+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I wouldn't let him sleep longer on the weekends because I think consistency is the key when it comes to sleep. As much as possible I would give it a week of consistent wake up, day sleep and bedtime and see how you go. So eg wake him at 6.30/7, day sleep at 12.30 and bed at 7/7.30pm. I'm a happy bed sharer but if you want to keep him in his own bed then definitely keep doing that and either lay with him or do as R&A suggested and do the I'm just going to do a job and then I will be back, which will give him a bit of alone time. I'd also limit screen time and anything too excitable right before bed.
    This exactly.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I could have written your post! I'm currently sitting on my 2 and a half year old bed waiting for him to fall asleep. Sometimes he's still awake till 10, sometimes he's out at 7.30! We got rid of his dummy on the weekend as well. He just gets up and out of bed about 20 times a night before he settles. Shutting the door doesn't help. But once he's asleep he's normally out to it. I limited his daytime sleep to no more than 90 minutes and got a stable routine. We have dinner at 6, bath 6.30 (every 2nd night) and books/cuddles until 7.15. Works 50% of the time! He's now telling me he's scared, nightlight has helped a little. Good luck, persist and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to lolz83 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default My toddler and his sleeping

Ha ha I should have started this thread six months ago!

DS said to me 'mummy, I tired!' So I changed him out, put him to bed quick smart, said I had to start my dinner and that I'd be back, and BAM! asleep within 5. So that is 8pm and he napped from 12.45 - 1.30 today.
    @cheeeeesecake, I don't mind holding his hand when it's for five minutes, not 105! But I will think about those other suggestions as he doesn't ask when it's his dad, and we will be heading to more regular transitions between houses so the comforter might help. Gah and now I realise this all will bring up other issues as there is no way FOB will agree to waking him from a nap...

Thanks all for your replies - you've confirmed what I was suspecting I think :-)

ETA although in theory if I work on a routine over the next couple of weeks he should just wake naturally from his nap, right?

And @btmac still 3-4 times? You are unbelievable, woman. Lucky he's cute hey x
    Last edited by harvs; 16-04-2015 at 20:56.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wonder if he'll be less likely to sleep for long periods on the weekends if you manage to get him to sleep earlier and therefore longer overnight?

He knows how to go off to sleep by himself when he's at Daddy's??

hehe, @harvs, I wonder if he finds Mummy just a bit too fun and a bit more responsive to any protest he makes about going to sleep?

What happens when you put him to bef at 7/7:30 but he doesn't sleep until 10 or so? What does he do? And what do you do?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by harvs View Post
    ETA although in theory if I work on a routine over the next couple of weeks he should just wake naturally from his nap, right?x
    I still have to wake my boy if he nods off during the day, otherwise he'd keep napping and then be up until all hours. C is 3.5 and just about dropped his nap completely but there are still days when he flakes out.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

I posted before reading replies. I would have been no help given the great advice you got and the success.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I still have to wake my boy if he nods off during the day, otherwise he'd keep napping and then be up until all hours. C is 3.5 and just about dropped his nap completely but there are still days when he flakes out.
    I wake both my girls by 3pm latest.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    my now 5 year old would take hours to fall asleep, at 2.5 I instigated a self settling technique,

No cc / cio, I would do our routine, stay with him for a bit then say I have to go to x then I'll come right back, if you are sad or need me I'll come right back, the first few nights I was in every minute for hour (made a big deal, its okay, I came right back see? mummy comes back, if you need me Im here) within a week of this he was self settling

eta he did not nap at all during the day, this technique took us from midnight / 2 am bed times to 8.30, self settling and sleeping 12 hour

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ThenThereWereThree For This Useful Post:

harvs  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    I wonder if he'll be less likely to sleep for long periods on the weekends if you manage to get him to sleep earlier and therefore longer overnight?

He knows how to go off to sleep by himself when he's at Daddy's??

hehe, @harvs, I wonder if he finds Mummy just a bit too fun and a bit more responsive to any protest he makes about going to sleep?

What happens when you put him to bef at 7/7:30 but he doesn't sleep until 10 or so? What does he do? And what do you do?
    Ha ha yes I'm sure it's my wildly entertaining personality and total lack of crazy desperation when we hit the second hour that makes me so fun!

If he's not ready to sleep I will let him choose one toy and one book to play with quietly in his bed. When he is just acting out I will usually ignore him. The only thing is if he asks for water or milk I will get it for him as he often won't eat a lot in the evenings, and he always always drinks the whole thing.

Occasionally he will ask for a cuddle. I give him one but count to five while I do it so he knows it is finishing soon. Occasionally he will get extremely teary and ask to go in my bed with me. When he's like that, we lie in bed together for a little while, but I tell him he is sleeping in his bed, then I give him a few warnings like 3 more minutes, 2 more etc. Then I'll say 'are you ready to go back in your bed?', give him a big cuddle and he's usually ok after that.

I think the thing is if he's not tired he's not tired, which is when he can act out and why I've been trying to be more responsive to his body clock, but I've possibly gone too far the other way now I think. I also try to be sensitive to the fact that he has different caregivers with different strategies, and sometimes when he's had lots of interaction with adults who aren't me he is a bit more clingy, so I never want to say no to cuddles when he's feeling a little uncertain.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    So yesterday I got him at 6.45. I asked them at cc to wake him up at 1.30 but he slept from 1-2. Then he slept at 8.30 last night.

I got him up at 7 this morning. I tried earlier but he was in a really deep sleep. It's 1.10 now and he's still awake although tired. I put him down at 12.30 so he could wind down. He's talking to me, crying, screaming at me. He loses his shiz if I leave the room. I'm about to throw him through a window.

So what do I do now? Keep him up all day? Time him for an hour's sleep when he goes down?

I'm over it today.