+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Cranky after naps

My 2yo DS has a 2-3 hour nap from 12ish to 2-3ish every day. He still sleeps for 11 hours overnight, and is definitely tired at around midday.

For the last couple of months though he wakes up SUPER cranky after his nap! He'll sometimes wake up crying, and always seems angry...

For example, I'll offer him a drink and he'll swat it away while angrily saying 'uh uh' (no), and if I leave it out for him he'll storm over to it and angrily push it over. If I offer him food or a toy its the same story. Hugs get a similar reaction.

Sometimes he snaps out of it after 30 mins, and sometimes he keeps being cranky for hours! He's the same at daycare apparently :/

Anyone have any ideas why he might be doing this?? I'm a bit stumped, and it's affecting our days as I feel like I can't go anywhere in the afternoons as he's just so cranky!

Help?

SuperGranny is offline Worlds best grandma! Winner 2012 - Most Helpful Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    as a bit of a joke, my mum would say 'have you woken up with a monkey on your back ? maybe the monkey needs more sleep. ?? sort of to get a smile, and then a laugh? so that the cranky mood doesn't get too much attention. I would find it hard to tolerate if it happened after every nap. I would have to send bub back to bed, if the bad behaviour was too much. marie.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperGranny For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    It sounds like he is getting too much sleep. Although that's coming from someone with a 3 year old who dropped all naps at 18 months and does not sleep through at all, except for a bi-annual sleep through lol

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DesperatelySeekingSleep View Post
    It sounds like he is getting too much sleep. Although that's coming from someone with a 3 year old who dropped all naps at 18 months and does not sleep through at all, except for a bi-annual sleep through lol
    I was thinking maybe he's sleeping too long...? :/ I know when I have a nap during the day that's any longer than 30mins I wake up feeling awful! Maybe I should try waking him after 1.5hrs tomorrow and see how he goes?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi my 27 month old dd is like this too. She has always been really cranky post nap since it dropped to the one long one day nap- I assume it's because they sleep really deeply and are really groggy and disorientated- I'm like this too when I have a too long nap!

Dd definetely needs her two hours sleep (and tbh I actually need it!!!). I cope by sitting her on my lap for awhile watching tv and after awhile giving her something sugary like a Lolly which helps bring her around.

I hate the arvos as she is such a different girl high maintenance and whiny but yes sugar or a walk helps make her happy again

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I agree that a shorter sleep is worth a try. Also does he wake himself or do you wake him? If you are waking him he could be cranky cos he is getting woken from a deep sleep. You could try waking him more gently by opening his bedroom door 5 min before wake up time and turning some music on. That will rouse him out of a deep sleep and when you come to properly wake him he hopefully will be happier. Good luck X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I agree that a shorter sleep is worth a try. Also does he wake himself or do you wake him? If you are waking him he could be cranky cos he is getting woken from a deep sleep. You could try waking him more gently by opening his bedroom door 5 min before wake up time and turning some music on. That will rouse him out of a deep sleep and when you come to properly wake him he hopefully will be happier. Good luck X
    I wait for him to wake up on his own and usually give him a few minutes to wake up before I go into his room, unless he's crying (then I go in straight away).

Might try a shorter nap with a gentle wake up tomorrow...

Thanks for the advice everyone!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    My 2 yr old sleeps for a similar length. I sometimes wake him if he's not up by 2:40 as we have to get DS1 from school. On non school days he can be cranky. He likes to just sit and cuddle and do nothing when he wakes up for a little bit. I wouldn't shorten his naps for it, just give him a bit of time after his naps to adjust.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FrothyFrog For This Useful Post:

Frankenmum  (23-04-2015)