+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    FWIW books don't count to me :-) books that are special and thoughtfully chosen are always gratefully received just like a mixtape - it's like sharing a part of yourself with someone and I think that's pretty awesome. I do love that book idea.

But then I would have to set up a registry and let people know who was getting what book so no one doubles up, and then my email would be lampooned on Reddit and parenting websites :-p
    Ah - see, now this is the problem, isn't it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Books are an amazing gift for 1 year old to a 100 years old. They don't take up much room, they encourage imagination and help with language. What isn't to like?!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Books are an amazing gift for 1 year old to a 100 years old. They don't take up much room, they encourage imagination and help with language. What isn't to like?!
    There is nothing not to like about a well-chosen, pre-meditated quality book purchase for a birthday. I would rather no books or just one, quality book rather than many $2 crappy books. I know when I used to buy more books I used to go online and research a new release, something that kids are interested in. I like something with nice illustrations, a bit of humour and sometimes rhyme. Anything to do with underpants children find particularly funny.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read the other replies but why not ask people to donate to a charity instead of buying a prezzie?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fi Poledancer For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    I haven't read the other replies but why not ask people to donate to a charity instead of buying a prezzie?
    Some posters said they felt as though they felt they didn't have a choice with that option. I think the children's ward would be great. Maybe they could donate books to there.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Is there a polite/acceptable way to ask for no gifts?

Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    What about books? You could ask everyone to bring their favorite childhood book with a personalised inscription.

Maybe something likes

If you feel you must bring a gift, can you please let DS experience the joy of your favourite childhood book with a personal inscription for him to look back on in years to come.

Google should give you something better than what I wrote! Haha.
    Oh gosh, I have a confession. Two year ago, I knew nothing, nada, zip about babies or children. Now I have a problem with buying and gifting children's books. It's got to the point where I get excited when I hear of babies being born to acquaintances just because I can buy a lovely book, wrap it nicely and send it on. Both parents could be illiterate or belong to a cult where books are banned for all I know, but I can't help it! There has been a mini baby boom at DS daycare and DH work - which is fantastic. Birthdays send me into book buying frenzy! And I get teary reading/hearing the books I read to DS when he was a tiny baby. If someone told me I couldn't buy a book for a littlie's birthday, I'd be devastated!

Pregnancy and birth did something to my brain, but an addiction to kids books is probably a whole lot better than most other mental illnesses!
    Last edited by clbj; 20-04-2015 at 00:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    Some posters said they felt as though they felt they didn't have a choice with that option. I think the children's ward would be great. Maybe they could donate books to there.

Oh sorry, teach me to read the other responses before I reply :-) you could make it anonymous...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fi Poledancer View Post
    Oh sorry, teach me to read the other responses before I reply :-) you could make it anonymous...
    Yes, anonymous and a choice would probably be okay.

I don't always read every post either!

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Ah bh to the rescue - I think the hub has an answer to everything. 😉

Though now I'm more confused. Currently planning ds' party and I want to request no gifts. I like the wording of "gifts are not expected" but I have my doubts anyone would follow it.

How did you go @Little Ted? Did you end up saying no gifts for the 4th birthday?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My sister chooses a children's charity and requests a donation in lieu of a gift. Most oblige.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Yogis Mumma For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (19-11-2016)