+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @Tahli I don't see Lynn but am a Monash patient. I did pgd in Feb this year. Before we started we had to have a meeting with a genetics counsellor. It was a wait of two weeks for the appointment. What the counsellor did was went through the 2 different options, acgh and snp-array. I am going from memory but I think she said acgh was 96% accurate and snp-array was 99% accurate. We had to take paperwork away and sign it and send it back. It was explaining everything again and signing that you understood that there was still margin for error and an abnormal could be normal (not that you would know this) and a normal could be abnormal. Monash only test on day 5 as they take a few cells. The results take 2-3 weeks to come back. I asked about day 3 and she said they don't do it anymore as it is not as accurate.

On the day of egg collection we met with an embryologist who asked us what we wanted to do if none were good enough for testing and we said we would transfer one. I asked if we had only one on day 3 would they biopsy it and she said no, they do not biopsy day 3. The embryologists keep you updated during the week. On day 3 I was called to say I still had 6 going and the stages they were at. I was also asked if i knew if we were going through cgh or snp. Cgh was $670 an embryo and snp was $3700 up to a maximum of 8 embryos. I said it depended on number of embryos. I also booked myself in for a transfer on day 5 in case none were at biopsy stage. The embryologist said they had to be at a certain stage for transfer, a certain stage for freezing and a certain stage for biopsy. On day 5 we received a call from the embryologist about 7:45am. She said one was ready to be biopsied. Another 3 could possibly be biopsied later that day or day 6, the 5th may get there and the 6th was lagging. I I said as there was one to biopsy to do acgh and hoped at least 3 others would get there and I wouldn't have a fresh transfer. About 3 hours later the embryologist called to say she couldn't biopsy it as she couldn't grab enough cells. I said I would come in for a transfer in case it happened to all of them. When we got there, the embryologist spoke to us. She said to forget the lagging one and we still had 5 in play. I asked for the one that probably wouldn't get to biopsy stage to be transferred. The following day (day 6) I received a call to say the other 4 had been biopsied and I got results just over 2 weeks later.

I hope my essay helps 😀 just know that you can decide on day 5 what you are doing but you need to communicate your thoughts with your Nurse and the embryologists during the week.

Good luck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Emerald26 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just to clarify, all of mine were tested on day 3. I think it might cost more to test separately.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babyinjune For This Useful Post:

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    From memory mine were tested at day 5 and MIVF received biopsy results on day 6. So transfer on day 6 if any are normal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpotTheOcelot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gee the clinics do things differently from each other don't they. Thanks @babyinjune. @SpotTheOcelot it's interesting that you got your day 5 PGD results the next day, compared to two weeks later for @Emerald26.
    Emerald your 'essay' of info was littered with golden nuggets of info specific to Monash. I'm so grateful, thanks heaps. I've made a long list of notes. My FS seemed to say that embryos going over to day 6 was a no go, but obviously not in your case. The extra few hours sounded like just what they needed. I had no idea about the genetics counsellor apt so I'll make that on Monday. Thanks for explaining the two different types of testing too. The major thing I'm gleaming from your experience is that it's a fluid situation and to make decisions as the week unfolds. Having the benefit of your experience will no doubt help. It's never straight forward is it!
    As I'm single, I'm actually now contemplating doing a stim cycle to egg bank, in case Prince Charming comes along at some point in my life, and then doing a stim cycle for embryos. Does any-one know if Lynn allows you to do back to back stim cycles? I can't imagine getting many eggs per cycle. If I got 4 eggs per cycle I'd be thrilled!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    H Tahli , I did pgd with lynn at monash, as emerald explained, there are 2options , the cgh or the SNP array, we opted out the snparrY and sent it for biopsy to the US..the results cMe in about 3weeks.. 2 were perfectly normal and 2 had inconclusive results which means that the scientist sometimes cannot take out enough cells from the embryos which can be studied.... We had a total of 4 blastocyst sent and paid 3700.....

hoping it it works out well for you and you will Have an appointment. With a genetic counsellorbefore before u start ivf and pgd... Good luck

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue77 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (27-04-2015),Tahli  (26-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ahh, I see @Sue77, that's why it take 2-3 weeks, the embryos are off racking up frequent flyer points! Ta so much for your good wishes. Is it ok to ask what you chose to do with your inconclusive embryos? If the question is too personal pls just sing out.
    A slightly off topic question...what vitamin type tablets would you suggest. So far Lynn has recommended Elevit, Vit E, Co-Enzyme Q10 and Melatonin. Or do you know of a post where this has been discussed recently?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (27-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Tahli.. No it's perfectly fine to ask me anything

we we actually did pgd only because we had ivf at mivf and had 2 previous pregnNcies through it by transferring day 2 embryos... Which had random chromosomal abnormalities.. Then our confidence was shattered and we came to Lynn who said we could do pgd as I have had 2 previous miscarriages.. We also wanted to do it to find out if we could ever make normal embryos..and 2 out of our four came out absolutely normal.. We were thrilled and transferred both of them one by one hoping that they would stick.. But due to no known reason, I guess just extreme bad luck considering lynn is so thorough... Both of them did not implant..

we we then met lynn again and she said that she wanted to try with the other 2 which had come inconclusive result.. As she was hopeful as long as we keep making blasts and are ready to try , one will stick.. As we had proven ( though only o n paper) thT we could make normals... And she said from day 2 to day 5 most of the weeding is done.. anyways.. We decided to do another fresh cycle this jan and collected 2 more blasts which we didn't send for testing.. As we thought even after paying the money, We are having to transfer the inconclusive ones... So now we have 4 blastocysts to try upon. We will try them one by one . Just started a frozen cycle this moth .
    transfer will be around mid May..I have just stopped thinking about anything..and . I don't think anything is right or wrong as long as it works for you.. It's an irony with us that the wrong ones stuck and the right ones didn't.. But you can't keep thinking of what has already happened, need to put your chin up and try again positively... One of the girls on Lynn's thread just delivered twins yesterday with multiple failed cycles and abnormal results in pgd, she transfered the 2 inconclusive ones... So I am just trying to keep my faith in lynn. It gets really hard sometimes, seeing that u have tried everything, still it hasn't worked, but as long as lynn is saying she wants to try , I wont cAll it quits...and yes normally pgd normal embies have a very high success rate of about 60 percent.. Sorry for the long story and Good luck with whatever decisions you make xx

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sue77 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (27-04-2015),SpotTheOcelot  (29-04-2015),Tahli  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry @Sue77 I've just seen your reply. Thank you so so much for sharing your story with me. I've learnt heaps from it. The decision on whether to transfer untested or inconclusive embryos is keeping me awake at night. On a brighter note, super enormous amounts of good luck for your FET this month.
    For anyone else reading this who is just starting out like me, I met with the genetics counsellor this week. I got a next day apt. Monash are only doing one type of genetic testing now at $670 (half the price of last year apparently) per embryo and they are tested at the Childrens Hospital in Melb instead of the USA. 95% accuracy. 2-3 wk to get the results. No Medicare rebate.
    Does anyone know if they can tell the gender of the embryo?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (03-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @Tahli I'm pretty sure they can tell the sex of the embryo's Luv, but will wait for one of the other Girls to chime in to confirm

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (16-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes u can. My last embie is a boy. Transfer is in a couple wks.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarah1982 For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (15-05-2015),Tahli  (16-05-2015)