+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help a beginner gardener

Over the years I have killed many plants and flowers, I really don't have a clue what I'm doing.

My daughter would love to grow some herbs/veggies and it does sound like a great activity to do with her but I don't have any idea what to do.

I would like to get a small raised garden bed and perhaps start with a few basic herbs, and maybe tomatoes?

What do I need? Do they just grow in soil? Do I fertilise and what with? Can I grow all different types together? Please give me a real beginners guide.

Thank you!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depending on where you live, tomatoes might be going out of season. Mint grows well but probably best in its own pot as it can take over.
    Succulents are pretty hard to kill, they mostly just don't like water.
    Coriander grows pretty well over winter, as well as winter veggies. You are probably best buying tube stock from a nursery or hardware place as at least the hard propagating part is done. And faster results!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your replies.

What do I actually plant them in? Just soil or is there supposed to be compost or something aswell? Sorry, I'm so new at this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    An easy way to do a bit of a starter garden is to plant your herbs and veggies in large pots. I'd get seedlings from a nursery and fill your pots with potting mix and add some manure and some fertiliser (the nursery staff will help you out).
    Depending on where you live, parsley, coriander and sage will grow well and lettuces and cabbages ( and other winter veg like broccoli and cauliflower) should grow

5. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

2giraffes  (21-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great thanks! Looks like I will be heading to Bunnings this week.

Do you tend to get results fairly quick? I'm assuming veg would take a while?

I think seedlings are a good idea. DD is very excited about starting a garden but I can see her getting disappointed if she doesn't start seeing growth quickly.