+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fair enough.

If your DD doesn't take care of them then she has to give them up. Harsh maybe but I would expect an 11 year old to be fully capable to care for a guinea pig.
    At that age my siblings & I were expected to feed, water & clean up after our pets (& we had several being on farm).
    Might be time to follow through - if loss of privileges etc isn't working. Maybe sit her down & give one last warning - either she takes care of her pet or she must rehome it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    If we give the piggies away we are teaching her animals are expendable.
    It depends on how you frame it though. DD knows she will lose her favourite toy (or flavour of the month toy) if she doesn't do the right thing. Not because it's expendable, but almost the opposite - because of its value. Not just the value to her, I always say I'll send it off to kids who don't have toys who would love to have hers.

If you say that you are giving the pigs to a family who will love and care for them as they should be, the way SHE should be, that doesn't indicate a throw-away attitude. It emphasises just how important the pets are and the fact that they deserve more than just the bare minimum that she can be bothered to do.

It is harsh, but not overly so and it sounds like its time to show her you're not bluffing.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

beebs  (19-04-2015),delirium  (20-04-2015),Izzys Dragon  (20-04-2015),SuperGranny  (20-04-2015)