+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Thanks ladies.
    @besha: i wouldn't have to think twice to go priv if we aren't financially tight. My OB also delivers at SJOG Mt Lawley and Subi but he hasn't been doing it for a long time as far as i heard from the receptionist. When I asked him, he recommended me to stay with Glengarry saying I would get better experience there. I am not sure if it is an honest opinion since his practice is somewhere in the neighbourhood and obviously convenient for him. That's why I am asking around on the forum. One thing that scares me about SJOG Subi is the OOP cost. While my friend had a great experience there, her OOP was $10k. Everything seems to have a gap (even basic thing like BT). Glengarry tends to use no gap anaesthetic etc. Of course, they have no control over the unforeseen so I will still factor this in. So far, I only got charged for 10w BT when I went to SJOG lab. I usually go to a different one. I am not sure that's because the lab or standard across all other labs for 10w blood.

@Jodiet768: if the baby comes early, where do they send you then? Will I still get the OB to deliver or the other hospital is in charged?

@Sariele: thanks. Good to know at least there is one natural birth case. I haven't known anyone in my social circle that has natural birth in Australia. No joking. Most of them aren't elective either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Glengarry private hospital (Perth)

A friend of ours had a very early bub (27 weeks) and was sent straight to KEMH (via ambulance after arriving at Glengarry to be assessed). The Doctors there then took over and they didn't see their private OB again. She was discharged 2 days after birth but bub remained in KEMH for 10 or so weeks. (He is now 3).
    We also live close to Glengarry but I didn't really want to see any of the OB's there, that's why we opted for SJOG Subi although it is further away. The other thing that deterred me was that I have heard they don't have an anesthetist rostered on, only one on call. So if you wanted an epidural you may have to wait for someone to arrive to administer and it could be too late.
    I also have 3 work friends who have had Csects (elective) there and have loved it. They can't speak more highly.

ETA- I delivered at SJOG subi for DS in 2013 and it was nowhere near $10k oop for us. We are with MBP on top hospital cover with a $250 excess (we had already paid it that calendar year for my egg retrieval so no excess after delivery). My Dr is no gap for HBF patients but I'm pretty sure it was less than $500 for delivery for us. His 20 week management fee is $2900 and we got the max $500 ish back from Medicare. That was the biggest oop we had.
    Last edited by TeamCarts; 13-04-2015 at 12:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had a few friends who have delivered at sjog, and I don't think any of them have been out of pocket that much - not that I've specifically asked, but I'm sure it would have come up at some point if that were the case as none of them have heaps of money sitting around! Maybe it's worth contacting the hospital and asking for average cost of delivering there? We chose Subi for the reasons I outlined earlier, plus we have a friend who is a nurse there and she chose to deliver there so I think that is a good vote of confidence for the hospital! I understand it's a tough decision to make when finances are tight though.

I know it's different, but I've had day surgery at mercy a couple of times (before it was sjog) and didn't have any oop expenses apart from pharmacy. The anaesthetists and other doctors I saw have always been no-gap. I'm with hbf.

And as far as costs for BTs go, I know I'll be charged for the 10w bloods (haven't received the account yet) but I've had heaps of blood tests at sjog pathology as it's the pathology place attached to my GP and it's always been bulk billed. So I think that test just isn't fully covered by Medicare.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post

@Sariele: thanks. Good to know at least there is one natural birth case. I haven't known anyone in my social circle that has natural birth in Australia. No joking. Most of them aren't elective either.
    I can understand your concerns then. I can say though that I had a natural delivery at a private hospital too. Not even any pain relief at all, not so much as a single puff of gas. It was never even offered to me, which I was surprised by. The only intervention I had was episiotomy and ventouse, but that was after nearly two hours of pushing so they really let me have a good go of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just pm'd you 😊 I hate to say it but I would put money on the fact your OB feels most comfy at glengarry and its most convenient so that why he is pushing for there. I personally think the services provided at Mt Lawley are much better and it has a much much higher vaginally delivery rate than Subiaco!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies for all the replies! I really appreciate it.

SJOG subi option is out. OB no longer delivers there. Only Glengarry and SJOG Mt Lawley. Both take the same amount of time to get to during day hr. Quite a hassle. Ha...my friend asked me if the baby can hold out that long?! How do i know? This is my first bub.

It probably comes down to personal preference, I guess. Some people like to deliver in a big hospital (like SJOG), some like more homey feel (Glengarry). I personally like big hospital better due to better equipped but so far my experience has been at smaller priv hospitals (Glengarry and Sydney Hurstville). I can't say anything bad about them. I did get a lot of attentions. I can see things can go a bit crazy in a big hospital if they are busy.

Ya, I guess I won't even bother drive to Glengarry or SJOG Mt Lawley if the baby decides to come early (before 32 weeks), I'll just go straight to KEMH given it is closer to us. I really hope that this isn't the case.

Honestly, if it isn't me not in the right catchment, I'll certainly go public. The chance for me developing GD is quite high due to family history. That says I might end up becomes high risk and needing public hospital delivery in the end. So i feel like i should just go public from the beginning. Anyway, this is not an option at this point. I'll focus back on choosing priv hospitals.

Oh.....I like my OB so far. I went with him by chance. I think it is important that the OB is comfy with the group of midwifes he is working with.

I called. Glengarry does have level 2 nursery. Whatever that means. Isn't this equivalent to SJOG Subi nursery care?

Thanks
    Reviews
    OK. We are finally thinking about the hospital. I felt overwhelm early on so decided to put this mission after 16w.

Have any of you done a tour with Glengarry? I would be interested in knowing what they talk about at the tour and see if it is worth a visit at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @bbhope I know you're asking about Glengarry but I had GD with my pregnancy and had a vaginal birth at SJOG Mt Lawley. I told my ob the first time I met him that I really didn't want a section unless it was absolutely a medical necessity. I went into early labour at 33 wks and there was talk of transferring me to KEMH but they did a scan and decided our baby was big enough for me to deliver at Mercy if they couldn't stop the contractions. They did and I was induced at 38+6 as my blood sugars started going out of control. Good luck with wherever you decide

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Molros: thanks. Low lying placenta that is covering the cervix might give me a higher possibility of having a C-section. I am still hoping it will move out of the way, though. I might also develop GD due to family history.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have been to Glengarry private. They have a few different OBS/GYNS who deliver there. I know one of them in particular has a higher Caesarean section rate and apparently they are a fairly busy Doctor. (My friend chose them as their Doctor) As Sariele has mentioned, most private hospitals have higher Caesarean rates than big public hospitals. A few of my friends have delivered there. One wanted another caesarean with her second (had one with her first after her son got distressed with labour). Other was a natural with no problems.

They have single rooms, which are a little on the small side and they also have "delux rooms" with a double bed. Food is actually pretty good. (Have been to a few hospitals in Perth and some of the food is terrible). Midwives are helpful. The midwife at glengarry when I was there said their nursery is set up to look after babies that come at 35 weeks or later, any earlier would mean a transfer to either Joondalup or King Edwards.

Hope this helps.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to vdreams For This Useful Post:

bbhope  (17-05-2015)