+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Elevit and breastfeeding?

Hi. Just wondering if people continued taking Elevit while breastfeeding? The box says that it is to be taken "before pregnancy, during conception, throughout pregnancy and into breastfeeding" - but, you know, it would, wouldn't it?

I took Elevit before and during pregnancy, and initially kept taking it after DS was born to finish off the box I had - but then I bought another box... and now DS is 6 months old! I'm now coming to the end of the box again, and wondering whether to buy more to last me until I finish breastfeeding (unsure when that will be at the moment). I've heard about people having side effects from Elevit (nausea, constipation, etc), but I've tolerated it well thankfully.

Has anyone had any advice from their Dr about whether or not they should continue to take Elevit or something similar while breastfeeding? I plan to make an appointment with my Dr soon, and I'll ask then, but just wondering what other people have done.

It's probably all about whether you have a good diet generally to get all those vitamins and minerals - and to tell you the truth, sometimes my diet isn't great, and I'm not sure I'm getting everything I should.

What have other people done?

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I could barely remember my name when my babies were newborns, let alone remember to take a tablet every day! I kept it up as best I could after my first baby but stopped after a couple of months. I was pretty bad with my second baby, I got slack late in the pregnancy and didn't worry about it at all a few weeks after he was born.

The main thing with those supplements is the folate and iodine in the early days of pregnancy. As long as you are not deficient in anything I don't really see the point in spending the money, and even if you are deficient it would be cheaper to just get a specific supplement eg iron etc

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (19-04-2015),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elevit and breastfeeding?

I didn't take any supplements at all. My diet has always been varied and pretty healthy so I've never bothered. I was never told by my ob, mw or anyone to take supplements other than that pre conceiving stage for folate.
    @Cue is right. If you are deficient in something ie iron or calcium etc the wouldn't it be cheaper and more effective to just get that tablet?
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 17-04-2015 at 21:36.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    I'm still taking Blackmores pregnancy & breastfeeding gold and ds is almost 15 months. Probably won't get another bottle after this one but I have found it beneficial to take, ds is a real mummy's milk monster and I know at about 4-5 months pp I got quite rundown, so I've been keen to continue taking them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks everyone. Bump for anyone else's experience?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I continued taking my blackmores pregnancy and breast feeding about 5 or 6 months after ds was born. Having a newborn, I often didn't eat properly or enough so I continued to at least support my body in that way. The MW explained to me after I had DS that pregnancy would have depleted my body of stores of vitamins and minerals and building them back up is important. She didn't specify taking supplements but I assumed that this would help the process.