+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Leaving bub overnight

I'm sure this has been asked before but at what age is it generally ok for a baby/toddler to go without their mama for a night?
    There's a concert sort of thing on in September that some people I know might be going to and I'm vaguely considering joining them. DS will be 15 months and presumably still cosleeping and breastfeeding overnight, which we plan to be doing for another year or so. He would be home with DP (mind you, he's never done any of the overnight care yet because I've never needed him to).

What do you think, will DS be ok or be totally traumatised by the lack of boobs next to him all night?

I know it sounds silly but a big regret of having an unplanned pregnancy for me was that I never got to go out dancing all night just one last time! (I'm sure I wouldn't last all night these days, but a couple of hours would be nice )

(Tagging @Mod-Nomsie for advice - I think it was you who went away for a few days while your daughter was still breastfeeding?)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (17-04-2015)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Yep so dd was 15 months, feeding anywhere from 5-20 times a night and cosleeping from about 10pm onwards.

And she was perfectly fine for the three nights I was away

My mum came and helped out- df doesn't deal with lack of sleep kindly and when she woke up, she was patted back to sleep after being offered water.

I also went away more recently- she was just shy of 20 months and she was even better. The older they are the better they are at coping with it in my experience.

There is no right or wrong age to spend a night away from them- its just when you feel comfortable enough to do so. But 15 months is generally old enough for them to understand that you're not there so they will just have to deal with it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

deku  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS 13 mo just had a night away from us and LOVES his over night boob. We were at a family party and my mum took him home at 9.30 . I fed him before they left but it took 5 eps of peppa pig on the iPad with grandma cuddles to re settle at midnight. They'll find what works for them 😉

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ButterflyMa For This Useful Post:

deku  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Cool, thanks for your input I haven't made any plans yet (and it is still 5 months away!) but I'll definitely consider it. Haha I wouldn't bet on it but maybe if I'm lucky DS will be sleeping through by then anyway…

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I started going out on night outs with girlfriends when both bubs were 8-9mths old. I'd just leave BM for them. I'd be out of action (out and then hungover) for 12-14hrs.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

deku  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends entirely on your situation and your child. DS had his first sleepover with Nanny just after he turned 1. He had EBM for his night feed and was totally fine. He'd stayed alone without me before but just not overnight. He has his own cot there that he had had naps in before so it was all familiar. Apparently he was actually really excited when he woke up in the morning and realised he was still at Nanny's house lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

deku  (18-04-2015)