+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My DS has just turned 2 and his day naps are getting inconsistent but i still keep our routine as much as possible. I find he knows what to expect and is not often grumpy from being overtired

Morning wake up 730

Sleep midday till 2pm, if he doesnt nap he still had downtime in his cot for at least an hour.

Dinner 630, bath 7pm bed 730pm

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    So yesterday I got him at 6.45. I asked them at cc to wake him up at 1.30 but he slept from 1-2. Then he slept at 8.30 last night.

I got him up at 7 this morning. I tried earlier but he was in a really deep sleep. It's 1.10 now and he's still awake although tired. I put him down at 12.30 so he could wind down. He's talking to me, crying, screaming at me. He loses his shiz if I leave the room. I'm about to throw him through a window.

So what do I do now? Keep him up all day? Time him for an hour's sleep when he goes down?

I'm over it today.

Persist with the nap till 1.45pm. Then if awake let him be but put him to bed at normal time. If he sleeps wake him at 2.30pm.

He might need a longer time to wake in the mornings. On work days my two have to be up by 5.45am. So I put the radio on at 5.30am and turn lights on at 5.40am. That works well.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2015),Mod-Nomsie  (18-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    See my DS has a wake time of at least 6 hours and it's more like 7 - 7.5 hours before he gets tired. I just don't know how to fit that into the day.

And now since his time at FOB last weekend he thinks he has to watch DVDs in bed which had made my job so much harder.

I'll wait half an hour then just try and keep him up til 7 I guess. I hate this.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    It's hard Harvs, I remember going through a lot of the same stuff with my boys. They stopped having naps at about 2.5, then I put them one day a week in FDC with a witch of a woman who disregarded all my wishes and gave them a nap until about 3pm on those days. Those nights it was like 12 or later when they finally went to sleep.

I like Rose&Aurelia's idea of having a contingency plan- try until x, if he doesn't go down so be it, if he does wake him up at y.

I know the struggles really get you down and it's so easy to be over it. Kids suck balls sometimes. (Like DD, right now, I have literally just finished cleaning the whole house. In 2 minutes so far she has taken out the mop and broom and left them as trip traps on the floor, left a giant cookie sheet on the kitchen floor that DS1 just tripped and fell on as I write, and is going through the cupboard with all the wii and ps2 games in it, systematically pulling them all out and casting them aside because KIDS SUCK BALLS)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (18-04-2015),harvs  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Harvs, my almost 3 year old tells me that he's not tired and protests naps...every nap...even night sleeps and I used to wonder if he knew what he was talking about and whether I should respect his statements about not being tired.

However, I've realised that, in spite of his protestations to the contrary he is actually tired. Sometimes he can be particularly cute and engaging when he's over-tired and I can 2nd guess myself.

I hope this question doesn't feel patronising but how do you know that he's not tired after being up/awake for 4 or 5 hours?

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2015),Little Miss Sunshine  (23-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Persist with the nap till 1.45pm. Then if awake let him be but put him to bed at normal time. If he sleeps wake him at 2.30pm.

He might need a longer time to wake in the mornings. On work days my two have to be up by 5.45am. So I put the radio on at 5.30am and turn lights on at 5.40am. That works well.

Thanks for this :-)

He fell asleep at 1.44, so I will get him up at 2.30 which he will hate, but that's ok.

Thanks so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I thought I'd have this whole parenting thing in the bag by the time he was a toddler, but maybe I'll just aim for when he turns 18 :-p

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    Harvs, my almost 3 year old tells me that he's not tired and protests naps...every nap...even night sleeps and I used to wonder if he knew what he was talking about and whether I should respect his statements about not being tired.

However, I've realised that, in spite of his protestations to the contrary he is actually tired. Sometimes he can be particularly cute and engaging when he's over-tired and I can 2nd guess myself.

I hope this question doesn't feel patronising but how do you know that he's not tired after being up/awake for 4 or 5 hours?
    I don't know for 100% that he's not tired. But from experience he won't go for a day sleep after 4 or 5 hours full stop. I've tried multiple times. There are occasional times that he will (like 1/100 times), and it's very very clear that he is tired, but generally not. I also go by the nap times he has at CC, and it usually shows that he has a minimum wake time of 6 hours. Are you thinking that seems too long for his age?

I also know that even with sticking to the 7.00 bedtime every night, it's going to be at least 8.00 to sleep if he napped past 2pm.

But yes, I am rather adept at second-guessing myself, this is true :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My just turned 2 yo DS was a massive pain with naps recently. I starting second guessing myself and if he lost it I would get him up for another 20min or read a book but after a month he was still being painful so I got strict and stuck to the nap time and wind down routine and within a few days he accepted it. I honestly thought he might not be tired yet, but I just knew he needed the nap, he was just pushing the boundaries and not wanting to miss out on anything. Once I stuck to my guns and didn't budge it was much easier for me because I didn't have to think of what to try next or whatever I just stuck with the plan which was wind down from 12:40 (milk and wiggles), sleep suit on and into bed. I also say "time for sleep" when I put him down (have always done that). He would lose it but I would potter about for 5-10min or however long I could listen to his crying then go in and sit next to his cot and not say anything until he fell asleep.

I feel for ya harvs. Why don't they realise we know what's best for them?!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    Thanks for this :-)

He fell asleep at 1.44, so I will get him up at 2.30 which he will hate, but that's ok.

Thanks so much for all your advice, I really appreciate it. I thought I'd have this whole parenting thing in the bag by the time he was a toddler, but maybe I'll just aim for when he turns 18 :-p
    Another idea is to wake him at 6.30am so he naps earlier.

This may not be a popular plan but it works here. If I have both kids up by 6-6.30am they are fast asleep at 12.30pm and I know they will still sleep at 7-7.30pm.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    My just turned 2 yo DS was a massive pain with naps recently. I starting second guessing myself and if he lost it I would get him up for another 20min or read a book but after a month he was still being painful so I got strict and stuck to the nap time and wind down routine and within a few days he accepted it. I honestly thought he might not be tired yet, but I just knew he needed the nap, he was just pushing the boundaries and not wanting to miss out on anything. Once I stuck to my guns and didn't budge it was much easier for me because I didn't have to think of what to try next or whatever I just stuck with the plan which was wind down from 12:40 (milk and wiggles), sleep suit on and into bed. I also say "time for sleep" when I put him down (have always done that). He would lose it but I would potter about for 5-10min or however long I could listen to his crying then go in and sit next to his cot and not say anything until he fell asleep.

I feel for ya harvs. Why don't they realise we know what's best for them?!
    I do this too with my 2.5yo

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (18-04-2015)