+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    We're a shoes off house. Dh actually has to take his work boots off outside.

In other peoples houses it usually varies. Ie. If its a party we're likely to keep our shoes on (as you may be walking in and out all the time) but if we were going to my parents, for example, we would take our shoes off at the door. I find most people are quite flexible with guests and leave it up to them and what they are comfortable with.

AdornedWithCats is online now Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    Also if you live there you have your own cup that no one else is to use...I never try to go and get myself a glass of water as once I did and accidentally took someone's cup and didn't realise I had to use a "guest" cup

Bit odd ...but each to their own I guess!
    My parents do that. My mum does it in my house too, always uses a specific cup/mug!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't care at my place cos we do a bit of both. As for at other people's house, I follow what they do. If I get there and they don't have shoes on I take mine off. If they have theirs on then I keep mine on. It's just easier that way IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We do shoes off, we have a shoe rack/seat at the front door for shoes to go in. But if someone came to my home and didn't want to de-shoe I wouldn't be offended. We take shoes off when we visit my parents too, I swear they must have half my kids shoes at their place!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally, I think it's really rude to ask people to take their shoes off before entering a house, and I take offence when I'm asked to do it. I feel very uncomfortable without shoes on and I would hate to think that my asking someone to take his or her shoes off, made them feel uncomfortable too.
    In terms of others taking their shoes off when they visit us, I prefer them to keep their shoes on. Bare feet can transmit just as many germs (if not more) as shoes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to siansmum For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    We are a shoes off house.

When I go to other's houses I go with whatever their shoes on/off preference is.

I prefer my guests to take their shoes off, but I don't ask them to. We have floorboards in this house though - when we rented an apartment with light coloured carpet I used to ask all guests to take their shoes off, otherwise it would have gotten filthy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Is it wrong that I want to tag @VicPark?

We're a shoes off family - it's mostly because of the farming environment.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HappyBovinexx  (12-04-2015),Missbear  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Shoes off here. If visitors don't take their shoes off though it doesn't bother me unless they aren't covered in mud or something. People usually do seem to take their shoes off though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/9/2014Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/7/2014200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I'd love to have a house that clean, that a shoes off policy would make a difference but I have dogs

The gender cups are hilarious!

Anyway OP I don't think you've been inadvertently offending people, it's common enough here.

One of my family members has a shoes off policy tho, which drives me a little nuts because it's also a no dogs inside policy, even though there is a dog that lives there and is allowed inside. Makes me not want to visit as I can't deal with the stress of locking the dogs up outside.

I do feel to a certain extent that houses should be liveable and not preserved for some future unobtainable date. But shoes off is just about keeping the floor clean which I totally get.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would follow what owner of the house does when visiting. If they have no shoes then remove shoes, if they are wearing shoes then wear yours in. If in doubt just ask.

I've visited lots of client's houses and following the rule of following the owner works.
    Last edited by Night Owl; 12-04-2015 at 22:44.