+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default camping with 14 month old? - do or dont?

Anyone any experience taking their 1 year old camping? good/bad experience? any tips, please let me know. I will also be 20 weeks pregnant when hubby was thinking about it. Our friends have a 3.5 and a 2.5 year old and they seem keen but a one year old might be a different story. We are in North Queensland so it will only be "cold"-er in the evenings in June and we do have warmer clothes. We love the outdoor lifestyle and we'd like the kids to enjoy the outdoors as much as they can, just not sure when to resume our 'normal' outdoor activities we had in the past ever since we had DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We've always camped, including one year with a toddler and 8 month old twins. It was very cold where we were (-7 at night!)- I don't think I would do it again when it is very cold with babies. BUT! Now my kids are so good camping, they are used to it, the love it - and I really believe it is because we just did it when they were really little. I would go for it, it may not be the most fantastic experience, but it will lead to fantastic times down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by someonesomewhere View Post
    Anyone any experience taking their 1 year old camping? good/bad experience? any tips, please let me know. I will also be 20 weeks pregnant when hubby was thinking about it. Our friends have a 3.5 and a 2.5 year old and they seem keen but a one year old might be a different story. We are in North Queensland so it will only be "cold"-er in the evenings in June and we do have warmer clothes. We love the outdoor lifestyle and we'd like the kids to enjoy the outdoors as much as they can, just not sure when to resume our 'normal' outdoor activities we had in the past ever since we had DS.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't, but I've been with friends and their baby. We found it a bit tricky when he was crawling; with the dirt, sticks, old campfires, the gigantic ants and an assortment of other bugs on the ground.
    So I taught him to walk instead lol. It was much easier for the rest of the week then!

So IMO if your bub is walking, I'd say go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yes he's definitely walking, lol hasnt stopped since his birthday haha. thats why i figure we can wear him out a bit with all the new experiences and the outdoor air. thanks for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    We've always camped, including one year with a toddler and 8 month old twins. It was very cold where we were (-7 at night!)- I don't think I would do it again when it is very cold with babies. BUT! Now my kids are so good camping, they are used to it, the love it - and I really believe it is because we just did it when they were really little. I would go for it, it may not be the most fantastic experience, but it will lead to fantastic times down the track.
    This is us, our kids have been camping since they were 2 months old and yes it can be an absolute pain when they are little, but if you do it a lot and want to continue, they will get better. We always say we are putting the hard yards in now for the benefits later!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

beebs  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have an enclosed shade house/gazebo that we use when they are crawling, keeps them contained lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Go for it.
    We've camped with our DD since she was a couple of months old.
    If it is cold, put a heavy rug or two under the cot. And pack plenty of warm clothes. We did have to be pretty vigilant at first to keep her away from the fire etc but now DD is a great camper at 3.5.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Go for it

We camped for two with a 2 month old. She co-slept with me, had all her normal routines and we made some great memories

Thanks
    Reviews
    Probably the most painful part about you camping will be trying to get comfortable sleeping with a 20 week bump!! Kids have different challenges at all ages when camping but start them early and it will be easier in the long run.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Absolutely do! I've been taking mine since they were in my tum Getting up to pee during the night was the most annoying part! Make sure you have a comfy bed off the ground. The rest is a piece of cake. My kids absolutely love it.