+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week

Default Would you call the police?

http://www.salon.com/2015/04/19/what...ds_in_the_car/

It's tough. My initial instinct is "the well-meaning strangers shouldn't have called the cops on them" but if I saw a child alone in a car, I'd probably do the same because you don't know how long it'll take for them to arrive and get the child out if it's a hot day.

That being said, the woman who was waiting to "make sure they arrest you", wow. She's got some serious bad karma coming her way in life, I don't think she could BE any more judgemental!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    1000 posts in a week500 Posts in a week
    750 Posts in a week400 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/2/15Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week
    I meant to also say, on the one where the daughter was sleeping and her eight year old was happy to watch her while playing on the iPad, I'd almost certainly make the same choice myself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I would call the police for any child under 10 left in car.

Kids die in cars. Wanting pair of headphones or being hungry is a **** poor excuse.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2015),LaDiDah  (22-04-2015),waterlily  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

The instances in these articles seem ridiculous. I would not act in the same manner as these strangers. Perhaps I would keep an eye on the babies from a distance until the adult came back but that would stem more from my worry that someone will take the child.
    They weren't hot days and they weren't babies.
    I personally wouldn't leave them though because I would worry about someone hurting my child. But at the same time I don't think you can really make that decision until you are actually put in that situation

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    It's a hard one. In these cases the children were clearly safe, it wasn't hot and the parent was gone but a few minutes. I don't believe they were in danger. But there has been so many deaths both here and in the US and people don't know how long these kids have been in the car. What if they had been there an hour? The car can heat up so fast. The person telling one woman she was a bad mother that she hoped would be charged is pretty OTT.

I also think it's difficult for the police to judge between cases. Can they prove the child was only there 5 mins? It was cool but what temp was it in the car? If they use their discretion then where does it end? Is drink driving ok if the person has gone through a break up or is having a bad day? Is there room for context?

Bottom line for me is I think it's OTT and I really feel for the mothers. I have very occasionally left my kids in the car to pay for petrol with a clear line of sight. But then I also have the liberty of having an involved husband who I can leave my kids with so I can go to the supermarket or the chemist. What does a single mum do? I also see where the cops are coming from though too. It's a tough one.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Yes I would call the police. Kids can get scared and even die when left alone in cars. Perhaps the parents only plan to be out for a few minutes and won't be unlucky enough to run into any roadblocks who knows - not my job to wait around and see.

I have concerns over the decision making abilities of the parents in the article. If you are really worried your 4 year old needs a day nap then drive home and have baked beans for dinner.

The article is probably skewed and a little embellished considering they most likely interviewed the mums and not the witnesses or police. Parents get defensive when they are called out for something - IMO the mums should have taken the advice on board and admitted they were wrong - not go to the media with a bleeding heart story.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (22-04-2015),LaDiDah  (22-04-2015),LoveLivesHere  (22-04-2015),MissMuppet  (22-04-2015),waterlily  (22-04-2015),Wise Enough  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Mixed emotions. But i will say this i wouldnt call the police. Id say something to the parents beforehand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I suppose I been around the block once or twice and have seen things that makes me undoubtedly know that I would call the police.

It not just heat.

I have seen, as I assume most people have parked cars been hit in car parks. People climbing into cars to riffle through the car for things to steal. People reach in through open windows. Kids wake up with a fright because mum isn't there etc..

Maybe my attitude towards sleep is different to most so I don't see how anyone would think it acceptable to leave a sleeping 4 or 5 year old and go out of sight. I have no problem waking a baby/child or moving a sleeping baby to pram or trolley.

I see going into a shop front that you are 3 or 4 metres from the car and you are in full sight ( petrol shop/bakery/atm ) very different to going into a shop that you can no longer see and hear the kids.i

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

Just*Ace  (22-04-2015),LaDiDah  (22-04-2015),MissMuppet  (22-04-2015),Wise Enough  (22-04-2015),zooey  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I leave my kids in the car sometimes. I leave the windows down a bit and they both know if it warms up to much to wind it down more, that been said I don't do it if it's even a lightly bit hot. I go to my local iga and if there looks to be a few to many cars I make them come in just incase there is a line. I'm always worried something will happen like in that link, but I think as a parent you are always taking risks into consideration with kids.
    My kids always want to stay in the car but I make the choice at the end of the day.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngelicHobgoblin For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (22-04-2015),Sally1981  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    when i read the article, the first thing i thought of was that the woman who stuck around came across as spiteful and she said what she did because she may have experienced being arrested due to same issue.im probably completely off track