+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @Tahli I never had any of our embryo's PGD tested as we couldn't afford it at the time. But I do know from some of my other BH Buddies who have had it done that they seem to mainly embryo bank before testing..which in all likelihood would mean doing a couple of stim Cycles first to get them.

Not everyone does it that way. Some test per stim Cycle depending on the amount of embryo's that they have. What day do they test at your Clinic Luv?? Most FC's have a maximum amount of embryo's they'll let you keep in the freezer to test, so you'd have to check with your FS/Clinic what their rules are.

I don't think there's a minimum as such, but, if for eg, your Clinic biopsies them on Day 5, you might only have a couple left at that stage that are suitable to be tested. Most women would bank those (if that's allowed at your FC) and stim again to get some more before sending them all of to get tested. Some embryo's aren't suitable to be biopsied, so there's that to consider too.

Also, so FC's charge per embryo to be tested, some for the testing itself as a whole. Some Ladies do put a fresh untested embryo in and hope for the best, some don't and just do a freeze all and go on to the next stim Cycle. Best to check with your FS about that Luv and see what he/she recommends. Will put a shout out shortly to some of my friends here who've had it done to see if they can shed a bit more light, ok Luv??
    Last edited by BlondeinBrisvegas; 24-04-2015 at 08:54.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 20/8/15100 Posts in a week - week ended 13/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 6/8/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 30/7/15
    @Sue77 @SpotTheOcelot @Skyler @Chiefsgirl ......Can any of you Lovelies help shed a bit more light on @Tahli's questions about the PGD testing???

Any other Lovelies from my threads that I've accidentally forgotten, please feel free to chime in too!!!

Thanks Lovelies......

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had a scratch done in my third cycle, but that wasn't a success - I wouldn't read too much into that though as it turns out my eggs are duds!

After 4 stim cycles and 5 transfers that were duds, I changed to another clinic that offered PGD testing. I didn't get many embryo's each cycle as I didn't produce alot of eggs! We ended up doing a further 3 stim cycles where we froze all at day 3. On the last cycle (#4) I asked them to thaw all the frozens and test with the fresh ones we had.

Not all survived the thaw, and one of my good looking a graders kinda failed the thaw too. I did day 3 testing, but my clinic also did day 5. I chose day 3 as I figured if they were duds at day3 they'd probably be duds at day 5.

I'm really glad I did the pgd testing as I had a couple of great looking blasts at day 5 that still came back abnormal after PGD. We had 8 embies tested in all.

Where are you based? I know of one clinic in Sydney that tests per embryo now and it's capped at a certain amount. So it is a lot cheaper than the $3850 we paid for the 8 tested. And you can test on each cycle rather than banking.

I would definitely recommend testing if you are unsure if your eggs are the issue. My first FS would have had us continue doing cycle after cycle and there really was no hope with my eggs. It's good to know what you are playing with.

Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chiefsgirl For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-04-2015),SJ565  (24-04-2015),Tahli  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thanks for popping in and replying @Chiefsgirl

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Chiefsgirl  (24-04-2015),SJ565  (24-04-2015),Tahli  (24-04-2015)

SpotTheOcelot is offline 'Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I highly recommend PGD... I spent years putting back what looked like great embies when in fact going to the next level of biopsy would have shown them to be duds from the start.

My second stillborn baby was a perfect looking embryo, we implanted that embie and froze two average looking embies. The fresh embie turned out to have Trisomy 13 and we lost the baby at 28 weeks.

Our final IVF round at MIVF we did PGD, it was an additional $3,500 or so on top of the fresh stim charges. I am a poor responder and was 42 at the time.... so we decide we needed to harvest embies as I was told ideally we need 10 embies as a minimum to be biopsied as the stats show about 1 to 2 would be perfect and the others would have issues.

We decided to also put the two frozen embies in the mix too as we could biopsy up to 5 or 6 embies for that price and then it went up $$$$... but check with your clinic as things may have changed and every clinic is different.

Well I did not respond well at all and it was suggested we cancel the cycle but I said no as I have a tendency to beat odds.

So we ended up having on good fresh embie and one average frozen go to biopsy, on my 43rd birthday I turned up for my transfer to be told out of 2 one was perfect and it was the average frozen one from a couple of years earlier!

See... what looked like an average embie has turned into the most perfect baby girl who is now 16 weeks old whereas the best looking fresh embie a few years ago was so damaged that she was stillborn.

In saying that no matter how perfect an embie is they still may not result in a pregnancy but the odds in our favour are increased as you know what you are looking at.

Feel free to PM me or ask any more questions

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SpotTheOcelot For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-04-2015),SJ565  (24-04-2015),Tahli  (24-04-2015),yjeu  (27-05-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Thank-you @SpotTheOcelot for helping out too

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

SpotTheOcelot  (24-04-2015),Tahli  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to MIVF and they did day 3 testing, results back by transfer on day 5.
    That said, you don't get results till on the way in for the transfer... Or rather, no news is good news, meaning the appointment hasn't been cancelled and something passed testing.
    I had one cycle of "banking" as on day 3 there were only 4 left and I had chosen 5 minimum to test (Dr wrote on my file to freeze all if less). 5 tested had after all been lucky for me in my first round (2 good = Baby boy, followed by a missed miscarriage).

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to babyinjune For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-04-2015),SJ565  (24-04-2015),SpotTheOcelot  (24-04-2015),Tahli  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Golly gosh @BlondeinBrisvegas @SpotTheOcelot @babyinjune and @Chiefsgirl. I'm not sure where to start. Thanks soooo much for sharing the wealth of your experience, even the terribly painful parts. My heart breaks with the losses you've suffered. You've been very kind to this newbie. I wish I had friends like you in real life.
    I'm with Lynn B at Monash & had my 1st chat with my nurse today. Thanks to all of your info I was armed with lots of questions. She said I pay a deposit of $2010 and for each 5 day embryo that's tested it costs $670. If you spend over $2010 then they invoice you the extra or under that then they reimburse you.
    Now that I know that I'm guessing there would be no need to embryo bank? Would you 'risk' putting a fresh untested embryo back in? Lynn very directly asked if I would terminate a Downs bub at 10 wks if she put a fresh embryo back in. I found this really challenging to answer on the spot.
    As I'm 40 with a low ovarian reserve, a poor responder & suffered recurrent miscarriages I can't imagine even being blessed enough to get a frostie to test but if I did I feel alot better about paying $670 to test it than thousands.
    From you sharing your experiences I am now going to progress with PGD.
    I can't remember which thread it was on but somebody suggested which painkillers to take before the scratch. Would a Codeine tablet be ok or too strong? Are you allowed to drive yourself home? Just working out the logistics with a toddler.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (24-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    @Tahli You're more than welcome Luv!! Lynne B is one of the best so you're in great hands there

When I had the scratch the first time on Cycle 4, I was advised to take Naprogesic tabs beforehand. Some women take Nurofen, etc. A codeine tab wouldn't be too strong Luv, but just check with your FN that it's ok to take as I've found that FS/FC can have different rules about what painkillers they prefer you to take.

For my second scratch on Cycle 5, my FS ended up writing a script for Endone for me as having the procedure done (and all my ET's) were always excruciatingly painful for me due to some scar tissue on my cervix from previous Gynae surgery and the fact that I have a "tight cervix" apparently

I got my DP to drive me home both times as I was a little crampy afterwards (which is totally normal btw as is spotting) plus the second time I was too out of it on the Endone's anyway!! If you can, I'd get someone to drive you, if not, try to maybe allow an hr or so afterwards before you drive just in case you need a bit of a break first IYKWIM??

That is a pretty direct question to be asking. Did she ask it with the thought in mind that it's better to wait and have them tested first before transfer or what the worst possible outcome could be by transferring one that's not been tested??

All our embies were untested (obviously) and if it makes you feel any better, my answer would've been yes. I'd risk transferring the fresh embryo only if it wasn't suitable to be biopsied. I wouldn't waste the opportunity as just because it can't be tested doesn't necessarily mean it's abnormal IMO.

I think because you can pay per embryo to have them tested, then you don't need to embryo bank unless you want to try to build up some numbers first. If not, then test them as you go Luv to you!!!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to BlondeinBrisvegas For This Useful Post:

Tahli  (25-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ta heaps @BlondeinBrisvegas. I've made a list of the pain relief you suggested & will see what my FN suggests. I'd love to take half a codeine tablet. A full one knocks me for six! I'll arrange a taxi home I think. I'm sorry yours were so excruciating. Sounds flippin' awful for you but I'm glad the Endone did the job in the end! Okey dokes, so expect cramping & spotting.
    She asked the Downs termination question because she suggested a 5 day fresh untested transfer. I've been having a good think about it & I couldn't terminate a bub at 10 weeks (absolutely no judgement to mums who could or have chosen to). I know this in my heart of hearts. Which leads me to want all embryos PGD tested first.
    @babyinjune thanks heaps for your idea of testing on day 3 followed by a day 5 transfer if the test result is all clear. (Then test any remaining embryos at day 5 and freeze them). Does any-one know if Lynn B/Monash offer this option? If so, that would definatly be my game plan.
    Last edited by Tahli; 25-04-2015 at 13:36.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahli For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (25-04-2015)