+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    @Nafsika How much is she eating at night before she goes to bed Luv?? And does she also have a bottle before she goes to sleep after dinner??

    I'm just wondering if maybe she's eating too much solids as in portion sizes which may be why she won't drink all of her milk quota for the day?? Do you base the volume of milk she should be drinking in a day by her weight or recommendations on the back of the formula tin??
    I try to give 4 bottles of 210ml but it's always 3 bottles

    She has 2x 70 ml tub of home made puree which is packed with veggies and protein
    She will also munch of a little bit of toast.
    A slice of cheese
    Puree Apple
    And depends what we eat for dinner
    And maybe banana.

    She's a small bub and is also struggling to gain weight.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to Nafsika For This Useful Post:

    BlondeinBrisvegas  (16-04-2015)

  3. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,620
    Thanks
    35,353
    Thanked
    19,764
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Hmmm..so maybe too much food?? not so much the slice of cheese/banana, but the rest of it..Pureed veggies/protein/apples plus whatever you eat for dinner.

    Maybe try making her portions smaller to see if she will drink more of her milk. My DD is almost 8 months and she has 4x210mls a day and just eats dinner at the moment. Milk feeds should be the main source of nutrition until 12 months with food complimenting the bottle feeds.

    I'm not saying to cut her solid feeds down, but just to make her portion sizes a bit smaller and see how you go. Because she is eating that amount of solids, I don't think it's unusual that she's dropped a bottle and now only has 3. I think that's pretty normal.

    When she wakes in the morn, do you give her a bottle straight away or let her play a bit for maybe 30mins or so first??

  4. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I personally wouldnt cut back the solids, I know youve had to work hard to get her eating solids from reading other threads. I'd keep going with what youre feeding her, and maybe as PP suggested, dont give her milk as soon as she wakes, give her a bit of time to get hungry first? If she is happy and healthy, i wouldnt worey about trying to force more food into her. Do you feel as though she would be vocal and let you know if she were still feeling hungry? The fact that she sleeps through the night suggests to me that she isnt feeling hungry. You said last time that you saw the paed, he wasnt worried about her weight - is there a reason you are feeling worried now? Perhaps instead of 'struggling to gain weight', she might just be petite, but healthy. I had two dd's that were less than 7kg on their 1st birthday, if that helps (i dont know how big she is now). And if you are really concerned, you can add polyjoule (a high calorie powder)to her milk, you buy it at the chemist but really should use it under the advice of a dr.

  5. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondeinBrisvegas View Post
    Hmmm..so maybe too much food?? not so much the slice of cheese/banana, but the rest of it..Pureed veggies/protein/apples plus whatever you eat for dinner.

    Maybe try making her portions smaller to see if she will drink more of her milk. My DD is almost 8 months and she has 4x210mls a day and just eats dinner at the moment. Milk feeds should be the main source of nutrition until 12 months with food complimenting the bottle feeds.

    I'm not saying to cut her solid feeds down, but just to make her portion sizes a bit smaller and see how you go. Because she is eating that amount of solids, I don't think it's unusual that she's dropped a bottle and now only has 3. I think that's pretty normal.

    When she wakes in the morn, do you give her a bottle straight away or let her play a bit for maybe 30mins or so first??
    I let her play for about 20min.
    She will have 60ml of milk and that's it.

    Her puree isn't much I think...it contains (if I remember everything)
    Spinach
    Rice
    Onion
    Garlic
    Sweet potato
    Broccoli
    Zucchini
    Chicken
    A little bit of pumpkin
    Carrot
    I'm sure there's another veggie in there that I can't remember.

    Today she didn't have her lunch one. But she's also sick.

    She has yogurt also, did I mention that and pancake in the morning. She's never had her quota. Ever.

  6. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,620
    Thanks
    35,353
    Thanked
    19,764
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Or you could try giving her bottles before solids if you don't already do that?? Perhaps as the PP said, she may just be a small built but healthy bub??

