+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Glengarry private hospital (Perth)

I haven't seen any recent review about the maternity ward for this private hospital. Can someone provide review?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had both my children there (2008 and 2015).

It's a fantastic hospital and I would highly recommend it. I would note that when I had my youngest they had a quiet time - there was only me and one other lady on the ward, so we got lots and lots of attention.

The midwives were awesome. I have low pain tolerance and high levels of anxiety and they were very reassuring and competent in their jobs.

When I had my eldest they were super busy (at capacity) and it was still a good experience but definitely wait times for buzzers etc was a lot longer.

Is there anything in particular you'd like to know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Bbhope my cousin had her second baby there in 2012. She had only good things to say, said there was so much food and it was quite good for hospital stuff, and that the middies took her DS to the nursery on the first night so she got a full six hours sleep (she signed a consent for him to have formula if he got hungry). That alone made me think "bliss!", as I only got about 6 hours sleep in total the entire 5 nights I was in hospital, which nearly killed me. They probably wouldn't be that accommodating if they were overly busy I suppose, but just thought I'd mention it.

I will text her now and ask her to send me more feedback, I'll let you know what she says.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine had her bub there a few months ago and loved it! She said she felt like she was on holidays.

I nearly decided on Glengarry but ended up choosing SJOG Subiaco instead, SJOG Subi are the only private hospital with a Level 2 NICU in Perth which was a major factor in my decision. I have also heard that while the equipment at Glengarry is perfectly fine and works perfectly, it's not as new as the equipment they have at some other hospitals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    A friend of mine had her baby there and I believe she was quite happy with the hospital. When I visited her, the rooms, nurses etc all seemed quite nice. Her room was very small though, so you'd have to be strict about visitors!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @Jodiet768: I have been in and out glengarry a few times for immune treatment (out-patient). The food is always good. I didn't look around, though. I also didn't interact much with the midwives other than having them check on me every now and then during the 4hrs treatment. A little hiccup the last two visits with the IV catheter. 4 and 3 tries to get it in. Not fun.

I just want to know the general giving birth experience there. I look it up. Glengarry has the second highest C-section rate in WA. So did any of your friend or family end up caesarean there?

A bit background (sorry for the long essay)

I live SOR but have been seeing this OB since day 1 of BFP due to ivf preg and previous history of early miscarriages. After 12w, he was happy to let me go elsewhere if I wish. I was very keen to go public for the rest of preg because we are tight financially given the cost of immune treatment which isn't covered by medicare. Then, I realised that we aren't zoned to Fiona Stanley and KEMH despite us living closer than Bentley. News was out on feb about getting rid of maternity ward in bentley so I suspect less service and who knows if it still exists later this year. I could try my luck with GP referral like my friend who had done that to get in kayeela last year despite extremely low risk (natural preg). I also phoned Fiona Stanley asking about their high risk criteria but one lady wasn't even interested to pass my phone call after knowing I am not in the zone. Since I found out that my OB is no gap, I am now reconsidering glengarry option. Since it isn't a big hospital, I am curious to know about if they would be able to cope with pre-term baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My friend had a c-sect at glengarry but it was elective.

Does your OB deliver at any other hospitals? I'd avoid Bentley too. I'm in the catchment area for that hospital too...no thanks, I'll go private! I don't know if Fiona Stanley is taking high risk maternity patients yet, I think I read somewhere they aren't set up for that yet? But maybe they will be by October.

Is SJOG Subi an option? They have the best special care nursery out of the private hospitals, plus it's close to KEMH if anything goes wrong and you need to transfer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    @Jodiet768: I have been in and out glengarry a few times for immune treatment (out-patient). The food is always good. I didn't look around, though. I also didn't interact much with the midwives other than having them check on me every now and then during the 4hrs treatment. A little hiccup the last two visits with the IV catheter. 4 and 3 tries to get it in. Not fun.

I just want to know the general giving birth experience there. I look it up. Glengarry has the second highest C-section rate in WA. So did any of your friend or family end up caesarean there?

A bit background (sorry for the long essay)

I live SOR but have been seeing this OB since day 1 of BFP due to ivf preg and previous history of early miscarriages. After 12w, he was happy to let me go elsewhere if I wish. I was very keen to go public for the rest of preg because we are tight financially given the cost of immune treatment which isn't covered by medicare. Then, I realised that we aren't zoned to Fiona Stanley and KEMH despite us living closer than Bentley. News was out on feb about getting rid of maternity ward in bentley so I suspect less service and who knows if it still exists later this year. I could try my luck with GP referral like my friend who had done that to get in kayeela last year despite extremely low risk (natural preg). I also phoned Fiona Stanley asking about their high risk criteria but one lady wasn't even interested to pass my phone call after knowing I am not in the zone. Since I found out that my OB is no gap, I am now reconsidering glengarry option. Since it isn't a big hospital, I am curious to know about if they would be able to cope with pre-term baby.
    My friend had an emergency c-section at glengarry. She was in labor for a long time and the baby was distressed so definitely the best option in her case.

Two other women I know have had c-sections there but both were due to previous emergency c-sections at Joondalup public.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Glengarry private hospital (Perth)

My cousin's was a natural birth. I can ask more about her birth experience but I'm not sure if she's the sort who would go into much detail.

ETA: Also, keep in mind that as far as statistics go, all private hospitals will have high c-sec rates, as women who want electives or who have riskier or more complicated pregnancies will go private.
    Last edited by Sariele; 13-04-2015 at 04:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I live SOR but have been seeing this OB since day 1 of BFP due to ivf preg and previous history of early miscarriages. After 12w, he was happy to let me go elsewhere if I wish. I was very keen to go public for the rest of preg because we are tight financially given the cost of immune treatment which isn't covered by medicare. Then, I realised that we aren't zoned to Fiona Stanley and KEMH despite us living closer than Bentley. News was out on feb about getting rid of maternity ward in bentley so I suspect less service and who knows if it still exists later this year. I could try my luck with GP referral like my friend who had done that to get in kayeela last year despite extremely low risk (natural preg). I also phoned Fiona Stanley asking about their high risk criteria but one lady wasn't even interested to pass my phone call after knowing I am not in the zone. Since I found out that my OB is no gap, I am now reconsidering glengarry option. Since it isn't a big hospital, I am curious to know about if they would be able to cope with pre-term baby.[/QUOTE]

^^they don't do pre-term babies. My son was looking like he was coming a bit earlier than expected and I was going to have to be referred to another hospital.