23-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    See on the one hand I do feel disgusted that there could be a mental illness 'card' being played here. And having reread the article the Munchausen's and 'factitious syndrome' (wtf?) seem to be just speculation rather than a claim she herself is making. She's certainly doing her best to confuse everyone around her, and there are people trying to diagnose her.

But on the other...even if there is no specific mental illness, surely someone who is mentally well wouldn't do this? Can people truly be that despicable? Isn't being that depraved and detached from anything resembling humanity a sign of someone who is unwell too?

It's like the recent Lacey Spears case which is too distressing for me to link here. She at least has been imprisoned but, this desire for adulation and instant fame is doing weird things to society. It's like - if they can't *see* the people or don't know them IRL then it doesn't count or something?

It reminds me of kids that blow heaps of money on in-app purchases because they literally don't understand that it's real money.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

trustno1  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It makes me very angry that she has refused to accept any responsibility & like other have said is making out that she is the victim. It's an awful thing to be genuinely ill & desperate to try anything to be cured. She pretended to be someone like that herself but has no compassion for the people who really are in that situation who used her app/bought her book etc. I think she should be charged for fraud & if she tries to defend herself in terms of mental illness then at least she will be properly assessed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jude15 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),MissMuppet  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    See on the one hand I do feel disgusted that there could be a mental illness 'card' being played here. And having reread the article the Munchausen's and 'factitious syndrome' (wtf?) seem to be just speculation rather than a claim she herself is making. She's certainly doing her best to confuse everyone around her, and there are people trying to diagnose her.

But on the other...even if there is no specific mental illness, surely someone who is mentally well wouldn't do this? Can people truly be that despicable? Isn't being that depraved and detached from anything resembling humanity a sign of someone who is unwell too?

It's like the recent Lacey Spears case which is too distressing for me to link here. She at least has been imprisoned but, this desire for adulation and instant fame is doing weird things to society. It's like - if they can't *see* the people or don't know them IRL then it doesn't count or something?

It reminds me of kids that blow heaps of money on in-app purchases because they literally don't understand that it's real money.
    You have to remember that she was 17 when she first made the cancer call. It's not *that* unusual for a 17 year old to be deceptive.
    Then people believed her; she was getting attention and making friendships that it seems she never had, so she would have felt good about herself... the lies continued and then some of her friends encouraged her to make something of her recipes and TWP got really big, really fast. She probably felt like she couldn't get out of it. I mean, you would be pretty scared to admit your lies to a huge audience, right?
    I honestly don't believe she meant for this to get as big as it did.

I hope that makes sense, I'm so tired today 😕

8. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    She should be forced to pay all the money back.
    This ^ or donate the money to a cancer charity/research.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You have hit the nail on the head there Harvs. People don't think twice about those on the other side of the screen. They aren't real people, they are just facespace friends. It's like it's the Sims, they can make up stories and play them out. And if it goes pear shaped, delete that account and start all over again.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trustno1 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on Belle Gibson's deception

Yeah @atomicmama I totally understand what you mean, and I've thought about that to. It would be terrifying to get in that deep and that fast. I've never got myself involved in anything like this, but I do remember being a teenager and telling lies and learning how they can entwine you, and I can't even imagine that on a grander scale.

But she's not 17 now - I would have a lot more respect for her (ok, less disrespect) if she would just fess up. Come clean. Explain that - I was 17, it just happened so quickly, I didn't know what to do. Even saying 'I don't know why I did it at the time' is better than this other stuff.

Instead she is skirting around it and mildly berating people for not treating *her* with respect.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @harvs check your inbox

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah @atomicmama I totally understand what you mean, and I've thought about that to. It would be terrifying to get in that deep and that fast. I've never got myself involved in anything like this, but I do remember being a teenager and telling lies and learning how they can entwine you, and I can't even imagine that on a grander scale.

But she's not 17 now - I would have a lot more respect for her (ok, less disrespect) if she would just fess up. Come clean. Explain that - I was 17, it just happened so quickly, I didn't know what to do. Even saying 'I don't know why I did it at the time' is better than this other stuff.

Instead she is skirting around it and mildly berating people for not treating *her* with respect.
    But she would have lost everything she finally had. She was working with Apple, getting books published, was able to provide a good life for her son and no one questioned it for a long time. She would have felt safe.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to atomicmama For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    You know I just realised I'm doing the same thing - talking about someone who I only know from the Internet and forgetting that she's human and a mother and a young woman.

I'm just so fascinated by this sort of thing, which seems to be happening more and more frequently.