+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Spin off - BBQ lunch menu

So, the other thread about dinners got me thinking... We have invited our neighbours over for a BBQ lunch next week. I have a new baby (and 2 other kids) so I need some inspration for quick, easy yet impressive dishes! Anything I can do a day or so in advance is a bonus. I really don't want to do the usual (bikkies / cheese, steak / salad / rolls)... but dont want to overdo it either! So, hit me with your best / fail safe menu ideas 😀

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I always start a bbq with a crostini or bruschetta ( prawn and avocado or tomato goats cheese) and usually guacamole or tzatiki dip and I like to bring all the dinner food out at the same time- all my food can be prepped before guests arrive so I'm only cooking or bbq for about 1/2 hour and I always do desserts that can be done that morning

My fav food for bbqs :

Rum n coke pork ribs - they can be cooked in the oven before your guests come and just bbq for 5 mins before serving - the rum mostly cooks out and the coke gives them a sweet sticky flavour ( it's s Pete evans recipe)

Bbq king prawns on skewers marinated in garlic and lime butter ( thread 1 prawn on 1 skewer length ways - head off tail on ) these will take 4 mins

Roasted pumpkin and Haloumi salad with pine nuts and rocket

Roasted parmasean asparagus

Fresh corn on the cob with miso butter

Polenta chips

Salted caramel cheesecake ( make the night before)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (16-04-2015),TheGooch  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We do the BBQ thing all the time for lunch or dinner if we're entertaining on weekends. I'd be doing marinated lamb, chicken or pork skewers with chargrilled Mediterranean vegetables (sliced eggplant, zucchini, red capsicum) as well as a Greek salad. Here's one of my blog posts from a couple of years ago with sample menu and recipes: http://www.eatingfood.com/mediterran...ast/index.html

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cat74 For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    To start we usually do fried crumbed Camembert with a raspberry coulis. So yum!!! Home made garlic bread or bruschetta is also great.

If we do dips we usually do fresh guacamole (never ever pre made/store bought), sour cream with spring vegetable soup mixed into it (it's much better than it sounds - just buy full cream and not cheapo otherwise it will be runny) or sometimes we do a full on Mexican dip depending on the crowd and style of BBQ.

On the BBQ - Chicken thigh marinated in garlic, salt, lemon and a squeeze of chilli is great for the BBQ and stays nice and juicy.

If you end up doing steak spruce it up with a red wine, salt, garlic and oregano marinade.

Lamb chops with lemon, rock salt and cracked pepper?

Substitute normal sausage for proper Spanish chorizo - yum.

I still suggest making a salad - home made potato salad is fav at our place with homemade mayo (not the sweet bottled stuff). We also do a tomato, onion and avocado salad or something light too.

You could also do a veggie/potato bake. That's always good next to some BBQ meat.

For us the main thing with BBQ's is the marinade on the meat!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TortoiseNotTheHare For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week

Default Spin off - BBQ lunch menu

For Easter this year we did a BBQ and our menu was butterflied lamb leg marinaded with lemon, garlic and herbs. We served it with potato gratin, Mediterranean grilled vegetable salad and a roast pumpkin and baby spinach salad (have recipes if you'd like) and I did a chocolate mousse cake with berries for dessert which I made two days in advance.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (17-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Google mexican corn - with paprika, lime, parmesan, mayo etc - so easy and sooooo good.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hulahoop For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (17-04-2015),TheGooch  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lamb kofta is nice on the BBQ and can be prepped in advance. Marinated meat skewers are also easy and can marinate overnight. I often make a green salad with roast pumpkin, fetta and pine nuts with just olive oil, lemon juice and pepper as a dressing - always popular.

Instead of plain rolls maybe grab a couple of pull-apart loaves from the bakery (bakers delight make nice ones).