+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    if I had to pay for them it'd be much harder, Im a single mum so finding the $$ to cover rather expensive vaccination would make it harder, I wuold still want to though

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    They are sometimes, if you have underlying health problems like asthma you can get them free.
    You would think they would have something for adults similar to the child vaccine schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Honestly...I strongly believe in vaccination but there would be a point at which I wouldn't be able to afford them...say at $5000 each shot. If do it if there were payment plans but if they required cash upfront for each child there would be breaking point. If it was as they are now at a few hundred each shot there would be no question of me doing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yeah, they absolutely should. Adults need whooping cough vaccines every 5 years - yet hardly anyone knows about it and it isn't free. That needs to change for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by atomicmama View Post
    You would think they would have something for adults similar to the child vaccine schedule.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillynix View Post
    I'm not sure the OP is a realistic comparison. It's comparing the loss of government benefits, to paying out of pocket. I just don't think the two are comparable.

Of course people who vaccinate are going to want to keep doing that, even if it means they have to find a way to pay for the vaccines. But those who don't vaccinate, for their own reasons (which to them are valid reasons - even if no one else agrees with them) are looking at losing money, that could very well make a huge difference to their families. They are essentially being coerced into vaccinating, despite their reasons for not wanting to, just so they may be able to afford basic necessities.

They are being told to vaccinate or potentially suffer financially (yep, what a great choice that is). They are not being asked to pay for vaccinations, for which one can budget for and make the provisions to ensure vaccinations are done.

Nope, they're not comparable.
    But they have the next 8-ish months to budget for life without benefits if they want to continue by vaxxing, it's not like their lower income is being sprung on them overnight.

I pay for my own whooping cough vaccination, I used to pay for my own flu vaccinations until my company began providing them, and I pay for my dogs vaccinations. I would 100% pay for my child's vaccinations if I had to (though I am mighty grateful for the government covering that cost!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No, I am pro-vaccination regardless.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think this policy is a good one either, and I am very pro vax. Targeting those that will suffer most due to payments being taken away doesn't seem like the right way to go about things though.

I'm not sure the OP is a realistic comparison. It's comparing the loss of government benefits, to paying out of pocket. I just don't think the two are comparable.

Of course people who vaccinate are going to want to keep doing that, even if it means they have to find a way to pay for the vaccines. But those who don't vaccinate, for their own reasons (which to them are valid reasons - even if no one else agrees with them) are looking at losing money, that could very well make a huge difference to their families. They are essentially being coerced into vaccinating, despite their reasons for not wanting to, just so they may be able to afford basic necessities.

They are being told to vaccinate or potentially suffer financially (yep, what a great choice that is). They are not being asked to pay for vaccinations, for which one can budget for and make the provisions to ensure vaccinations are done.

Nope, they're not comparable.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Lillynix  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There are a few others, my Pneumococcal was free because I had Pneumococcal pneumonia (kind of crazy that it is free after you already catch it!), my fluvax is free due to asthma. I had to pay for the Dtap - and it was $125 - but well worth it in my opinion.

I think though more education and free vaccines for adults would be a very good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    My flu vax was free through work.

BCG (TB) was free through uni.

I don't remember paying to update my DTP and MMR vaccines when starting uni.

If you get the MMR vax post partum because you're rubella non-immune, you don't pay for that either.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

atomicmama  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by JR03 View Post
    But they have the next 8-ish months to budget for life without benefits if they want to continue by vaxxing, it's not like their lower income is being sprung on them overnight.
    But that is what is happening. The people I know that don't vaccinate have been entitled to certain government benefits for the years that they have had children. Now they won't.

But on the other hand, if suddenly (within a few months) you had to pay for vaccinations, now, assuming we're not talking thousands of dollars here, most people would be able to start putting small amounts aside in the lead up to a child needing a vaccination. That is still very different - saving to pay - than having a large sum of money suddenly missing for your current budget. Y'know?

Sure, if we're talking about people yet to have children, then your opinion stands, but those already on the benefit system are going to be adversely impacted without those 8'ish months to save.

We're also talking about loss of FTB supplement (yearly pay out) and the childcare rebates and benefits. So it may also impact on families who currently can only afford to work if childcare is subsidised. So if they lose those rebates and benefits, and therefore can't afford to use childcare, and therefore have no child care during working hours, then they're going to stop working and stay home. Which could result in them being on other government benefits and finding it hard to get back into the work force, because they have no child care.

This is a much bigger issue than the one posed by the OP asking if vaxxers would pay for the vaccinations if they weren't free. Doing that is not an ongoing cycle of potential poverty. Vaccinations only happen at set, regular intervals, living does not.

Now sure, you could argue that in that case, people should just vaccinate and all would be well. But of all the non-vaxxers I have known, and continue to know, they are not going to go against their judgement and reasons (whether others agree or not), just for the sake of money. They would rather do anything they could to survive being making that compromise. And I just don't think that is a fair - or decent - position for the government to put them in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    But that is what is happening. The people I know that don't vaccinate have been entitled to certain government benefits for the years that they have had children. Now they won't.

But on the other hand, if suddenly (within a few months) you had to pay for vaccinations, now, assuming we're not talking thousands of dollars here, most people would be able to start putting small amounts aside in the lead up to a child needing a vaccination. That is still very different - saving to pay - than having a large sum of money suddenly missing for your current budget. Y'know?

Sure, if we're talking about people yet to have children, then your opinion stands, but those already on the benefit system are going to be adversely impacted without those 8'ish months to save.

We're also talking about loss of FTB supplement (yearly pay out) and the childcare rebates and benefits. So it may also impact on families who currently can only afford to work if childcare is subsidised. So if they lose those rebates and benefits, and therefore can't afford to use childcare, and therefore have no child care during working hours, then they're going to stop working and stay home. Which could result in them being on other government benefits and finding it hard to get back into the work force, because they have no child care.

This is a much bigger issue than the one posed by the OP asking if vaxxers would pay for the vaccinations if they weren't free. Doing that is not an ongoing cycle of potential poverty. Vaccinations only happen at set, regular intervals, living does not.

Now sure, you could argue that in that case, people should just vaccinate and all would be well. But of all the non-vaxxers I have known, and continue to know, they are not going to go against their judgement and reasons (whether others agree or not), just for the sake of money. They would rather do anything they could to survive being making that compromise. And I just don't think that is a fair - or decent - position for the government to put them in.
    I think you've misunderstood my post - I'm not talking about new parents, I'm talking about the benefits not being taken away until 1st Jan 2016 which is 8 months away.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast