+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Part Time Study on Maternity Leave

Hi all I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but it seems the closest. I'm currently working full time and will be starting part time online study in July. That part is the easy part. I've also just started TTC this week, and if all goes well I may have a little one on the way in Jan-March 2016 (fingers crossed!). Anyway, my question is, has anyone been studying in any capacity after giving birth or on maternity leave? If you have, how did you find it? I know it's going to be tough but I really hope I'm not overstretching too much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I worked full time and was finishing of another degree part time externally through CQU. I went on Mat leave and was doing three subjects and managed okay. It was an environmental science degree and I have another degree in med science with a PhD in biochem. I found it easy as the work was familiar to me and didn't take a lot of study. Finding time to do the assignments was tough and I did feel it detracted attention from spending some quality time with bubs. If its a tough unfamiliar area then 1 subject should be fine! Just don't try to do too many!! Good luck with it all!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently doing a phd and DD is now 11 weeks. I guess it depends on your study program but see how you manage FT work and study. I have found that the first 6 weeks were the hardest with a bub and so have done no work and just enjoyed being a new mum and only now am I starting to get things going again.

The things you need to keep in mind are that you don't know how your pregnancy will go, how the birth will go, what kind of bub you will have and whether you'll have "baby brain" for a while afterwards! That said I do know some mums who started studying just weeks after bub was born and are managing quite well and I think part of that is to do with having a good support network to look after bub while attending class and not taking on a huge study load but 1 course at a time.

Hope that helps and good luck with your TTC journey!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you @lolz83 and @netispaghetti! This does make me feel as though it's not impossible. Thankfully I have a really supportive DH as well as in-laws and my own family. I'll be doing a dip ed in secondary teaching and may have the option to defer some subjects so I'll just have to play it by ear. All the best for your studies 😊