+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fertility "Diet"

Hi,

I am researching foods/diet that aids in improving fertility. I am looking for some advice...what to eat, what to avoid, recipes, great books you have read on the subject. I found a book regarding fertility diet that was actually published in oz but it looks like it doesn't come out until June. I want to focus on health, not necessarily weight loss however, if that happens too. Great!

Any super foods that you can recommend?

We are currently TTC however I am in the TWW at the moment and if I don't end up with BFP this month, we have an appointment with FS booked in....

Looking for anything that can prepare us in a positive way.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Allymumtobe is offline Winner 2012 - Most Optimistic Poster
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well a good multi is always a good start and a little exercise.

Side note: no sugar was good for me, but I don't wanna get too tmi but my lady bits were happier

shell'80 is offline <3<3TTC our first little cherub<3<3
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi ampri3,

I realise you aren't doing ivf but this is interesting.
    Dh and I have had numerous ivf cycles. First not changing diet at all, which ended up with us with no embryos.
    The next one we only changed diet slightly, ate more fresh foods etc. only got 6 embryos and I think only 2 were acceptable and lasted to day 5 (No good though)
    I think there was another cycle and we still only ended up with I think 2 embryos but they didn't take.
    Our last cycle we went completely organic for I think 6 months. (Expensive. Yes!) but it was definatley worth it!!! We ended up with 9 embryos and 5 lasted to day 5 the first transfer which was 2 embryos was no good. But the second one worked. Currently 38 weeks pregnant and bubs can come any day now.
    We still have 2 in the freezer.

So I'm a big advocate for organic!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to shell'80 For This Useful Post:

ampri3  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Mod-Allymumtobe, thank you for your response. I am taking elivit as well as iron, vitamin b12 and a pregnancy probiotic. Speaking of lady bits, the probiotic has done wonders for me. Sorry about TMI but I was getting thrush regularly and was told that if I was TTC that I shouldn't use canestan, especially the tablets. Since starting the probiotic. Nothing!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ampri3 For This Useful Post:

Allymumtobe  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @shell'80, thank you for your reply. I'm booked in to see a FS to start IVF if I don't get my BFP at the end of my current TWW. That time goes so slow doesn't it?! Congratulations on your baby - not long now. You must be so excited!! I want to overhaul my diet, cutting back on sugar, processed foods, increase water intake, cutting out caffeine etc. I think diet plays a huge factor in fertility but want to learn more about it. When you went organic with your fruit and veggies, did you alter other food intake, I mean, carbs, sugar etc?? I knew there was someone around that worked on aiding there fertility with diet 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep. We changed everything. No extra sugars. No sweets, caffeine. (All the delicious stuff) we both lost a lot of weight from it and both looked super healthy at the end of it.
    Our only treats we would let ourselves have was a carribean boost juice maybe once a week. (Looked forward to that every week) oh and watered down organic juice from Coles.
    Oh and by the end of the six months me being a chocoholic found some organic chocolate. But I ate it sparingly. A small block lasted 2 weeks.
    You tend to eat less when you are going organic because the cost is a big factor! And we didn't waste any food like we do now.

It helps when you are both on the same page regarding diet it helps get you through it!
    And It's definatley worth doing it, and it's really only for a short time.

If we were to do another ivf cycle again we know exactly what to do.

Good luck hun xoxo
    The waiting game does suck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to shell'80 For This Useful Post:

ampri3  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @shell'80. Such a big help. I think I am going to do something very similar to you. Did you still eat carbs? Meat? Did you see a naturopath or dietician to help you design a diet? Or did you FS help you? Did you order organic online or have a store near you. My local area doesn't really have a specialty shop like that. I have contacted a naturopath in QLD (I'm in Melbourne) that is supposed to be excellent and she does Skype consults. I am someone that needs to follow a plan. If I have a plan I can be strict. Did anyone's FS help with diet?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am in Melb 😜
    We went to the Queen Vic Market every weekend. They have an organic fruit/vege section. (Sux it was right behind the donut van)

Also check out the local farmers markets. They had a few organic growers there too. (Makes you feel like a hippy going to some of them) haha..

Check out Coles organic meat section we always tried to buy when it was on sale.

We ate carbs too, Coles had organic bread. Not so much pasta though.
    There was also organic vege chips at Coles if ya need a treat.

We didn't have any naturopath to help us. And the FS didn't know what we were doing either.
    I still took my pre vitamins and extra Vit d tablets and fish oil.

Umm... I think that's about it.

I really hope I've helped. It seems like a lot but you kinda work it out as you go. If you have any questions fire away.
    😜

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shell'80 For This Useful Post:

ampri3  (19-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a book called 'what to eat when you're expecting' (from the what to expect series). Got it really cheap from booktopia but not sure if they still have it. It's mostly about pregnancy but a small section on eating for fertility and there are heaps of healthy recipes

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Ess For This Useful Post:

ampri3  (20-04-2015)