+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tips on moving house please

We are due to move house in the next 60 days as we have just sold. This is our first time moving since having children (4 yrs and 8m). Not really sure on where to start with packing etc with 2 small children. We have so much stuff (rubbish) to get rid of, do I get a skip for a week? The property we are moving to is already empty and we own it so I can start moving whenever I just really don't know what to tackle first and im feeling very overwhelmed.

I welcome all advice!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Start with things you won't "need". Books are easy to start with - just remember to use smaller boxes as they get heavy quickly. If you have good China etc, pack that first as well because you likely won't need it before you move. Tupperware etc is also something that's easy to pack and won't take too long. Grab a couple of plastic storage tubs and pack your linen in it. Will be easy to find then when you actually move. Make the beds as soon as you can after you move because I can guarantee you won't feel like it at the end of the day! You can also pack your kids clothes in the storage tubs too (or even suitcases). It's also a perfect time to go through all your cupboards/wardrobes and work out what you can donate to vinnies/lifeline etc so a couple of garbage bags for those clothes too is good as it makes it obvious which clothes are for donation. If you're thinking of hiring a skip, i would save it for when you're almost about to move out so you can make the most of it. It may also be cheaper to hire a trailer and take all your rubbish to the dump. Good luck! Moving sucks!

Oh, when labeling your boxes be specific about what's in it. Last time we moved MIL "helped" so we had about a dozen boxes labeled "random". Was not helpful!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

misskittyfantastico  (22-04-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    Subscribing because we're about to put our house on the market!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by M'LadyEm View Post
    Start with things you won't "need". Books are easy to start with - just remember to use smaller boxes as they get heavy quickly. If you have good China etc, pack that first as well because you likely won't need it before you move. Tupperware etc is also something that's easy to pack and won't take too long. Grab a couple of plastic storage tubs and pack your linen in it. Will be easy to find then when you actually move. Make the beds as soon as you can after you move because I can guarantee you won't feel like it at the end of the day! You can also pack your kids clothes in the storage tubs too (or even suitcases). It's also a perfect time to go through all your cupboards/wardrobes and work out what you can donate to vinnies/lifeline etc so a couple of garbage bags for those clothes too is good as it makes it obvious which clothes are for donation. If you're thinking of hiring a skip, i would save it for when you're almost about to move out so you can make the most of it. It may also be cheaper to hire a trailer and take all your rubbish to the dump. Good luck! Moving sucks!

Oh, when labeling your boxes be specific about what's in it. Last time we moved MIL "helped" so we had about a dozen boxes labeled "random". Was not helpful!
    Great tips thank you!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    I would definitely hire and skip and cull with no mercy!

Black garbage bags are great for packing clothes and linen and soft toys.

Start with one room and with non-essentials so lounge or dining room and pack the books, CDs and DVDs first.

Have a box with your toaster, kettle, tea, coffee, a few mugs, plates and utensils plus some cleaning supplies so that once you make the big move over to your new place you aren't hunting through boxes for essential items.

You could move the majority of your kids furniture and clothes and toys and just keep the beds/cot and some clothes and anything special to them until you move properly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We moved recently and I went a little ocd on the packing. It really did help though.

The first thing I did was get a great app that tracked out boxes. Ive moved half a dozen times now and this made it 1000 x easier.

The app tracked what was in the boxes, what room of the new house they were to go to and had pics of what was in the box.

We bought a big told of bubble wrap to wrap our valuables. So much easier than using newspaper. It was also less fiddly than newspaper.

A second hiring a skip, we threw so much stuff out. It was great. If you don't need to move stuff you may as well not pay to have it moved (or spend time and effort moving it yourself)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mellie29 For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have moved a lot in the last 8 years (about 5 times!) start with things you don't need every day, label boxes by room (eg. kitchen, then that box can go strait into the kitchen of new house in moving day) leading up to the move say a few days beforehand take out only what you need in cutlery plates cups etc. (a plate cup for each person etc.) pack rest away, have take away for a couple of nights before the move so you can clean up and pack the pantry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sairz For This Useful Post:

KillerHeels  (23-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Cull cull cull!

Then I pack and label boxes according to rooms/layout of the new house. If you use a removal company it is far easier for them this way.

It can be expensive but I would really recommend using a removal company for transport even if you want to do your own packing.

I always pack a box of first night essentials in case you can't bring yourself to do much unpacking in the first couple of days. This usually has:
    A few towels
    Nightwear
    A clean outfit or two
    Plates/cups/bowls for a meal
    Can opener
    Bottle opener ;-)
    Toiletries

and bring this myself in the car. Just in case something happens to the other boxes.

When I moved to the outback the track got flooded just after us and the truck couldn't come in for three days. I had nothing! I remember we were eating cheese on toast off of cardboard, so plates is always on my list now :-)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Tips on moving house please

Skips are good for garden waste, timber, metal, bricks etc - things that can be recycled. Anything that goes in a skip that can't be recycled will go into landfill. So please don't use the skip for everything you no longer need.

So I would start by seeing what items can be sold or given away on gumtree.

What kids or baby items (clothes, toys, baby baths etc) can be given to family and friends or sold on baby bargains or gumtree

Then any non-big ticket items I would either give to charity or have a garage sale (and also try and sell the items I mentioned above as well)

Then you have some other great advice here on what and how to pack and what to keep out to use once you have moved.

One other tip I have is instead of using boxes for soft items like towels, sheets, clothes, pillows etc is to either use vacuume sealed bags or those big black heavy plastic garbage bags (think the strong material like the ikea bags.) as the contents are soft and the bags have handles they're also easier to move.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 23-04-2015 at 09:37.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Go through every room and cull. If you haven't used it in a year, get rid of it. Give to salvos or bin. Sell on gumtree what u think may sell.

Pack what you don't use first.

Make beds ASAP! You will be so grateful to yourself you did!

Do a bit every day, that way you won't feel so overwhelmed.

As you pack a cupboard up, clean it. Then shut the doors and forget about it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post: