+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Shoes inside...what do you do?

I grew up overseas where it was very wet and snowy, so the culture was that you would take your shoes off when you entered someone's house. It would actually be considered incredibly rude not to, and houses had a shoe/coat room for that purpose. Even workmen removed their boots.

After moving to Australia we got a bit more relaxed as obviously we are not wearing snow boots and many homes are tiled. Our family culture is that we take our shoes off at the door, but I don't expect guests to do so.

When going to others houses I used to automatically take my shoes off out of habit. But I noticed other people weren't. I then started just taking them off if we went to a carpeted area. I usually take DS shoes off at the door...because who knows what he has stepped in.

Anyway my MIL actually finds it incredibly offensive if people come into her home WITHOUT shoes. But I didn't know that for a long time. I have literally never seen her without heels on. Obv I wear shoes in her house now I know! She does have some quite stringent house rules though (drinking from gender specific cups, no putting feet up on couches etc) so I am not sure if this is a her thing or an Australian thing.

I have lived here for 15 years...have I been offending everyone I have visited?! Help!

Do you take your shoes off at home or other people's homes? What is the norm?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think many people either dont care or prefer shoes off so i think you are safe. With the gender specific cups and all ur mil sounds like she is in an odd little world all her own. I personally get my family to take shoes off but only ask guests to if i have a crawling baby or younger in the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Other people home shoe off unless told not too.

My home shoe taken off inside and stored Inside. The snakes/spiders etc.. are too bad to leave shoes outside. I don't want to be a 'Woody' and shout there is a snake in my boot.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you both...that's a relief.

We actually replaced our carpets a while back and asked MIL to take her boots off as the floor was literally brand new. She refused and it all caused this massive drama so I have always been too scared to ask anyone else to remove their shoes lol!

Glad to know I am not the only one who prefers shoes off inside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We're a shoes off house. We currently have a crawler, but even normally we like to have floors inside that are clean and prefer not have all of the outside walked inside. I'm actually a bit offended when people walk all over my house with their shoes on.

The only time I leave my shoes on at another person's house is if they really truly insist that they stay on as they have a shoes-on policy thing going on or if I know that the person never cleans their floors and that my socks/feet will go black/filthy if I take my shoes off (and that my shoes aren't particularly muddy, etc.) - the amount of people whose house I would do this at is now standing at...3. Even our kids know now whose house we take shoes off at and whose house we leave them on for without having to have that awkward discussion at the door as they usually automatically take them off!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Gender specific cups??? That's an odd one.

I think you're pretty safe doing what you already do. Most people don't care either way. Sometimes I take my shoes of and sometimes I don't. It depends on the whether, how long I'll be there, why I'm there and who's house it is. My twin brother has a rule that everyone takes their shoes off...except our mum which really throws off my 4 yo niece I don't care because the living area in our unit is all lino but generally for us, we take our shoes off as we walk in the door. I prefer to be barefoot anyway so the sooner I can take my shoes off the better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gender specific cups, she sounds loopy!!!
    I take my shoes off at other people's houses but don't mind what people do at mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyBovine View Post
    Gender specific cups. Is that so girls don't catch boy's germs?
    That is one of the oddest things I've ever heard of. Definitely not an Australian thing.

In terms of shoes on/off, I automatically take them off when I go inside other peoples houses, but aren't offended if people don't take them off at mine.
    No idea about the cups...men get mugs..women get flowered tea cups with saucers...there are also gender specific plates and glasses. Also if you live there you have your own cup that no one else is to use...I never try to go and get myself a glass of water as once I did and accidentally took someone's cup and didn't realise I had to use a "guest" cup

Bit odd ...but each to their own I guess!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 26/3/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Patience86 View Post
    No idea about the cups...men get mugs..women get flowered tea cups with saucers...there are also gender specific plates and glasses. Also if you live there you have your own cup that no one else is to use...I never try to go and get myself a glass of water as once I did and accidentally took someone's cup and didn't realise I had to use a "guest" cup

Bit odd ...but each to their own I guess!
    Growing up we had mugs of our own but they weren't off limits to everyone else. They were only labeled as such because they were gifted to us at some stage. Your MIL sounds like she might have OCD if she has all these stringent rules in place.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chunkydunks For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-04-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I hate wearing shoes inside my house, always take them off at the door. It's a general polite thing to do esp around here (small town/lots of farms) as your shoes are mostly dirty/muddy.
    If I go to someone's place and they have shoes on then I generally don't take mine off unless they are wet/muddy but if they're barefoot then I generally remove mine.
    I wouldn't ask someone to take them off though, unless we just got new carpet.