+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trying to force me on maternity leave after making me handover two month early

PLEASE HELP!! my new manager is hell bent on saving costs at the expense of her staff. My replacement started three when I was 6 months pregnanct (as she was returning to the business anyway) my manager has forced me to handover all my work and direct reports to my replacement, even though I made it clear I am still there for another 3months and didn't want to.
    Me and the replacement are awkward because the manager is pushing me out, she said she was doing it in my interest so I could take it easy. There's isn't enough work for both of us, plus I do a long drive to work to do nothing!!
    I asked my manager if I could work from home as now 36. Wks, and she refused even tho non pregnant workers do this often. I feel she's trying to push me out onto mat leave to avoid paying two people, but I can't afford to go early And the awkwardness is making my life hell. To top it off, an aggressive male direct report was disciplined for being agressive and rude towards me and since his formal warning he's ignoring me despite me managing him for thr last yr!! All this is adding to stress and feel like I hate it there. Any advice?
    What I want to know is that at 36 wks, if I get signed off for two wks for stress or anxiety, would this automatically start me on mat leave or is this only for pregnAncy related issues.

Please help!! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Have you checked with Fair Work? If not, I would get them to answer the question. Sorry you're in this situation OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey, I am not sure about your specific workplace but we have a rule where you need a certificate to say you are fit for work in the last 6 weeks of pregnancy. If you take any more than a couple of days of sick leave during this time it automatically puts you on to your maternity leave. How much longer are you planning to work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    We're the same, we have to take maternity leave 6 weeks before or have a doctors cert saying able to work but aren't allowed to work past 4 weeks until due. Anything after this time automatically starts maternity leave. Are you able to ring HR & ask?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just turn up and do nothing if that's how they want to play it. Play there game make yourself look somewhat like you are working and take it easy. When were you planning on finishing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilypily View Post
    I would just turn up and do nothing if that's how they want to play it. Play there game make yourself look somewhat like you are working and take it easy. When were you planning on finishing
    This. To be honest even if you're in the right you won't win. Just cruise through and play their game. Maybe they insisted on you handing most of your work over as they didn't think you would last till the end. Many women plan on working till the end but start to really struggle and go early. I held on till 38 weeks but it wasn't easy. I certainly wasn't working very hard!

Yes your manager probably is trying to force you out early so she doesn't have to pay two people. But just keep rocking up and smirking in her face. I had someone try to call me in on overtime at 36weeks, when there were other people available. I declined!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Instead of being a cow with alterior motives could your boss just be super organised?

I would have loved the opportunity for a good handover when I went on mat leave instead of the 2 days I got.

Perhaps you could just say to your replacement or boss "I've got nothing to do at the moment, what would you like me to help with?" Then if they don't give you anything go grab a decaf coffee and read the paper.

9. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-04-2015),Curby  (14-04-2015),MaximumStarlight  (14-04-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (14-04-2015),MsViking  (15-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Sounds like your manager was being proactive and didn't want to end up in a situation where the other person wasn't trained and competent in the role before you left.

Like a pp said, you can offer to help and if there isn't anything to do, just do little jobs and take it easy

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 36 wks now, she wanted me to go at 6 months pregnant, which would have really cut into my mat leave with the baby.
    I have asked what else I can help with but she only wants reports pulled which take 1 hr max then I'm done for the wk.
    I'm naturally so hard working and get bored easy, so travelling an hr each way really is getting touch to stare at my four plain white walls all day.
    I'm in the uk, and as long as you're fit to work they can't force you on mat leave right up to the due date, even tho I'm finishing at 38 wks.
    I will try and take it easy going forward and roll on mat leave!!!!!
    Thanks for the advice ladies 😘

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Maybe you could ask your manager if it's ok if you approach another manager to see if anyone in their team has anything for you to do? You get some more work and your colleague will love you for taking some work off their plate.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JR03 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (15-04-2015)