+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    Like a page called Higgins Storm Chasing on FB. They had a heap of warnings and updates on it all. I tend to find they have more warnings published than BOM. They mainly focus on QLD weather but will update on the big things elsewhere in the country too.
    Thanks I will. Still think it's the state govt's responsibility to inform the public and they fell down on the job miserably.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by WiseOldOwl View Post
    Thanks I will. Still think it's the state govt's responsibility to inform the public and they fell down on the job miserably.
    It definitely is their responsibility. HSC was set up after the 2011 floods here in SEQ when they were seeing the signs of things unfolding as they did but weren't seeing the warnings that should have been issued. They really seem to know their stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Agree WiseOldOwl, the QLD premier is all over the news BEFORE disaster strikes. We got nothing until after it had hit! Sure they said the weather would be bad but did not warn of cyclonic conditions which obviously threaten life. Two more just died poor things. It's great there are storm chasing websites but I don't check those, when it's only once in 10 years this happens. I rely on the abc and our state govt.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skyler For This Useful Post:

WiseOldOwl  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We got several warnings on Tuesday but they weren't until later in the day when they were concerned about flooding - both of our mobiles and the landline several times. I'm not sure how the system works but when they use it it works well. I think many people were waiting on their bosses to make the call yesterday. Employers need to make the call earlier, otherwise there is that expectation that you are to endeavor to get to work.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 22-04-2015 at 21:40.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yeah I know Little Ted. The warnings should have come earlier! I felt nervous driving to work yesterday in what looked like an apocalyptic scene and I was feeling all nervous about maybe being late because of the trees all over the roads and road blocks. Stupid work did not decide to close for the day until mid morning. Even though the workplace was flooded by 7am. I could not have made it there even if they stayed open. I was due to start at 8am so left home at 7. By the time I got turned around at a road block and home again by 8.30, there were emergency warnings on the radio telling people to stay home. Next time I will just take it upon myself not to go in and use my own judgement rather than relying on the authorities. I won't care if work are miffed. Look at the poor people who are dying in this weather event. It's not worth it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess those warnings only go to the people in flood prone areas but it would be nice to be informed about whats happening and what's expected to happen. That only came in the evening news last night. I didn't see any regular updates before our power went out.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    It just stopped here... making a dash to the bus to do some shopping!
    It just started again
    What was that? A... 2 hour break? Ugh.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess those warnings only go to the people in flood prone areas but it would be nice to be informed about whats happening and what's expected to happen. That only came in the evening news last night. I didn't see any regular updates before our power went out.
    I think I saw it on one of the updates that the storm ended up being more severe than what they expected.

I live on a hill that if we flooded - 90% of of the city would have to be under water too so I think it goes out to more than just the homes in flood zones but I'm not sure how they assess and access which numbers it goes out to.

Edit: just read the information online to answer the question I had here.
    Last edited by Little Ted; 22-04-2015 at 19:34.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Skyler  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I think I saw it on one of the updates that the storm ended up being more severe than what they expected.

I live on a hill that if we flooded - 90% of of the city would have to be under water too so I think it goes out to more than just the homes in flood zones but I'm not sure how they assess and access which numbers it goes out to.

I have a question - one of my aunts had to leave her home. She has insurance, but can she access government funds to pay the excess due to it being declared a disaster area? I'm not sure how it all works - and neither does she. But in order to start getting her claim processed does she start going through insurance anyway then get reimbursed? OR is the government funds only for those without insurance? She just needs to know so that she can get organised and know what she's up for financially.
    Yeah, there is an emergency payment through CL that she may be able to claim.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (22-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is my local Coles

coles.jpg

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WiseOldOwl For This Useful Post:

AppleIsleSMum  (22-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (22-04-2015)