+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Who's responsible?

Hi everyone, I left the bath tub overflowing and it has leaked to the units below. Strata building manager came to my unit to track down the source of the leakage and informed me of this. So if the ceilings of the below units are damaged will strata make me pay for the repairs or do they use strata levy funds to do so? I am so worried now. Any real estate agents, anyone with personal experiences or strata managers out there can provide me with some info. on possible outcomes. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't know the answer but if you are liable couldn't you claim on your insurance? Not sure if its buildings insurance but isn't that organised through the strata (i know with ours it is as then they know everyone is insured)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Molros For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm only renting the unit and didn't think to have home insurance. A aaa Alliance insurance ad pops into my mind now. Such bad luck the last two days. I was soaking my daughter's soiled bed clothes from her vomiting last night and then I stepped out for less an hour to take her to the doctor and this happened.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Well, you are responsible- being the one who caused the damage.
    But I don't know if you will be the one to pay for repairs...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would think you are responsible but hopefully the landlords have landlord insurance and you might only have to pay an excess?

Im not sure how it all works with strata etc

You poor thing how stressful!

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heplusme For This Useful Post:

Albert01  (14-04-2015),Fina14  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's structural damage, ie, to the building. If Strata doesn't pay it then it would be covered by the owner's landlord insurance. Only a horrible landlord would make you try to pay anything for this. It wasn't willful damage. It was an accident.

I'd be happy for my Strata fees to pay for it. This is what the fees are for. It's a circumstance that is particular to unit/townhouse house living.

Let us know how you get on OP. 3 years after my first child and I still routinely try to put my mobile away in the freezer

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Btw, we own a rental property and would be happy for our insurance to pay for this, especially if the tennant was good and we wanted to keep them in our property.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert01 For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The landlords should have an insurance policy that covers this kind of thing, so they might ask you to pay the excess. If there's water damage to 2 units, the bill would be huge to pay for it privately! Have you spoken to the landlords yet? I would also go and have a chat to the person downstairs as well if you haven't already!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I know I am responsible for the damage so my title could've worded better. I just want to know what I might be up for in terms of being liable for repairs. I am happy to pay the excess for my landlord's insurance. In a way this is a good thing because I was going to buy a unit built by the same building company snd have realised how poorly the drainage and water-proofing are in their bathroom design.

I still can't believe this happened because I'm OCD when it comes to checking the iron and other things before I leave home. I guess when you are sleep deprived anything is possible. Ironically, I use to to laugh at the Alliance insurance ad thinking how anyone can forget their on bathtub. Duh me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Fina14 View Post
    I know I am responsible for the damage so my title could've worded better. I just want to know what I might be up for in terms of being liable for repairs. I am happy to pay the excess for my landlord's insurance. In a way this is a good thing because I was going to buy a unit built by the same building company snd have realised how poorly the drainage and water-proofing are in their bathroom design.

I still can't believe this happened because I'm OCD when it comes to checking the iron and other things before I leave home. I guess when you are sleep deprived anything is possible. Ironically, I use to to laugh at the Alliance insurance ad thinking how anyone can forget their on bathtub. Duh me.
    Mistakes happen, that's why insurance exists! We all have 'whoopsie' moments and some are just more expensive than others! Don't best yourself up about it

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Fina14  (14-04-2015)