+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Time limits for baby in capsule? Travel systems

Hi!

I'm new here and a first time mum

Just looking to see others opinions on capsules/travel systems.

I love the idea them but my sister in law just went to purchase one and they told her bub can't be in it any longer than two hours as it's not good/safe for them.

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this? Or even if they can't spend more than two hours did you still have one and still find useful with restricted time frame?

I also am not even sure if bub would spend this much time in one anyways (I'm sure not all babies aren't content for a full two hours or longer lol)

Any advice is appreciated also opinions on which travel system too, thinking strider compact atm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi & welcome! I believe the shop assistants are correct. I was looking into this recently and read quite a few articles where the recommendation was no more than 2 hours at a time in a capsule/car seat. Apparently due to the skightly propped up position it can put stress on baby's developing spine.

I had a strider travel system with DS and honestly I found it to be a waste of money :/ He grew out of the capsule so quickly and we had to buy a reversible car seat instead - which was a much better investment as it will last him until he's 4yo. And I found the capsule to be a pain to get out of the car. If he was sleeping the capsule would end up being jiggled so much while I was trying to get it out of the car and attached to the pram (which made a loud click!) that it would wake him up anyway!

I actually just started lifting him out gently and transferring him to the reclined pram seat and it worked much better for me.

Some people love them, I didn't :/

ETA - might be better with a different travel system, but I didn't like the strider.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing to thread as I have no idea & want to find out too

Thanks
    Reviews
    The 2 hour recommendation is correct. I still use a capsule though, it makes childcare drop off and quick trips into shops easier. I would drive the 45m to town, do the childcare run and then get a coffee at macca's all without my youngest waking up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I couldn't have lived without my capsule! Even with the 2 hour recommendation. It made everything so much easier! I hated having to wake a sleeping baby to go shopping, or do school drop off pick ups. It's the one and only baby item I recommend to everyone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I could give or take my capsule-its handy but I agree with pp about the loud click and jiggling (I had a strider as well). The thing is, you won't know how handy it is until the baby comes! Good luck and congrats

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a rebel q pram with a safe n sound Unity capsule and use it all the time and find it rally useful (used it with DS too). It has a 12kg weight limit so can be used until bub is at least one... Hard to lift out when they are that heavy,it it means they can stay rear facing for longer and then move into a bigger seat at that point.

I'd be lost without my capsule... When dd is asleep for popping quickly into the shops or Childcare drop offs, or at a cafe when she will likely need to nap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by raindropsonroses View Post
    I have a rebel q pram with a safe n sound Unity capsule and use it all the time and find it rally useful (used it with DS too). It has a 12kg weight limit so can be used until bub is at least one... Hard to lift out when they are that heavy,it it means they can stay rear facing for longer and then move into a bigger seat at that point.

I'd be lost without my capsule... When dd is asleep for popping quickly into the shops or Childcare drop offs, or at a cafe when she will likely need to nap.
    I love my unity. And kinda ignored the recommendation. It was great to transfer sleeping baby from house to car or vice versa.

my dd2 slept in the capsule for more than the recommended time. She loved it so much that it was the only place she would nap. Usually 2-3hrs twice a day till 5-6mths old.

I also used it when she was sick and couldn't breathe well lying down. We only stopped using it when she was 11.5mths and 12kg.

My next baby will be 4-5mths when my eldest requires the school run. The capsule will let me put bub to nap at home and then transfer to car or vice versa.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone so far!

Like I said I think I'm still keen on it for convenience in general, I'm a librian so I'm the WORST at decision making haha hubby is one too!

Off to shops this weekend to investigate what we like/works best for us, so who knows my mind will probably change a million more times!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't miss a capsule when I had dd but purchased one when pregnant with ds and it has been a sanity saver. He generally falls asleep on the way to her activities (or 5mins from home!) and it means I don't need to wake him to get her in to kindergym, swimming etc

I only have an adapter for our umbrella stroller, not the best but I wasn't buying a whole new pram