    I agree that if your Paed isn't worried then you prob shouldn't worry either

  7. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    2,497
    Thanks
    364
    Thanked
    337
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheeeeesecake View Post
    I personally wouldnt cut back the solids, I know youve had to work hard to get her eating solids from reading other threads. I'd keep going with what youre feeding her, and maybe as PP suggested, dont give her milk as soon as she wakes, give her a bit of time to get hungry first? If she is happy and healthy, i wouldnt worey about trying to force more food into her. Do you feel as though she would be vocal and let you know if she were still feeling hungry? The fact that she sleeps through the night suggests to me that she isnt feeling hungry. You said last time that you saw the paed, he wasnt worried about her weight - is there a reason you are feeling worried now? Perhaps instead of 'struggling to gain weight', she might just be petite, but healthy. I had two dd's that were less than 7kg on their 1st birthday, if that helps (i dont know how big she is now). And if you are really concerned, you can add polyjoule (a high calorie powder)to her milk, you buy it at the chemist but really should use it under the advice of a dr.
    Every time I see your name I feel like a cake...lol

    The paed said she was fine and growing along the curve and will be small like me.

    She's a very happy child unless over tired or in pain.

    I weighed her again today, still 7kg. I'm really hoping for a growth spurt.

    I just worry because I see all these bubs who are big and she's just little.

  8. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    8,620
    Thanks
    35,353
    Thanked
    19,764
    Reviews
    7
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    Oh Luv... You don't need to worry about other babies only yours. Comparing babies is like comparing apples and oranges, so many factors that determine size, length ,weight etc.

    The fact she's growing along the curve is the main thing. If she was underweight or not growing at all for months on end, then that really would be a worry. Even if she is only growing slowly but steadily, that's ok, because the main thing is she is growing

    Pls don't worry, keep doing what you're doing and as for the morning feed, well maybe that's just how she is. Maybe it's worth splitting the bottle up into 2 or 3 so that after the initial 60mls first thing, you can offer her the rest here and there..for eg, maybe an hr later??

    Or else use the the rest that she doesn't drink in some kind of recipe that she will eat so that she's still getting the milk IYKWIM?? She eats really well..better than I do sometimes!!

    You're doing a great job Luv ok?? Hope bub feels better soon

  9. #18
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    7,853
    Thanks
    5,065
    Thanked
    4,446
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Every time I see your name I feel like a cake...lol

    The paed said she was fine and growing along the curve and will be small like me.

    She's a very happy child unless over tired or in pain.

    I weighed her again today, still 7kg. I'm really hoping for a growth spurt.

    I just worry because I see all these bubs who are big and she's just little.
    We see the same paed and DS is consistently on the 3rd percentile despite being born on the 25th and he's not worried either.

    I would wait until she is crying for a bottle before offering it in the morning and see how much she drinks. Then wait 20-40 minutes before offering solids.

  10. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I completely understand how hard it is not to worry. You just need more people around you with little bubs! Remember the growth charts are just an average... so if your bub is on the 3rd percentile, if she was in a room with 100 other babies, she would be about the 3rd smallest. Hey, someone has to be that baby! Im sure parents also worry when their baby is the biggest all the time too - it would be much easier for us not to worry if all the babies were the 50th %, but we all come in different shapes and sizes. If the paed isnt worried, i would try not

  11. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    1,377
    Thanks
    774
    Thanked
    1,772
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    (Whoops) ...not to worry too much also. Youre doing a fantastic job!


 

Similar Threads

  1. One year old doesn't drink
    By Puzzled in forum Weaning & Starting solids
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04-07-2015, 12:56
  2. How much does your newborn drink?
    By PinkIsTheNewBlack in forum Pregnancy & Birth General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 25-08-2014, 19:56
  3. How much water do u drink?
    By kim85 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-07-2014, 00:00

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Ro&Co
Share magical moments this Christmas with this gorgeous gingerbread house. Exclusively available in Brisbane, with FREE delivery in Brisbane Metro areas. Each Christmas Centrepiece is unique and made to order, from $240.
sales & new stuffsee all
Bub Hub Sales Listing
HAVING A SALE? Let parents know about it with a Bub Hub Sales listing. Listings are featured on our well trafficked Sales Page + selected randomly to appear on EVERY page
featured supporter
Life Fertility
Life Fertility Clinic is a boutique fertility clinic located in Spring Hill, Brisbane. Our dedicated fertility and IVF specialists offer professional, holistic, personalised options for the treatment of each patient’s specific needs.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!