+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    But that is what is happening. The people I know that don't vaccinate have been entitled to certain government benefits for the years that they have had children. Now they won't.

But on the other hand, if suddenly (within a few months) you had to pay for vaccinations, now, assuming we're not talking thousands of dollars here, most people would be able to start putting small amounts aside in the lead up to a child needing a vaccination. That is still very different - saving to pay - than having a large sum of money suddenly missing for your current budget. Y'know?

Sure, if we're talking about people yet to have children, then your opinion stands, but those already on the benefit system are going to be adversely impacted without those 8'ish months to save.

We're also talking about loss of FTB supplement (yearly pay out) and the childcare rebates and benefits. So it may also impact on families who currently can only afford to work if childcare is subsidised. So if they lose those rebates and benefits, and therefore can't afford to use childcare, and therefore have no child care during working hours, then they're going to stop working and stay home. Which could result in them being on other government benefits and finding it hard to get back into the work force, because they have no child care.

This is a much bigger issue than the one posed by the OP asking if vaxxers would pay for the vaccinations if they weren't free. Doing that is not an ongoing cycle of potential poverty. Vaccinations only happen at set, regular intervals, living does not.

Now sure, you could argue that in that case, people should just vaccinate and all would be well. But of all the non-vaxxers I have known, and continue to know, they are not going to go against their judgement and reasons (whether others agree or not), just for the sake of money. They would rather do anything they could to survive being making that compromise. And I just don't think that is a fair - or decent - position for the government to put them in.

I totally agree with you. I am very strongly pro vax and I'm one of the vulnerable in society who has basically no immunity and I rely on others vaxing but I don't agree with this policy.

Many stridently anti vax people are in a higher socio economic bracket and won't be affected by this and those in a lower socio economic bracket still won't vax so I figure it will be their kids who miss out money wise.

Don't get me wrong, I think something really needs to be done but I don't think this is the right course of action.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

beebs  (14-04-2015),Lillynix  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    I think you've misunderstood my post - I'm not talking about new parents, I'm talking about the benefits not being taken away until 1st Jan 2016 which is 8 months away.
    Sorry, I did misunderstand, but my point still stands. Parents have 8 months to save up for the next X amount of years worth of childcare benefits, rebates and FTB supplements, that they would now miss out, in order to continue to survive/work? Is that what you're suggesting?
    Last edited by Lillynix; 14-04-2015 at 12:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would put a bet on at least one anti vaxxer I know that would start vaccinating if this comes in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    In light of this whole vaccine in the media thing...

Would MONEY change whether or not you vax?

Non-vaxers, does not receiving a government payment change your mind? Does losing welfare payments make a difference? Will you go out and vax now?

Vaxers, would you for vaccines? If you had to pay for your vaccines would you still go out and get them???

For the record, i dont vax and this doesnt change my mind. I still wont be vaxing.

I would hope it wouldn't.

I want to vax my kids, and if I had to pay for each vaccine, then I would try my hardest to find a way to do so.

If I didn't vax (I cannot imagine why I wouldn't), losing money probably would make me do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    If vaccines were to no longer be free it would not change my position on vaccination. I would give up everything to ensure that I had the money to vaccinate my ds. His health and well being is of the utmost importance to me

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes, i would pay to vax - health care is something i prioritise. I pay to see the gp, specislists, allergists, etc as I have needed to for my children - vaxxing would be another health related cost added to that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We vax. If we had to pay then we would find a way to do that. My children's health is too important for me to ignore.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pay for them if I had to, I would still fully vaccinate my children

Thanks
    Reviews
    Money wouldn't make a difference to me. If we had to go without something else so that dd could be vaccinated then that's what we'd do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I'd still vaccinate if I had to pay.