+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default For Employers -Flexible Start and Finish

This might seem abit odd, coming from someone in HR of all places, but I haven't applied for a job outside my organisation for a long time....

I'm moving to an area where my commute to work is going to be a nightmare. I'll also be trying to find work in this city CBD as well.

If you were an employer at an interview, what would be your opinion of an applicant asking for flexible start and finish at the interview? This would be to avoid peak hour traffic say 7-4. Obviously I wouldn't always expect to be waltzing out the door at 4 but you get my meaning.

Would this request turn you off an employer? Or is it better asked after the job is secured and one is established in it?

it wouldn't bother me as an employer but I'm also conscious that I'm in the public service and a pretty flexible person anyway.

What do you think?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have no issue with it whatsoever. But that might be because I'm a mum myself. I think many organisations these days look to provide flexible work options, and as long as you make it clear to them that flexibility is a 2 way street, I think most would be fine. Requesting your hours is exactly what i would request in an interview, so I say go for it.
    My only advice is perhaps target organisations who actively publicise their commitment to flexible working hours.
    Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Juzz For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Exactly! I wouldn't want to work in an organisation that expected 12 hour days. Looks like it's back into the public service for me haha

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    7-4 wouldn't work in my office , 4-6.30pm is our busiest time of the day, I have some of my staff start at 10am after school drop offs which is fine and I have 1 admin person work from 9-3pm which is fine as she doesn't see clients ( if the position involved not speaking with clients then I would have no problem as an employer what hours my staff did as long as the work was getting done !)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's perfectly reasonable to ask this in an interview. it shows you're considering all aspects of the job. there's no value in just grabbing a job then worrying about the commute after its too late. I'm sure the employer would appreciate your forward thinking too. once you've taken a job and realise you hate the commute, it's costly for the employer to then have to replace you etc. better that everyone is upfront. also, it gives your potential employer an opportunity to be upfront about the company's policies. if they're inflexible, well at least you know that upfront and can base your decision on whether to take the job or not knowing all the facts.

the daily commute is such a big part of the day and really shouldn't be overlooked. I spend 2-3 hours per day commuting to my work and it's starting to maker rethink staying at this job. in good traffic (school hols), it's half an hour to 45 mins each way. in bad traffic....OMG just shoot me. luckily my employer is super flexible in terms of everything else and the job is basically zero stress so easy money.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly007 For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It really depends on your industry. I have no problems with flexible work times, my only issue is making sure the work gets done. At interview it would depend. My workplace is dominated by females, many with kids, we are understanding about family commitments. Saying that, I've worked in 'boys clubs', where your expected to work the hours they want. I would be tempted to hold off telling them until you secure the position.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lolz83 For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default For Employers -Flexible Start and Finish

what kind of work is it naboo? I'd say most kinds of office work, unless you're the receptionist/front desk, should be flexible to a degree. I'm
    an office drone and so long as I get my set number of units done per day (I charge my time out in increments of 6 minutes...time sheets urghhhh!!) then really, what time I show up or leave doesn't matter. you're going to be there for the bulk of the working day anyway.

those working retail or in jobs where they need to clock on at a certain time (eg hospitality) due to the demands of the business, I don't see that much scope for flexible working hours.

you could also negotiate starting or finishing half an hour later by offering to take half an hour for lunch instead of an hour. my current job is only a half hour lunch break. at first it felt really short but I don't work around shops/CBD so there's not much to do on my break. I just eat, surf the net for 30 mins then get back to work. it's another option to have up your sleeve anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lolly007 For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm in HR so somewhat dominated by the hours other staff work but also not bound by say shop open and shut hours.

I have no intention of mentioning my kids in any interview unless specifically asked. My DH will be working from home and responsible for all drop offs and pick ups. Flexible hours is predominately to avoid traffic however that also means getting home at 5.30 instead of 7 so I can spend time with family.

I think I'm just going to be honest. Quite frankly I have no desire to sit in 3 hours of traffic every day so if the hours mean that I have to then it won't be a good fit either way. I have to remember that I am interviewing them as well. I'll wait until I broach workng from home one day a week until I'm fully established in the role though
    Last edited by Naboo; 18-04-2015 at 09:30.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naboo For This Useful Post:

BerryDelicious  (18-04-2015),HappyBovinexx  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you've put a lot of thought into this job & I think that says a lot about your commitment to the role.

I agree with others. If the job can be done during the hours then I can't see there would be an issue.

Maybe just stress you would accept the position regardless but is it possible to work 7-4 insted to avoid the peak hour traffic = better quality of life.

I've always worked in sales & marketing. Employees in a good mood = more productive then employees in a bad mood.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BerryDelicious For This Useful Post:

Naboo  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think offering to work varied shifts might be beneficial. Ie Mon- wed 7-4 and thurs-fri 10-7pm.

That way you always beat the traffic but also have some flexibility.

At my work we all get to work early or late shifts but we need to do at least one or two late shifts a week. As you have a partner home to handle daycare drop offs and pick ups you don't need to zoom back before daycare closes.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.