+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    I know I am responsible for the damage so my title could've worded better. I just want to know what I might be up for in terms of being liable for repairs. I am happy to pay the excess for my landlord's insurance. In a way this is a good thing because I was going to buy a unit built by the same building company snd have realised how poorly the drainage and water-proofing are in their bathroom design.

I still can't believe this happened because I'm OCD when it comes to checking the iron and other things before I leave home. I guess when you are sleep deprived anything is possible. Ironically, I use to to laugh at the Alliance insurance ad thinking how anyone can forget their on bathtub. Duh me.
    It depends on a few things:
    The age of the building and if it is bad water proofing then the builders insurance will cover it

If it's an older building then the owner pays for damage and repairs to its unit and the body corporate pays the repairs to internal spaces and other peoples units

The landlords insurance will cover the repairs to the bathroom and waterproofing but sometimes they do not cover damage to carpets ( if any) as that could be under your contents insurance and yes they can ask you to pay the excess if you were at fault

Did you notify the agent when the bath overflowed?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Fina14 did you find out any more?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Elijah's mum- building is 7 yrs old or less and strata contacted my agent. I didn't think I need to because there was just one small wet patch of carpet outside of the bathroom door.

The damage inside my unit was so insignificant that I was shocked to learn 5 other units had more damage. Strata emailed my RE agent saying they will receive an invoice for the other units' damages and RE agent emailed us that they will pass the invoice onto us. Hubby emailed back saying how did they determine we were at fault for the other units so quickly, questioning whether a proper investigation has been carried out. We also asked about landlord's insurance, why it's not being used in this situation.

Agent says we're at fault, owner has no insurance and we need to carry out our own investigation if we want to get out of paying fir repairs. I'm stressed out about this and sick daughter is now in hospital. I'mI staying up late now to find out how she is. I need a brwak from all this unpleasant events. This is our first time as tenants...we assumed landlords take out insurance cover. WWyd in our situation?

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Fina14 sorry to hear this and hope your DD is okay. There is a dept you can ring for advice but i can't remember the name. @Elijahs Mum might be able to point you in the right direction

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

TheGooch is offline Winner 2014 - Newbie of the Year
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Even if the owner has insurance, that insurance company is likely to come to you to recoup their money.
    If there is no one at fault, The insurance will pay out and likely the owner's premium will increase.
    But where the insurance company to pass on costs to someone else, they will.

I'm so sorry this has happened. What an awful situation to find yourself in. I hope it can be resolved quickly so you know where you stand.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TheGooch For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    In a strata building its so strange for the owners not to have insurance to cover their unit esp when its being rented out id be pushing that question again.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RmumR For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dont buy that the owner doesnt have insurance. Surely they must?! I would ask again.

Im sorry for such a stressful time, op, I hope your daughter is ok

11. The Following User Says Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't buy that either, especially if their property has a mortgage on it!! No-one who owns property wouldn't insure it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert01 View Post
    I don't buy that either, especially if their property has a mortgage on it!! No-one who owns property wouldn't insure it.
    Yep, this. Even more so if you are putting the care of that property into strangers hands.

Are you able to contact the owners directly? I'm also surprised it damaged 5 other units - how is that even possible?!

Hope your daughter is doing better

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (16-04-2015),Fina14  (16-04-2015),ThenThereWereThree  (16-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is there a Tenancy Advisory Service you could call for advice?

I wouldn't assume that what the Real Estate tells you is gospel. There may be a degree of bluff in the info they present and they may just be passing on the owners wishes/beliefs.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (16-04-2015),SuperGranny  (16-04-2015),VicPark  (16-04-2015)