+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree ^^^ I would just set them up so that they just need to be checked on a couple of times in the week. I would lock them both inside, but then I don't like the idea of a cat roaming outside 24 hours a day anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be asking someone to come twice a day.

Maybe every second day, check they're ok, check food and water. I'd offer $50.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CMF View Post
    I agree ^^^ I would just set them up so that they just need to be checked on a couple of times in the week. I would lock them both inside, but then I don't like the idea of a cat roaming outside 24 hours a day anyway.

I certainly wouldn't be asking someone to come twice a day.

Maybe every second day, check they're ok, check food and water. I'd offer $50.
    I think this is the best idea.

wow what a thread....geeze thought I would get 2 replies. how controversial cats can be

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm not going until feb so heaps of time to plan. Thanks for the replies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I pay someone to come and feed the cats and change the litter when we go away. I call her the 'cat lady' and she's awesome. $20 a day and she feeds them, brushes them, changes the litter, checks they're generally okay and then sends me a text when she's done to let me know all is okay (and sometimes includes a pic of the cats as well).

I've had friends look after them for a weekend, but wouldn't ask for longer than that, and now that I've found my 'cat lady' I have to say I prefer her to getting friends to help. No guilt, and because its a professional service the job is done thoroughly, and I have peace of mind.

One more thing - I lock both cats inside when we go away on holidays. I think its too much of an ask to expect a visitor to find an outside cat and bring them in, and my cats tend to hide from visitors. And I'm not comfortable leaving them outside at night, or for any extended period. They cope fine with that and I figure that having run of the house is a whole lot more room than they'd get in a cattery.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

*Chels*  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im not a cat person so please excuse my question but locking two cats inside for a week wouldn't they cause a bad smell?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post
    Im not a cat person so please excuse my question but locking two cats inside for a week wouldn't they cause a bad smell?

Our cats used to be purely indoor cats.

I think it would be best to keep the cats in and pay someone to feed, change litter and refresh water. I wouldn't trust my cat to come back in for a stranger and you don't want to be worrying about them being out all night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by KillerHeels View Post

it is a gross smell to return to when youve not been there and changed the litter, but Id rather a brief gross smell that takes 5 minutes to deal with than my cat be outside when Im not there to know if theyre safe or not than dead etc

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm I paid some friends who lived half an hour away $150 to house sit for 5 days. They were unemployed at the time so it wasn't an inconvenience
    and they were excited for the money. I made meals for them for while we were away. I came home to find rotten food in the kitchen, my alcohol stash gone and my neighbours said they only showed up every 2nd or 3rd day. Way too long to leave dogs and cats in the qld heat. I would now only trust my pets with family or in a boarding kennel and our friendship is strained. I'm just saying to tread lightly here. Make your expectations clear when you ask this friend. I thought I knew this couple well and they could be trusted. Obviously not. Just a thought! Enjoy your holiday