+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It's painful to unload, reload the children sometimes but there are reasons why these mothers are being prosecuted. They put their children in danger by leaving them alone, even if it was just for a few minutes and even if it wasn't hot. So many things could happen in just a few minutes. They can try and justify it all they want but when it comes down to it, they are being negligent in their actions, even if the intention was good. I'd call the police.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Arresting the mother (or threatening to) is completely over the top. It seems illogical to react to the mother leaving the children alone by arresting her and taking her away... How is that going to help the children?

So I do not agree with the treatment of the mothers in this story.

But I'm firmly of the belief that kids should not be left alone in cars whilst parents shop. I can understand the temptation, but at the end of the day leaving children alone in cars is not safe.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015),Cardi  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Arresting the mother (or threatening to) is completely over the top. It seems illogical to react to the mother leaving the children alone by arresting her and taking her away... How is that going to help the children?

So I do not agree with the treatment of the mothers in this story.

But I'm firmly of the belief that kids should not be left alone in cars whilst parents shop. I can understand the temptation, but at the end of the day leaving children alone in cars is not safe.
    I agree a education program would be a better solution than arresting a parent for a first time offence.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015),Cardi  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with the article. I grew up as the oldest of 5 children. There's only 8 years between the youngest and me. I have a lot of childhood memories of all of us waiting in the car in a carpark. Fact is, it would have been more dangerous for my mother to get 5 kids under 8 years old through a carpark and then navigate a supermarket with us, than to leave us in the car.

I also caught two trains to school alone while in grade 4, before mobile phones were around.

I feel that society has simply decided to criminalise this particular behaviour, while ignoring behaviours that have a statistically increased risk (such as walking kids through a carpark or driving them around). It makes no sense that this one has been singled out.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sally1981 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015),CazHazKidz  (22-04-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally1981 View Post
    I agree with the article. I grew up as the oldest of 5 children. There's only 8 years between the youngest and me. I have a lot of childhood memories of all of us waiting in the car in a carpark. Fact is, it would have been more dangerous for my mother to get 5 kids under 8 years old through a carpark and then navigate a supermarket with us, than to leave us in the car.

I also caught two trains to school alone while in grade 4, before mobile phones were around.

I feel that society has simply decided to criminalise this particular behaviour, while ignoring behaviours that have a statistically increased risk (such as walking kids through a carpark or driving them around). It makes no sense that this one has been singled out.
    I agree with all of this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think arresting someone over this on a first offense is too much but I think there should be something done so these parents learn it is not the correct thing to do. A warning would have probably been sufficient in these cases. If you are out of loo paper and you don't want to get your child out of the car for whatever reason then use tissues. The excuses that the mothers in the article used were pretty poor. None of the items being purchased were absolute necessities that had to be purchased then and there. They all could have waited for another time. These mum's are obviously not neglectful parents and labeling them as such is wrong, but they could have made a better choice than they did. Yes I think I would call the police but I wouldn't want them arrested in these cases, just given a warning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    it is illegal, they were out of line of sight.
    a '5 minute trip' can quickly become 10,15 or 20 minutes and children can get distressed very quickly, these laws exist for a reason,

If a parent was making a '5 minute trip' home in their car and didnt strap their kid in because of the distance and got arrested would you feel so lenient?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

BabyG4  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    but to answer the question no I wouldnt call the police, I would wait and watch and if they were back in a few minutes then Id move on.

10 + seems pushing it though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    These mum's are obviously not neglectful parents and labeling them as such is wrong, but they could have made a better choice than they did.
    When we were young, we got left alone in a car, my sibling unkowingly released the handbrake and we crashed. Leaving children unattended in a car is 100% negligent, even though it is not the parents intention.

The consequences could be so severe which is why they are being prosecuted.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

ThenThereWereThree  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It's a hard one isn't it? Some people do just leave their kids in hot cars for ages while they do things. And on the other hand, I completely understand not wanting to get kids out of the car and get them to walk among cars to pay for petrol.

I don't think these women are criminals at all however, they may have made a bad judgement call. But everyone makes mistakes -everyone.

I wouldn't call the police in the first instance, I'd probably wait around and see if it was a quick thing, if the windows are up, if it was a hot day etc. I wouldn't assume based on a glimpse of their lives that the parents are evil, horrible child murderers though.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015),WiseOldOwl  (22-04-2015)