+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Transfer one or two?

Hello

We head to the US in less than two weeks for our donor cycle so the topic has come up with DH whether we put one back in one or two fertilised eggs. This is obviously if we are lucky enough to have this choice! DH is determined that we couldn't handle twins so one is enough and if are not successful then we go back for a FET (again if we are lucky enough to have frosties). I want to maximise my chances of bringing a baby home! Being 45 and having lost seven babies in three years through miscarriage I just want a happy ending. The agency says they have a 80% successful rate with putting back two, with a 25% chance of twins. I am interested to hear people's thoughts on these stats (it seems more than 25% have twins) and if willing to share, how they arrived at their decision and what the result was. I keep debating the options and am still not sure.

Thanks for your help and advice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you are using good quality donor eggs, I would stick to one. The chances of success only increase by a small percentage when you put two embryos back, something like 5 - 10%. But obviously the chance of twins increases dramatically. And it's not just a matter of whether you can cope with twins or not, there's also all the risks involved in a twin pregnancy. SO much can go wrong. And if one baby is healthy and the other isn't, you could end up losing them both.

Are you able to decide once you find out how the embryos are looking? Cause if it turns out they're not great, you might feel better about putting back two. I can certainly understand that, in my successful cycle that resulted in DS, we put two back. However we have a history of terrible embryos due to my eggs, so I was pretty confident that the chances of both making it were pretty slim, and fortunately I was right. But if I was using donor eggs and the embryo quality was good, I would've only transferred one, even if my FS offered two.

I will be facing a similar decision later this year when I go back to Brisbane for an FET (we live in England). I will probably transfer two again if my FS is on board, but one of them will be a very dodgy day 6 "borderline" blast that I have zero confidence in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We debated long and hard about this. We thought we had decided on 2 when we back for transfer but the embryologist managed to convince us out of it. As we were young and had good quality blasts he thought it was better idea for single transfer. I think as the previous post says the success rate didn't change that much, ie it was 69% success for 1 and 79% for 2 but with about 70% chance of twins. So we decided to go for one and it did work for us. I think one of the things that also swayed me was that for some reason there is an increased risk of the egg splitting so identical twins appears more common with Ivf babies and I could never have coped with triplets!

My thinking was that there are increased risks of multiple pregnancy and if things went wrong I might not forgive myself for going against the medical advice. If it hadn't worked first time though I'm sure I probably would have chosen 2 the second time.

It's such a hard decision, I hope you manage to come to one you're both happy with. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently found out I was pregnant, I had 2 embryos put back in, one didnt take and the other, I'm currently not sure it will survive? Up to you, but I'd rather have the chance of twins, than the chance of one embryo not sticking and having nothing. The expense of travelling back and forth for transfers, the heartache the anticipation is torture, I would never transfer one, ever.

I would have loved twins, double the love. It's only hard for a little while, once you get in a routine, its easy according to a few friends with twins.

Thanks
    Reviews
    As you can see from.my siggy... we have had a few transfers lol... all 2 transfered back...only one multiple pregnancy and it was triplets... but ended up as twin boys... all other pregnancys were singletons.
    So far the twins have been easy but they are in a routine from day 1 as they visited special care .
    Id do double transfer.
    good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The clinic where I went they routinely put two back, their sats are putting two back increases the pregnancy rate by 20% but only the twin rate by 10%. I would always do a double transfer, but the old saying comes to mind "never transfer more than your willing to carry/look after" I had a wonderful pregnancy and my girls were born at 38 wks and came home with me, it definitely hasn't been any where near as hard as what I thought it would be. Good luck in deciding what's right for you