+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Thoughts on Belle Gibson's deception

http://mobile.news.com.au/lifestyle/...-1227316424925

For non-clickers, this article is about Belle Gibson, founder of the Wellness App called The Whole Pantry, and her admission that she was never ever suffering from brain cancer. A major purpose of her app was to eschew traditional cancer treatment in favour of her 'wellness' recommendations.

I read this article yesterday and was incredulous. I felt angry that she isn't being charged by Vic Police for misappropriation of hundreds of thousands of dollars in funds earned from the app that she had pledged to charities.

I felt angry for the countless sufferers who may have rejected medical advice in favour of emulating the 'miraculous' life Belle was able to live, and the impact on their wellbeing. Who knows how many deaths she is going to be responsible for?

Today I have reread this article. I know it is claimed she is suffering from Munchausen's, but after reading this quotation:

“I am still jumping between what I think I know and what is reality. I have lived it and I’m not really there yet,” she told the magazine.

“I think my life has just got so many complexities around it and within it, that it’s just easier to assume [I’m lying].

“If I don’t have an answer, then I will sort of theorise it myself and come up with one. I think that’s an easy thing to often revert to if you don’t know what the answer is.”

So, now I'm undecided as to whether she is a sociopath who has become seriously adept at lying and is now trying to position herself as a victim, or whether she is seriously mentally ill.

If she is so ill maybe she *should* escape charges? I don't know. I can't bear the thought of their being nothing substantial of consequence though, apart from I guess the large scale humiliation and damage to her close relationships.

I don't understand pretending to have cancer. I think it is a despicable and sickening betrayal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    She should be charged with some sort man slaughter. She knew her actions would directly cause people to die. I tend to believe that was her motivation.

It makes me so angry.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/9/2014100 Posts in a week
    I think it's disgraceful. Her comments in the article confused me. To me they seemed very calculated. I'm wondering whether she is using the mental illness angle to get out of being charged.

It makes me sick to think of how many people followed her advice and rejected medical help. How many people are still battling cancer and wishing they had never heard of this woman?? My heart goes out to them.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to summastarlet For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),Wise Enough  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think she is very ill. Not the cancer illness she pretended to have,but she is very mentally unwell. I feel sorry for her. And if someone with cancer chooses to ignore medical advice and instead follow the advice of an unqualified, un trained blogger on the internet... i dont know, i think maybe that's on them. Its a big lesson in not believing everything you read. Horrible that the price some people will pay is their lives. Hopefully some good will come from it & the recent death of the wellness warrior - in that people will listen to their dr's instead of pseudoscience. Again, devastating that some people will lose their life over this. I did find it hard to read her comments - she seemed to take no responsibility for what she has done, she had a lot of excuses and not a lot of apology for the consequences of her actions. Again I think she is very mentally unwell.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),Trusty Chords  (24-04-2015),Wise Enough  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's absolutely disgusting but she is obviously mentally unstable. No one who is mentally healthy pretends they have cancer. I also don't believe it's munchausens or anything like it- I think she's a pathological liar and it's caught up to her.

There's no way on earth she'd be charged with manslaughter though, people have autonomy over their own bodies after all.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colbie For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (23-04-2015),harvs  (23-04-2015),RaraMum  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    She deserves to be charged. Possibly with fraud? I havent read the womand weekly article yet but from that article it sounds likr she knew what she was doing. She even said that if she doesnt know thr answer to something she maked it up. This is peoples lives! Your not estimating a recipie. You cant just make **** up!
    I think shes using a mental illness as an excuse. I dont know if she has it or not but she knew full well it would/could/has led to the deaths of people that trusted and believed her. Makes me sick. She doesnt seem to have any remorse for what she has done.
    Last edited by RaraMum; 23-04-2015 at 09:24.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to RaraMum For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think I read she had some sort of cancer but recovered? Then used it to start this off and then lied. I'm not sure.

But she's done fraud why can't she be charged with that!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to monnie24 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think she's a con artist who is currently trying to set up another way to make loads of money off of people in the form of a book deal that details her horribly tragic childhood/living with mental illness/a giant tell all.
    I don't think she's mentally unwell, I don't feel sorry for her, she is a disgusting human being.
    She wont have to pay back or donate the hundreds of thousands of dollars she conned out of people, she wont have to apologise if people feel sorry for her (in fact, she wont apologise anyway). It wasn't HER fault what she did.
    I think she ought to be charged for fraud, meet some of the people she conned out of their money, look them straight in the face and give them her "excuses".
    I'll be sitting on the sidelines and tallying the slaps.

Ahem... So not great thoughts then.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jennaisme For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015),sarahjane914  (23-04-2015),ScubaGal  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts

Default Thoughts on Belle Gibson's deception

I've been following along with this story really intrigued (and very disgusted) by it.

I would be inclined to think she was a pathological liar or had a serious mental illness if "misplaced" charity funding wasn't involved.

I believe that was her drive to begin with, she made a successful business from her cancer claims.

When people started to raise there suspicions she wasn't telling the truth about her diagnoses, she wasn't very creative with her responses from what I've read, she states she may have been misdiagnosed, to me that says she knew it was starting to unravel. Call me cynical but I think she was a con artist.

Edit- snap @Jennaisme

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DreamyMummy For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just saw a psychologist on today who thinks she probably has some kind of social personality disorder. Who knows though, you'd need a pretty thorough assessment to know what's really going on. I don't feel sorry for her. She lied to and manipulated people, and kept money promised to charity for herself. She accepted awards and is still trying to tell people her deception isn't her fault. I would hope she is charged with fraud and any money owing is recovered. Disgusting behaviour. But I agree that it is a very good lesson for anybody following any of these "wellness" blogs - listen to your drs and health professionals before random internet bloggers.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

harvs  (23-04-2015)