+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help-Career advice !

Hi everyone, I need some career advice!

I'm 32 and have a lovely 2 yr old daughter and supportive husband.
    I Work full time, in a sales role which has flexible hours, good enough pay for someone with no formal qualifications, a fully maintained company car which gets updated every 2 years (including fuel card and personal travel) I go away for roughly 3 nights a month staying in lovely hotels with all meals and drinks included. Very cushy you might say.....

BUT

I hate my job!
    I hate selling! I hate sales! I hate other sales reps!
    I hate travelling away from my daughter.
    And I have a fear of public speaking which I often have to do at conferences.
    I feel so ungrateful, but I really am so deeply unhappy!

I've always wanted to go to uni and do nursing or midwifery but feel like it's getting too late and I'm too uneducated and will fail miserably. I didn't even do year 12. I'm scared if I throw this job away to do uni, what if it's not for me, what if I regret leaving the cushy haven I have been in for 10 years!

I would love some advice! Thanks for reading xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I say leave your job! Life is too short BUT..... I'm not sure nursing or mid are your only/best options. I am a nurse/midwife and although I love my job I don't really think I would recommend it to you. I assume you would study part time? You will send a lot of years studying and these careers are often not what people expect when you finish and work in the real world. There is ALOT of paperwork, politics and not as much real rewarding patient care as you might expect. It really is a difficult line of work.
    Have you considered becoming a carer in aged care? This can be very rewarding. If you want to work in the hospital environment you could become a nursing assistant. Or if it's mums and babies you are interested in you could be a doula or lactation consultant.
    Just a few other options to consider.....
    Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    I say leave your job! Life is too short BUT..... I'm not sure nursing or mid are your only/best options. I am a nurse/midwife and although I love my job I don't really think I would recommend it to you. I assume you would study part time? You will send a lot of years studying and these careers are often not what people expect when you finish and work in the real world. There is ALOT of paperwork, politics and not as much real rewarding patient care as you might expect. It really is a difficult line of work.
    Have you considered becoming a carer in aged care? This can be very rewarding. If you want to work in the hospital environment you could become a nursing assistant. Or if it's mums and babies you are interested in you could be a doula or lactation consultant.
    Just a few other options to consider.....
    Good luck xxx
    This. So this ^^^^
    Nursing and mid are really family unfriendly. You will spend heaps more time away from your Dd...shift work is really hard, and the job is very political (I can only speak for nursing -I'm not a midwife). It can be super rewarding and fascinating, but it can also be a bloody hard slog. I think RedCreamingSoda has given you some fantastic alternatives!
    It's really hard when you're unhappy in your career and if you really really want to do nursing/mid go for it, but be aware the reality of the job can be hard (also I've just come back from a really tough shift where we lost a very young patient, so I'm extra bitter and twisted today!)
    Best of luck...hugs

Thanks
    Reviews

Thankyou ladies! That is some great advice. I didn't imagine it to be a glamorous job. It must be hard work.
    Last edited by MummaJugs3; 19-04-2015 at 18:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the advice. I appreciate your honesty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hey @MummaJugs3, I'm in a very similar boat to you! I've been in my current job for 8 years, it pays well & has plenty of perks, but I HATE it! I also didn't complete year 12.

I've been dreaming of a career change, but don't want to spend 6 years studying part time around a job and family and get a huge HECS debt only to discover that I hate the new career!

So I called up Open Colleges and spoke to one of their consultants and they were so incredibly helpful! They went through a set of questions about what I wanted from a career and were able to give me some 'entry level' options.

So for example I could do a cert IV to get an entry level job in my chosen field, then use my on the job knowledge to obtain a higher level qualification via Recognition of Prior Learning, and work my way up that way. It works out to be quicker & cheaper than just going for a degree, and you already have your foot in the door with employers & contacts in the field.

Of course you may still get into the job and hate it, but at least you've only spent a year and a few thousand $$ (roughly), so it's not such a huge commitment.

Definitely worth giving somewhere like Open Colleges a call and seeing what they say!

Good luck!

ETA - and no, I don't work for Open, I was just really impressed with how helpful they were

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Frankenmum For This Useful Post:

MummaJugs3  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much!!

I will definitely have a look!

Can I ask what field you are looking at?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Im actually in a similar boat as you. I have a chef trade certificate but im so over cooking its not funny.
    I have two young kids and my youngest is starting full time school next year. I want a change!!!

Im actually looking into working in a funeral home as an assistant funeral director.

Its scarey to start a new career so late in life but i figure...WHY the HECK NOT!!!

Bottom line is, if its something that interests you and doesnt bring a financial burden...do it. You may well get into your new 'work' and decide its not for you but at least you gave it a go. Lifes to short for what ifs. You regret the things you dont do more than you regret the things you do do.

Im going to look into a bit of work experience type work to start with to see if its for me. Maybe that could be an option for you. Is there something like that for midwifery??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I can really relate to this. I'm on maternity leave after having bub #2 almost 9 months ago but due to return to work soon. I have been unhappy in my work for years but stuck it out while doing IVF and having babies as it pays well and I am established enough to demand some flexibility. After having my first baby I was feeling very lost career-wise and considered going back to Uni full time but it would have been too difficult at the time (financially). So I started doing 1 subject online through CSU in an area that interested me and I have really enjoyed it. One subject is quite manageable around work & kids and I feel like I'm chipping away at something. I've done 3 subjects and have 7 to go to finish the graduate diploma.

Maybe you could try doing one subject online and see how you go with university study?

I honestly don't know what I want to do with myself and I'm 34! I figure I've got at least another 30yrs of working years left in me so plenty of time to retrain and start something new.

Thanks
    Reviews

No specific advice or nursing or midwifery, but I say don't stop looking for your dream job, whatever it may be, and don't be afraid of uni. I've been around universities a lot as a student and on staff, and as a thirty-something you are still a spring chicken with plenty of time to retrain in a satisfying and rewarding career. Staying in a job you hate eats away at you.

Just make sure you go in with your eyes wide open as to the family-friendliness of your chosen field, but I'm sure you will do just fine. And you will be a great role model to your little ones if they see you working hard and studying to achieve your goal.

Good luck! Can't wait to read updates later as you describe your path to non-sales freedom!