+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Mater private Vs Public Hospital

Hi ladies,
    I'm a young mum to be living in brisbane. I'm really struggling to decide on public or private health care. Particularly, Mater private hospital vs Mater public. Has anyone any advice or first hand experience win either hospitals?
    My main concern for a public hospital is getting lost in the system, without the comfort and continuity of seeing the same doctor. Any advice would be so helpful!
    Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Congratulations on your pregnancy.
    Firstly, they are the same physical hospital, so the facilities are mostly the same. If you're wanting continuity of care your best bet is to either go private OR though the midwifery group practice (MGP) where you have a known midwife throughout your pregnancy, delivery and after. The midwives work in teams of 4-5 and you get to know all the midwives in the team at the antenatal clinics and of your midwife is on a day off when you're in labour, then one of these midwives will cover. In the general public system, you only see a doctor once during the antenatal period, unless there are complications in your pregnancy in which case you would see them more often, and likely not the same doctor. They do try to give you the same midwife for all your antenatal appointments so you have some continuity, but they won't be there at the delivery. In labour, you only see the doctor if there's a problem. Otherwise it's midwives the whole way. Privately, your doctor may not even be there the day you will deliver, and then one of the obstetricians on their "team" will cover and be at the delivery. Unless you look at somewhere like Arrivals obstetric group, who work similar to the MGP midwives in that you meet all 6 of the doctors during your antenatal period and whoever is on call when you go into labour will be at the delivery.

Next, what sort of birth do you want? If you want a water birth/hypno birth/a la natural birth, then you're best going publicly (although I've heard a rumour that *some* of the private obstetricians are ok with water births). If you want an epidural at the first contraction then either is fine, but publicly they will want you in good established labour before giving an epidural to reduce the chance of labour slowing down and requiring augmentation. Privately they're more than happy to give you an early epidural, break your waters and augment your labour.

Birth suite midwives are the same for both (unless you go MGP). Midwives on the postnatal floor are equally as competent. Some of the casual staff work between the public and private floors. If you want an extended stay in hospital, go private (4 days for vaginal birth, 5 days for a cs). If you want to be out within a day or 2 then go public.

The public side is very busy. People sometimes feel a bit rushed (both midwives and patients). Privately because you're there longer it doesn't feel quite as rushed. For breastfeeding women, their milk may not even be in when they go home publicly, whereas most private women will have their milk in, established feeding or have a good plan in place if there are still issues.

Once you're home if you go public you will get home visits from a midwife. If you go normal public it's up to 3 visits, if it's MGP public then it's up to 6 weeks as many visits as you need. If you go privately you only get home visits if you leave hospital early (although there is a new program starting up sometime in the future where all mums are seen at home by a child health nurse or midwife).

Hope that helps. Obviously it's a very generalized summary but it's the basics of what you'll need to think about

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (13-04-2015),LittleDove  (14-04-2015),meredithgreyxxx  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have had 3 babies at Mater Public and no complaints! I did MGP for number 2 and 3 and couldn't recommend it enough (had same midwife both times!)
    The only thing with your first baby is that if it is all uncomplicated they will send you straight home from birth suite, so you don't stay at hospital at all. I think that would have freaked me out with my first. Although you can call your midwife night or day.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Mater private Vs Public Hospital

I just had my baby privately at Mater Private. I went through Arrivals Obstetrics, who the PP mentioned, and yes, you get to see all the Obs throughout your pregnancy.
    In relation to water birth, my doctors at Arrivals supported it, and I successfully had one.... Mater were running a water birth research trial which I participated in. A friend mentioned the other day that this research program trial had ended with great success and that it was now available at Mater birth suites as an option (depending on lots of things like whether a birth pool is actually available, and whether you are a safe candidate for water birth.... ).
    I could not have faced a shared room after either of my births; that, and the fact I wanted to stay in hospital for a reasonable time to establish breastfeeding properly, were the main reasons I went private at Mater.
    On the issue of midwife home visits, they have recently commenced offering home visits after discharge to private patients too, as long as you are in the catchment area.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TreeGirl For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went with mater private. And also through Arrivals obs.
    I was a funny case though and saw the same OB throughout due to bubs heart condition. He was amazing. And very caring.
    My stay was easy. I had one midwife who was very pushy and really didn't take the time to understand our unique situation with my daughter's rare condition. .. But all the other midwives on the ward were just lovely.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    The mater has the same birthing suites for both public and private. Main difference is the post natal care and rooms for recovery.

I had both mine privately as I live out of catchment. Either way you will get excellent care. The mater midwifery group practice is excellent and easily the best in the state. Other hospitals are basing their maternity ideologies on the Mater.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by TreeGirl View Post
    On the issue of midwife home visits, they have recently commenced offering home visits after discharge to private patients too, as long as you are in the catchment area.
    Ah yes, if private patients live within the public catchment they are getting the home visits. It's for the people who live out of catchment that they're trying to get up and running

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I went public and liked having different doctors etc as they all have different things to say that were useful. I didn't really see a doctor that often anyway, it was mostly midwives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm currently going through Mater public for my first pregnancy - I've found it really good so far. I ended up with GDM though so I see doctors more frequently than midwives, and I'm there almost every week for follow ups etc. They've been really thorough and I love the appointment system, they make them for you and you get reminders. It makes it so much easier to keep track of everything.

I've also had a couple of instances in the pregnancy assessment unit and they were great too, and the antenatal classes are also really good so far. There are lots of resources you can use through Mater.

We'll see how the birth goes, but I feel completely comfortable and in good hands there which is the best you can ask for when it's your first time and there are so many unknowns! 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went Mater Private with my first and Public with the next 3. The only difference I found was being under the care if and OB when private as opposed to seeing the midwife clinic in Public. The Private floor is a little bit nicer with your own room, coffee machines and nicer food but with my next 3 in Public I didn't want to stay long anyway. It certainly was not worth the extra money to go private. I had much more intervention with my first birth under an OB's care compared to a Midwife. Also, I only had to share a room overnight with my 4th, the other times I had my own room! .