+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Best Things View Post
    Is brother in law a little older?

Me and DP didn't have to do this because we were born AFTER a certain year. Might be the case for you too.
    From memory, it is to do with when the parent was born, not you. This is because before a certain year, being born in Australia did not grant you citizenship/the right to an Australian passport.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just did my DD passport the other day and for anyone born after 20 August 1986 you also need to provide a parents birth certificate / aus passport. I think it is to do with aus citizenship not being automatic anymore which makes me wonder what happens to those born here to foreign parents who don't yet have aus citizenship...how are they supposed to get a passport? Honestly I would have thought being born in Australia meant that you were an Australian citizen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by netispaghetti View Post
    Just did my DD passport the other day and for anyone born after 20 August 1986 you also need to provide a parents birth certificate / aus passport. I think it is to do with aus citizenship not being automatic anymore which makes me wonder what happens to those born here to foreign parents who don't yet have aus citizenship...how are they supposed to get a passport? Honestly I would have thought being born in Australia meant that you were an Australian citizen!
    Ok so it wouldnt apply to dh. Bil was born march 86... wonder why he had to? And yes, i would have thought being born in aus = aus citizen!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Both DS were born in Aus, before we got citizenship. In order for them to have citizenship we had to prove that we were here legally. So as long as you have an appropriate visa, the child gets citizenship. It was a really simple, easy process - getting a 2 week old to maintain a neutral pose, with eyes open and mouth closed was much harder than the application! All passports including ours once we got citizenship were issued within 4 weeks of applying.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's odd your BIL had to. I'm also March 86 and I didn't have to provide anything extra

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterLass View Post
    Both DS were born in Aus, before we got citizenship. In order for them to have citizenship we had to prove that we were here legally. So as long as you have an appropriate visa, the child gets citizenship. It was a really simple, easy process - getting a 2 week old to maintain a neutral pose, with eyes open and mouth closed was much harder than the application! All passports including ours once we got citizenship were issued within 4 weeks of applying.
    Ah that makes sense!

Quote Originally Posted by BeautyOfTheSoul View Post
    That's odd your BIL had to. I'm also March 86 and I didn't have to provide anything extra
    Yeah it is odd. It was a few years ago though, maybe its changed since then?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did mine in 2008 and even then it was for people born in 1986 but later in the year. i think someone above mentioned August.

Fingers crossed it's easy for your DP

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BeautyOfTheSoul For This Useful Post:

SheWarrior  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ManchesterLass View Post
    Glad to hear that!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nope. Both of my kids were born here. They can't get citizenship until they're 10, can't leave the country either due to custody arrangements.

Awesome for my 5yo son who has ASD. He doesn't receive any of the autism funding.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Nopes!!!!

1 parent must be Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the child's birth to get Australian citizenship. You need to prove this at interview.

If if the parents aren't citizens then the children would be eligible for citizenship of their parents country.

Or when the parents become apply for permanent resident or citizenship they would include the children on it.

Otherwise you'd have too many people travelling to Australia to give birth so that their children get Australian citizenship (and obviously right to live, right to work etc)
    This what happened to me as my parents weren't Australian citizen when I was born yet became ones years later. So when I applied for my passport I had to show both my Australian birth certificate and the Australian citizen certificate as I was born after '86. Plus when my dh applied for his last year it took him less than 2 weeks to receive his once submitted.