+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Elective c-section

Although I did not yet get my bfp I am wondering if you can elect c-section? How does it work and how much will it cost? I've heard you can only have c-section for medical reasons, is that true?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If you're going public it can be difficult to get an elective c-sec. But if you're going private *most will agree to do one (*most that I know of). The good thing about going private is that if your Dr doesn't want to do what you want you can just change Drs.

The private pregnancy management fee varies, I paid $3K, plus appointments. A friend paid $1500, another friend paid $6K!! So you'll want to 'shop around'.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It does depend on the reason behind wanting a c section they won't do them for just anything they have to be able to justify the risks to your health for surgery.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Public will be hard unless you have a medical reason but private shouldn't be too difficult at all, just talk with your OB about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Actually, I went Public and requested an elective C-section without having any kind of medical issue/reason and I had no problem at all in having it done.

I was told that in fact, you do have a choice these days, so maybe things have changed or that's just how they do it at the hospital I went to.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It must be different depending on the hospital. I had to fight tooth and nail for mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah up here its not that easy I have lots of physical issues o thought would hinder birth and wanted a c section and my ob said that's not an option straight off but the was if my complications got too bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    I'm sure there will be different rules at different hospitals. I know at mine the policy was/is that for women my age, they like to deliver bub's between 38-39wks as there is an increased risk of unexplained stillbirth from 40wks onwards in women aged 40+.

They prefer to induce but I requested a C-Section @ would've regardless even if they were happy to let me go until 40wks. I remember before the appoint sitting out in the waiting area with my student midwife who was shadowing me/the pregnancy @ saying to her I was expecting opposition @ she told me that you do have a choice these days.

When I told the OB that's what my DP @ I wanted he was fine with it. Went through the benefits of VB @ gave me some handouts then did the same for C-Section, we then discussed the risks of both ( I'd done a crapload of research anyway @ nothing anyone said was going to make me reconsider) then he left the room for a short while to talk to the head honcho OB regarding a date to deliver DD.

When he came back in, he filled out the form requesting the date @ on the form where they ask for the reason for an ekective C-Section, he wrote something along the lines of "wellbeing of baby" @ that was it.