+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Mandatory Circumcision? Benefits outweigh risks 100 to 1.

I wasn't sure whether to put this in vaxxing or circumcision as it does cross over so admin is welcome to change it if they wish. In light of the recent discussion about forcing families to vaccinate or loose money how do those of you that support the anti-vax measure but don't circumcise feel about this?

This study/article shows the individual and public health benefits to circumcision and suggests it be mandatory.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...mandatory.html

What if some pollies and a newspaper runs with the study and pushes for mandatory circumcision, talks about linking it to welfare payments.

Hypothetically if this were to happen would it 'make' you circumcise your son, keeping in mind that medical research shows it is better for his health and the health of others, and that if you don't you would loose benefits?
    (Personally for me - still a no)

Thoughts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week

Default Mandatory Circumcision? Benefits outweigh risks 100 to 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Hootenanny View Post
    keeping in mind that medical research shows it is better for his health and the health of others
    Does it!?

In any case, death is unlikely the result of being uncircumcised, death is a huge possibility with measles, whooping cough etc, so no I wouldn't support it. They're two completely different things.

I mean if no one ever washed their hands or covers their mouths while coughing and sneezing there would be more illness than if everyone was diligent but they're hardly going to cut welfare for people who don't practice good hygiene are they?

You can't even compare circumcision and vaccinations.
    Last edited by A-Squared; 13-04-2015 at 15:25.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

ssehl  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excerpts from article

Many doctors, along with the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), agree that while health benefits of circumcision outweigh the risks, the decision is ultimately the parents’ to make. In 2012, the AAP changed its policy statement, discarding its neutral stance to weigh in heavily on the side of circumcision..... Noted by the APA in its recently updated policy statement, the benefits of circumcision include “prevention of urinary tract infections, penile cancer, and transmission of some sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.”

“What’s more he will harm others, from sexually transmitted infections which include oncogenic HPV types that cause cervical cancer, a potentially lethal cancer.”

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    To compare circumcision and vaccinations is insane. What impact would this hypothetical bill have on females? Would they too expected to be circumcised, or is it only boys that need be unnecessarily butchered?

I would rather forgo welfare payments than have my son have a 'routine circumcision'.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Curby For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-06-2015),Gentoo  (13-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (13-04-2015),just her chameleon  (13-04-2015),New Hope  (13-04-2015),ScubaGal  (13-04-2015),ssehl  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    Does it!?

In any case, death is unlikely the result of being uncircumcised, death is a huge possibility with measles, whooping cough etc, so no I wouldn't support it. They're two completely different things.

I mean if no one ever washed their hands or covers their mouths while coughing and sneezing there would be more illness than if everyone was diligent but they're hardly going to cut welfare for people who don't practice good hygiene are they?

You can't even compare circumcision and vaccinations.
    Circumcision decreases the risk of a woman contracting cervical cancer from her partner, in 2011 Cervical Cancer was the third deadliest cancer for women, killing 229 women. Deaths from measles, whooping cough is much lower.
    These are valid statistics, from medical sources, which could be used to support the argument. (not saying I agree with the argument!!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Curby View Post

I would rather forgo welfare payments than have my son have a 'routine circumcision'.
    So would I

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    I'd want to read the actual study before I believed those figures at all. Knowing who funded the study and on what grounds they're saying it is more beneficial would be key here.

This
    “Just as vaccination, failure to circumcise will put your son at serious risk of adverse medical conditions and he could indeed die from some of them,” he said. “What’s more he will harm others, from sexually transmitted infections which include oncogenic HPV types that cause cervical cancer, a potentially lethal cancer.”
    is highly emotive and certainly should not be part of an academic review. While there is a slight increase in the chance of transmitting STIs for an intact man there is only one sure way to prevent the spread of STIs and that is the use of condoms. To say that an intact man WILL spread STIs is a joke and discredits this person's argument.

The benefits mentioned have been picked apart numerous times. There are also many benefits to not circumcising that aren't even touched on in the article. Also, circumcision is still a fairly common practice in the US. There is still a lot of stigma attached to not getting it done. That isn't the case here so the chances of it becoming mandatory in Aus are so slim. If were to I would it would just add to the reasons for us to pack up and leave.
    Last edited by Chunkydunks; 13-04-2015 at 15:56.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),Starfish30  (13-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Chunkydunks View Post
    I'd want to read the actual study before I believed those figures at all. Knowing who funded the study and on what grounds they're saying it is more beneficial would be key here.

This

is highly emotive and certainly should not be part of an academic review. While there is a slight increase in the chance of transmitting STIs for an intact man there is only one sure way to prevent the spread of STIs and that is the use of condoms. To say that an intact man WILL spread STIs is a joke and discredits this person's argument.

The benefits mentioned have been picked apart numerous times. There are also many benefits to not circumcising that aren't even touched on in the article. Also, circumcision is still a fairly common practice in the US. There is still a lot of stigma attached to getting it done. That isn't the case here so the chances of it becoming mandatory in Aus are so slim. If were to I would it would just add to the reasons for us to pack up and leave.
    The quote was from Brian Morris who is a staunch advocate. He also talks about HIV, HPV, Penile Cancer etc. In regards to transmitting the disease you would have no more control over your son transmitting a disease than any other.

I imagine people reading this who are anti-circ are recoiling in horror at the thought, and would rather be penniless than circ their child. I imagine they would be horrified to have their personal choices and beliefs be tied to their ability to produce an income for their family.

it's a slippery slope asking for and allowing this power to given to the government.
    Last edited by Hootenanny; 13-04-2015 at 16:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't they usually quote that approx 100 baby boys die every year in the USA from complications after circumcision? I wonder if the study took that into account.

You can't wear a condom to stop you from catching whopping cough. Yet you can prevent almost every single STI by wearing one.

So i don't think you can compare the two.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 13-04-2015 at 16:17.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-06-2015),trustno1  (02-06-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My decision to vax or circumcise is 100% dependant on the science behind it. I vax, because the science says the benefit far outweighs the risk. I have always decided i would not circumcise, because science and the medical profession say that it is unneccesary. If that changed,and the medical profession as a whole said that RIC is neccesary and important for society because xyz studies show over & over again how beneficial it is in preventing disease,etc, i would circumcise. Im really dubious as to the source posted, because in australis, the majority of the medical profession do not support RIC, because the science says it is unneccesary. (Unless there is an issue specific to a child). If that changes, yes, i would circumsize my boys in line with that.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-04-2015),GrabbyCrabby  (13-04-2015)