+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default What shift would you chose with school age /toddler kids

So my daughter is off to school next year and as of July I want to change my work hours to fit in with school hours (easier doing it end of financial year so I can sort out centrelink)

At the moment I work Sunday and Tuesday. I left my career job a couple of years ago as I wanted a more flexible job, and although its less pay it has been good to me so far.
    But now I'm torn on what I should do next year. Currently working the Sunday with penalty rates I get $300 for the day, instead of a weekday at $150ish)

So do I do:

Sunday + maybe School hours on a Tuesday (although not necessary to do tuesday)

or

3 x school hour days (but only get $300 week)

or

find another job to do 2 full days (full days aren't available at my work)

I need to make at least $300 a week, my hubby makes the rest for mortgage and everything.

I can see working Sunday is great as I would be flexible to have during the week with my toddler and able to do school drop offs and pick ups, school holidays, and go in to school when they do activities, awards, etc. BUT it's a sunday and I would miss out on everything that happens on a sunday, including birthday parties and all that.

School hours are great, but would require my other daughter in care 3 days a week and would mean i'd need care for both of them over holidays, which could be helped.

Two full days is great, but id need to get another job and also pickups from school would be difficult as I'd be working.

Sorry for long post. Just can't get it off my mind! lol I want that work/life balance! and I don't want to miss out on being there for my little girls

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Keep your Sunday and do two half days (9-2) on Tues and thurs.

No point losing that penalty day. Plus dh needs 1:1 time too!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Keep your Sunday and do two half days (9-2) on Tues and thurs.

No point losing that penalty day. Plus dh needs 1:1 time too!

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.
    Thanks for that. If you don't mind me asking, do your kids go to school? Do you find you do a lot on Sundays that say I'd miss out on if I worked the Sunday.
    Just not sure if heaps of things happen on that day or not?

And I agree, dh does need one on one time- he has actually been doing it for a few years now which is great (and he gets to see how crazy it can get!) lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Id keep the sunday too, sounds like the money is best on that day.

As far as bday parties etc go i find the majority of parties my DD's (7.5 & 4) attend are on saturdays its only very occasionally we get an invite to a sunday party.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolier View Post
    Thanks for that. If you don't mind me asking, do your kids go to school? Do you find you do a lot on Sundays that say I'd miss out on if I worked the Sunday.
    Just not sure if heaps of things happen on that day or not?

And I agree, dh does need one on one time- he has actually been doing it for a few years now which is great (and he gets to see how crazy it can get!) lol
    I usually work Saturdays as my mum is available then to babysit. I miss more things on a sat than I do on a Sunday. I've got a 4.5yo in kindy, 2.5yo and one one the way. I will also have this issue next year when my eldest is in prep but I will 2 at home so will elect to work both sat and sun to avoid paying childcare. They can be in hubby's care and he can quite easily do the kid stuff.

All we do on a Sunday is church in the AM, nap and batch cooking in the afternoon. Followed by an evening of ironing.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Id keep the sunday too, sounds like the money is best on that day.

As far as bday parties etc go i find the majority of parties my DD's (7.5 & 4) attend are on saturdays its only very occasionally we get an invite to a sunday party.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It sounds like you are on a winner with that Sunday in my opinion. Being able to work without the weekday hassle of drop off or **** kids etc is a huge advantage. You will get to have every evening and Saturdays so I think it's great

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

nicolier  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, yeah I think I should keep the Sunday. I was just worried about how much I might miss out on if I kept it. I only wish I had a job that paid as much as it did during the week and was as flexible as my job is now! Oh to dream! lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would also keep what you have in the Sunday & Tuesday.
    Even being organised the night before, I still stress and run around all morning to get two kids out the door and me looking looking semi-professional to get to work and school on time. I much prefer the mornings that aren't as rushed because I don't have a deadline or traffic to worry about.

We haven't been invited to many parties on Sunday's, most are Saturday's. And now that ds is older - there seems less and less bday parties and more 'sleepovers' and movie nights etc. so it's not a real issue. Plus you will learn to make the most of your Saturday being family day. Or late Sunday evening walks/ trips to the park etc in the warmer weather.

I work weekends sometimes so I try and make Friday my cleaning&shopping day so I can enjoy the social time I do get without having to worry about the house or no clean clothes etc. if financially it makes better use of your dollar then I think you will find a way to make it work.

I always felt like weekend work was a little extra bonus because I wasn't loosing 1/4 of my day for daycare fees.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely keep the Sunday! You would be surprised how much you can also miss on weekdays by working, and the school day passes sooo quickly! Sunday is a fab option, IMO!