+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by mumotanner View Post
    I know someone who's DD bday is near Xmas time and asked friends to purchase a gift and place it under the Kmart giving tree instead. Very sweet idea.
    This is lovely!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Yeah :-/ she meant well as I had pretty severe PND at the time plus going through the whole separation thing. But no, it didn't go down well. At all.

Sorry to derail, OP.

For the next one I thought about writing something like

Please only provide gifts that are non-toxic, BPA free, sustainable, biodegradable, gluten and sugar free, halal, kosher, vegan, paleo, containing no pesticides or artificial fibres, produced only in Australia by ethical companies who donate to reputable charities.

I figured that means the same :-)

If we wrote this people would know that we were joking as we're not demanding-type people.

We would only be inviting those close to us, so I could perhaps talk to people individually about not buying him anything. We've already gone through and donated perfectly good toys to charity just due to the fact that we don't have the space. We're giving away our baby things just to move them out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Could you maybe put something along the lines of 'please no gifts but feel free to bring a plate of food to share'?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    Could you maybe put something along the lines of 'please no gifts but feel free to bring a plate of food to share'?
    I'm thinking...

Not sure. On one hand it would give people 'something', but on the other hand, as the host I would hate asking people to bring stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Little Ted View Post
    I'm thinking...

Not sure. On one hand it would give people 'something', but on the other hand, as the host I would hate asking people to bring stuff.
    I'm guessing it's for a child's birthday? Could you maybe do a picnic theme/style (if outside), you could set up picnic blankets, picnic style games around and just have a long table where people can pop whatever they bring down. You could provide the main food and maybe ask them to bring a dessert to share? My friends/family tend to do this anyway, it's really lovely.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Happymum2 View Post
    I'm guessing it's for a child's birthday? Could you maybe do a picnic theme/style (if outside), you could set up picnic blankets, picnic style games around and just have a long table where people can pop whatever they bring down. You could provide the main food and maybe ask them to bring a dessert to share? My friends/family tend to do this anyway, it's really lovely.
    I'll definitely keep it in mind and see if I can work it in somehow. Maybe if someone insists on bringing something instead of a present I could give them the option of it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Happymum2  (19-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    If we wrote this people would know that we were joking as we're not demanding-type people.
    I'd hope my friends would know I was joking too!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    I'd hope my friends would know I was joking too!!
    I think it would be the great-grandparents who would be unsure though!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

harvs  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went and took ds to one of these parties once. They stated no presents . So I didn't bring one. Everyone else bought one. As I was leaving the auntie of the birthday child asked me what I had bought as they wanted to do thank you cards. I was. REALLY annoyed. I lied and said a Winnie the Pooh book as I didn't want everyone to think I was a cheapskate. The mum came up to me a couple of times after that saying she couldn't find it. Never again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

AngelicHobgoblin  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I'm thinking...

I was thinking similar myself. I have my DD's 1st birthday party in just under 7 weeks time, and I'd thought about asking people to bring a plate. I worried then though whether people might think it was rude to effectively be asking them as guests to cater for a party I was supposed to be hosting.